Dakich thinks Iowa Could be a Top 10 Team

But isn't it somewhat important to temper expectations on a message board?

As a long-time Hawkeye fan, I'm thrilled Iowa is getting this kind of pre-season attention. Seriously. I much prefer that than projections that Iowa will again finish in the middle to lower half of the conference.

But we all know projections are worth the bits of data they are written on, which ain't much.

This team still has a long ways to go, and some history to write, before it can be even lightly entertained as one of the top programs in the country. It does a huge disservice right now to talk about how great this team is and to build expectations, and then to see it again struggle to make outside shots and contain some of the better shooters in the B1G, don't you think?

You see though, what you're suggesting is ludicrous. The loud-talking, high expectation fans are asking a 25-win team to win 27-28 given all returnees and newcomers aboard. We expect to do that by having our shooters hit threes. By having our youngsters develop and improve. By having our great 3-point defense stop opponents from hitting threes. By using our major height advantage to gain consistent upper hand in the paint. I could go on. These aren't bits of data on paper or wild assumptions, we're basing this off of a very, very large sample size's evidence.

You? You're telling us to ignore all these things because, what, we expected a lot from that Recker-Evans team?? Drew Tate failed to take the next step in football? I understand how irritating hype can be, but seriously, someone coming off as borderline scared to try to meet expectations really leaves a bad taste in our mouths. You know what I think? I think you're going to be more upset at the losses than those holding up the big expectations. Is that why you're afraid to enjoy all this?

My one and only expectation is Iowa make the NCAA tournament...rankings mean about as much as the fart I let out and thought it smelled great.

any defensive stopper is going to be hurt by these new rules.

Of course it will hurt Craft - there is no such thing as a good defense stopper who doesn't toe the line and play physical at times.

This is where I can partially tell who has actually played basketball in high school or college.

A great defender who doesn't push the envelope?- haven't seen one at any level.

any defensive stopper is going to be hurt by these new rules.

Of course it will hurt Craft - there is no such thing as a good defense stopper who doesn't toe the line and play physical at times.

This is where I can partially tell who has actually played basketball in high school or college.

A great defender who doesn't push the envelope?- haven't seen one at any level.

Well I definitely played basketball and know the rules and fundamentals of the game. Basically what you are saying is that any player or teams that play good defense are now going to suffer, in effect defense suffers. That simply isn't true. Good defense will still be successful and IMO Craft will excel at playing "good" defense and adjusting his game.

The NBA changed their rules similar to what college is doing now. Guess who played in the NBA Finals? The San Antonio spurs, known for solid defense. The good individual defenders in the NBA game were still good defenders after they instituted rules changes. Players adjust, teams adjust but defense will still be played

Oh, gawd, no. Stop the madness! Just stop it now!!

I realize Dakich is not necessarily predicting Iowa is a Top 10 team, just saying it could be if Aaron White develops into an "all-league player" -- WTH even is that?) and other pieces fall into place. But still, to hang that sort of stuff out there??!!

This is a good Iowa team -- I expect it will be better than last year's. But it still needs to prove it can:

1) Shoot the 3
2) Defend the 3
3) Play "Aaron Craft" style defense at the point
4) Stop big physical players from scoring, rebounding inside
5) Take care of the ball

One day at a time. One game at a time. One bounce of the basketball at a time.

Get back to me at the end of the year with any predictions of Top 10 rankings, challenging for the conference championship, going deep in the tourney (let alone making it to the Dance.)

Ktnxbye

I predict that the Ravens will beat the 49ers in the super bowl last year.

This is a you preference.

And regardless of expectation, message board's gonna message board.

I guess that is my preference and my question would be this: What has Iowa shown in the last two seasons that would lead you to believe Iowa could be a Top Ten team?

The quick answer is: Nothing

Until Iowa hits the floor and shows that ability they will remain an under the radar team. That is where they are right now, unranked with a bunch of returning players that have shown the ability to play very good defense, inability to create on offense and can't shoot the three pointer. Unfortunately, that is a potential NIT team until they show anything else.

