Dakich thinks Iowa Could be a Top 10 Team

Is he the guy who is Alford's buddy and was badmouthing Iowa a couple years ago saying something like it wasn't a coaching problem? Or is it someone else I'm thinking of?

Even if he is the dooshnozzle that I'm thinking of, he did say this, "Aaron White is a big factor. He is a player that can run, jump, guard different positions, score, and has a good sense. His development as an all-league player would put Iowa at a different level. If he is a good player, Iowa can be good. His development as an all-league-type guy would put Iowa among the top-10 teams in the country."

I think White is a big key, he's got talent, but last year it seemed to me like we couldn't find a place for him in the offense and many times he'd disappear and only could score mopping up rebounds. Hopefully we can figure out how to make him an important part of the offense.

If everything that needed to be addressed after last season got fixed, then sure, this team has top 10 potential. But I think that's unlikely. I think we'll see some improvements along with some inconsistency. We'll be better able to counter-punch this year than last and we'll get some of those close games. I'd bet we'll knock off more than one top 10 team this season. But when it's all said and done I think we'll lose more top 10 battles than we win. I see us ending the season in the top 25, but I'm not ready to go top 10.

I think Iowa can be top 10. When they face the Kansas/MSU/Mich's of the world they have to deliver. Beat a few of those guys, then it can happen.

Just win baby. The rankings can take care of themselves.

Is he the guy who is Alford's buddy and was badmouthing Iowa a couple years ago saying something like it wasn't a coaching problem? Or is it someone else I'm thinking of?

Yes, that's him. I don't know if it means more or less coming from someone that has shown in the past that he doesn't exactly love Iowa, but he does know them. I've never exactly been a fan of his, no matter what game he's calling. just his negative attitude/style, I guess.

Dan is opinionated and certainly a FOA: Friend of Alford. That said he is also an analyst and probably one of my favorites in the game along with Bilas. I love people who aren't afraid to say what they think and risk being wrong.

He knows the game but that said even those who know the game are not always gonna get it right.

Not always a fan of ESPN analysts, but Dakich is one that has seen Iowa enough to be able to analyze them well.
Dakich: Iowa Can Be a Top 10 Team - Iowa Official Athletic Site

Oh, gawd, no. Stop the madness! Just stop it now!!

I realize Dakich is not necessarily predicting Iowa is a Top 10 team, just saying it could be if Aaron White develops into an "all-league player" -- WTH even is that?) and other pieces fall into place. But still, to hang that sort of stuff out there??!!

This is a good Iowa team -- I expect it will be better than last year's. But it still needs to prove it can:

1) Shoot the 3
2) Defend the 3
3) Play "Aaron Craft" style defense at the point
4) Stop big physical players from scoring, rebounding inside
5) Take care of the ball

One day at a time. One game at a time. One bounce of the basketball at a time.

Get back to me at the end of the year with any predictions of Top 10 rankings, challenging for the conference championship, going deep in the tourney (let alone making it to the Dance.)

Ktnxbye

Last edited:
Oh, gawd, no. Stop the madness! Just stop it now!!

I realize Dakich is not necessarily predicting Iowa is a Top 10 team, just saying it could be if Aaron White develops into an "all-league player" -- WTH even is that?) and other pieces fall into place. But still, to hang that sort of stuff out there??!!

This is a good Iowa team -- I expect it will be better than last year's. But it still needs to prove it can:

1) Shoot the 3
2) Defend the 3
4) Stop big physical players from scoring, rebounding inside
5) Take care of the ball

One day at a time. One game at a time. One bounce of the basketball at a time.

Get back to me at the end of the year with any predictions of Top 10 rankings, challenging for the conference championship, going deep in the tourney (let alone making it to the Dance.)

Ktnxbye

We actually were one of the top teams in the country in defending the 3 ball, allowing 30.1% against us which was 3rd best in conference and 40th best nationally. Plus now it is now illegal to play "Aaron Craft" style defense.

Why does it bother you that people are excited about Iowa BB, and expect the Hawks to be good? Does this affect you in some adverse way?

We actually were one of the top teams in the country in defending the 3 ball, allowing 30.1% against us which was 3rd best in conference and 40th best nationally. Plus now it is now illegal to play "Aaron Craft" style defense.

Why does it bother you that people are excited about Iowa BB, and expect the Hawks to be good? Does this affect you in some adverse way?

Actually, Aaron Craft has become known as one of the best defenders in the conference through smart play and quick reactions without the hand-checking that (supposedly) will no longer be allowed. I say supposedly because the B1G is still largely Tom Izzo's, Bo Ryan's, Thad Matta's and Matt Painter's conference when it comes to basketball.

I am happy that people expect the team to be good this year but I have been around Iowa athletics long enough to not count Hawkeye chicks before they are hatched. As I said in my post, "One day at a time. One game at a time. One bounce of the basketball at a time." Learn it. Love it. Live it.

Actually, Aaron Craft has become known as one of the best defenders in the conference through smart play and quick reactions without the hand-checking that (supposedly) will no longer be allowed. I say supposedly because the B1G is still largely Tom Izzo's, Bo Ryan's, Thad Matta's and Matt Painter's conference when it comes to basketball.

I am happy that people expect the team to be good this year but I have been around Iowa athletics long enough to not count Hawkeye chicks before they are hatched. As I said in my post, "One day at a time. One game at a time. One bounce of the basketball at a time." Learn it. Love it. Live it.

Common, I don't have to take anything "one day, game, or bounce" at a time. I'm a fan, not a player who has to focus on the hear an now. My moods can change by the minute. One day the Hawks are the greatest and are gonna be in the NCAA, and the next they are terrible and they will be lucky to make the NIT.

he isn't saying anything all of us don't think could happen.

But that's could - we have to shoot the ball better.

Actually, Aaron Craft has become known as one of the best defenders in the conference through smart play and quick reactions without the hand-checking that (supposedly) will no longer be allowed.

I must have been watching a different Aaron Craft than you were. The one I saw was very physical and would foul out regularly under the new rules if he continues to play that way and the rules are actually enforced. I remember especially during the NCAA's last year getting sick of hearing about what a great defender he was. Even under the old rules I thought he should have been on the bench with with his third foul before half-time in most of the games I watched.

What the **** does one day at a time mean when all I do is watch them play on TV?

I think for Iowa to be a Top 10 team, they have to become better offensively than they were a year ago. Primarily, shooting it better from behind the arc. If it can do that and become a little more multi-dimensional offensively, this could be a special year. That also is assuming that the team picks up where it lefts off defensively and doesn't regress in that phase of the game.

"**** guys, we lost to Tennessee because I was thinking about how cool it would be to play Kansas while being undefeated. Sorry about that."

aaron-craft-defense.gif

I must have been watching a different Aaron Craft than you were. The one I saw was very physical and would foul out regularly under the new rules if he continues to play that way and the rules are actually enforced. I remember especially during the NCAA's last year getting sick of hearing about what a great defender he was. Even under the old rules I thought he should have been on the bench with with his third foul before half-time in most of the games I watched.

Just thought I would point out that in OSU's one exhibition game Aaron Craft had 4 fouls in 28 minutes. OSU as a team had only 14 team fouls. Hand checking? That is the only way he plays defense, he is mercilous in getting into the offensive player and being very physical. Credit to him for play tough defense and taking what the referees give him.

Latest posts