I am excited as anyone, but the NCAA tournament is all I need to see Iowa do...anything beyond that is pure gravy.

I guess that is my preference and my question would be this: What has Iowa shown in the last two seasons that would lead you to believe Iowa could be a Top Ten team?

The quick answer is: Nothing

Until Iowa hits the floor and shows that ability they will remain an under the radar team. That is where they are right now, unranked with a bunch of returning players that have shown the ability to play very good defense, inability to create on offense and can't shoot the three pointer. Unfortunately, that is a potential NIT team until they show anything else.

I am excited as anyone, but the NCAA tournament is all I need to see Iowa do...anything beyond that is pure gravy.

Why do you ask what they've done in the past two seasons? I can see why last year would matter but why does two years ago matter?

Why do you ask what they've done in the past two seasons? I can see why last year would matter but why does two years ago matter?

Maybe because the Seniors were on that team and they are supposed to be the leaders and one is supposed to be the "best" player on the team. How much has the Jr/Sr class improved, this isn't a knock on them, it is an honest question.

Also, there is a Senior who took a total nosedive last year in all facets and I would like to see if he gets back to his sophomore year of production. If so, I like Iowa to make some noise, but there are a lot of question marks heading in and it really isn't a big secret. From two years ago, Iowa had one proven 3-pt shooter and he graduated, but he was awful in some people's eyes. Nobody in the upper classes has filled that void, there are numerous players that have the buzzword of the century "potential" but it hasn't shown on the floor.

I believe Iowa could be very good, but I could also see Iowa not making that leap this year as well, it will not be easy unless they shoot the ball better...period, the defense is taken care of, the offense needs to catch up.

Ball movement and shot selection will again, be the two things I will focus on in the half court game. I am not sure Iowa has a guy that can consistently create, this still is an issue, maybe a better non-conference schedule will better prepare Iowa to win some close ones in conference play, or win some of those non-conference games and carry it into conference play. Either way my expectation does not change. The upperclassmen have to prove they are better for Iowa to be an NCAA tournament team.

I still don't see how a team 2 years ago has anything to do with this one. At one point we were playing Indiana with brommer stokes and gabe on the floor at the same time.

Speaking of Indiana, they were almost as bad as us 2 years ago and they were number 1 for a lot of last year. By the end of last year we were one of the 25 best teams in the nation. We don't have all that far to go to get to the top 10. Maybe we will and maybe we won't but its definitely possible.

I still don't see how a team 2 years ago has anything to do with this one. At one point we were playing Indiana with brommer stokes and gabe on the floor at the same time.

I guess saying how much have the upperclassmen really improved over that period to today is a dumb way to look at it.

No comparison to Indiana...Iowa has by no means lost anywhere near the amount of talent that they have over that time, but Oladipo must not have went from an "athlete" to a top 5 pick in that time either.

Also, there is a Senior who took a total nosedive last year in all facets and I would like to see if he gets back to his sophomore year of production. If so, I like Iowa to make some noise, but there are a lot of question marks heading in and it really isn't a big secret. From two years ago, Iowa had one proven 3-pt shooter and he graduated, but he was awful in some people's eyes. Nobody in the upper classes has filled that void, there are numerous players that have the buzzword of the century "potential" but it hasn't shown on the floor.

I believe Iowa could be very good, but I could also see Iowa not making that leap this year as well, it will not be easy unless they shoot the ball better...period, the defense is taken care of, the offense needs to catch up.

Ball movement and shot selection will again, be the two things I will focus on in the half court game. I am not sure Iowa has a guy that can consistently create, this still is an issue, maybe a better non-conference schedule will better prepare Iowa to win some close ones in conference play, or win some of those non-conference games and carry it into conference play. Either way my expectation does not change. The upperclassmen have to prove they are better for Iowa to be an NCAA tournament team.

A few issues I have with this. One, why do the upperclassmen have to make significant leaps again? Part of the point of all this is our worst case scenario involves exactly that; having the same team plus whatever development our Sophs give us along with production from the newcomers.

That said, these seniors have an opportunity to improve whereas most seniors don't. By that I mean Marble has proven beyond a doubt he can sustain himself as an elite scorer, while Basabe has proven he's much better than what he has shown the last two seasons. The eye test shows an extremely toolsy player that had a fantastic freshman season. This isn't mere potential; it has been shown on the floor through nice sample sizes to work favorably this season for both players.

Which brings me to exactly what has to go wrong for any of this to become a legitimate worry. Woodbury and Gesell both flop and fail to build on freshman seasons, Oglesby and Basabe both have to stay underachievers, Marble and White both have to fail to reach that next level, and finally Uthoff and Jok would both have to show minimal production as newcomers. In other words, there is more evidence of a B1G Title and FF team here than there is of a flop that won't make the tournament. It would be nice to have it all figured out, but nobody does, so you figure out where your ceiling is and where the floor is. Our personnel heavily suggests both are extremely high.

A few issues I have with this. One, why do the upperclassmen have to make significant leaps again? Part of the point of all this is our worst case scenario involves exactly that; having the same team plus whatever development our Sophs give us along with production from the newcomers.

That said, these seniors have an opportunity to improve whereas most seniors don't. By that I mean Marble has proven beyond a doubt he can sustain himself as an elite scorer, while Basabe has proven he's much better than what he has shown the last two seasons. The eye test shows an extremely toolsy player that had a fantastic freshman season. This isn't mere potential; it has been shown on the floor through nice sample sizes to work favorably this season for both players.

Which brings me to exactly what has to go wrong for any of this to become a legitimate worry. Woodbury and Gesell both flop and fail to build on freshman seasons, Oglesby and Basabe both have to stay underachievers, Marble and White both have to fail to reach that next level, and finally Uthoff and Jok would both have to show minimal production as newcomers. In other words, there is more evidence of a B1G Title and FF team here than there is of a flop that won't make the tournament. It would be nice to have it all figured out, but nobody does, so you figure out where your ceiling is and where the floor is. Our personnel heavily suggests both are extremely high.

Holy cow! We didn't even make the tourney last year and now we are a potential Big Ten champ and FF team with basically the same players. The hype is a little too much. I just hope this isn't like the 2010 football team.

Holy cow! We didn't even make the tourney last year and now we are a potential Big Ten champ and FF team with basically the same players. The hype is a little too much. I just hope this isn't like the 2010 football team.

The hype is justified. It's rare for a team to bring back as much as Iowa is bringing back. May was the only departure from last season. All of the other teams in the Big Ten lost significant pieces. Iowa is suddenly a very experience team in comparison to other teams in the league. Iowa has experience in the starting lineup AND experienced players on the bench that have logged major minutes.

The 2010 team deserved the hype they got. They just flopped. Kirk had already showed the ability to under achieve but Fran hasn't yet.

Excellent point PCHawk, I agree that Fran knows how to coach and develop player, even if he's too positive and encouraging, especially with Oglesby as a prime example. If Alford was coaching this year's team, then it would be a perfect example of IA 2010 football team or 2006 BB team when IA lost to Northwestern St.(?). Which by the way, I remember their (NW St.) coach wanted to interview for IA's coaching position that was given to Lick.

Now I'm really confused, don't look one or two season back but three seasons ago means something?

And this is just another example of Crotch Itch...lets worry about the NCAA first...articles like this lead to overblown expectations by a fanbase. I like Iowa under the radar and nobody paying attention to them.

If they arent a top ten team ia thia board going to meltdown? I hope not. Baby steps from the spiral of futility this program was in.

Yes it was the Crotch who is Alfords buddy and was ripping Iowa after the Nebraska loss.

This Iowa team is going to compete whether the bulletin board says they are the best team in the nation or the worst. Who cares what the media is saying

Latest posts