Dakich thinks Iowa Could be a Top 10 Team

Oh, gawd, no. Stop the madness! Just stop it now!!

I realize Dakich is not necessarily predicting Iowa is a Top 10 team, just saying it could be if Aaron White develops into an "all-league player" -- WTH even is that?) and other pieces fall into place. But still, to hang that sort of stuff out there??!!

This is a good Iowa team -- I expect it will be better than last year's. But it still needs to prove it can:

1) Shoot the 3
2) Defend the 3
3) Play "Aaron Craft" style defense at the point
4) Stop big physical players from scoring, rebounding inside
5) Take care of the ball

One day at a time. One game at a time. One bounce of the basketball at a time.

Get back to me at the end of the year with any predictions of Top 10 rankings, challenging for the conference championship, going deep in the tourney (let alone making it to the Dance.)

Ktnxbye

In other words, we need to hit our 3s, stop opponents 3s, play the best defense in the country at the point, own the paint, and not turn the ball over?? We're talking about being Top 10 material here, not #1 and undefeated! Gesell and Clemmons were young, as were Woodbury and Olaseni. So right there you got improvements from both the perimeter and post situations. The wing already has Marble, Uthoff and White, so basically even your logic in that list dictates that if Aaron White becomes a force we'll be a Top 10 team.

I appreciate not wanting to jump head first into all of this, but thanks to football and Alford this is the last fan base to go crazy over a team before a game is played without it being absolutely warranted. Also keep in mind that if you want to use history as an indicator, Fran has always met or exceeded expectations throughout his career. All this was was a hypothetical based on White becoming an impact player, so I'm not sure what the whole fuss is over.

aaron-craft-defense.gif

Great Defense... not a foul.

says a fan of ESPN analysts, but Dakich is one that has seen Iowa enough to be able to analyze them well.
Dakich: Iowa Can Be a Top 10 Team - Iowa Official Athletic Site

And this is just another example of Crotch Itch...lets worry about the NCAA first...articles like this lead to overblown expectations by a fanbase. I like Iowa under the radar and nobody paying attention to them.

If they arent a top ten team ia thia board going to meltdown? I hope not. Baby steps from the spiral of futility this program was in.

Yes it was the Crotch who is Alfords buddy and was ripping Iowa after the Nebraska loss.

And this is just another example of Crotch Itch...lets worry about the NCAA first...articles like this lead to overblown expectations by a fanbase. I like Iowa under the radar and nobody paying attention to them.

If they arent a top ten team ia thia board going to meltdown? I hope not. Baby steps from the spiral of futility this program was in.

Yes it was the Crotch who is Alfords buddy and was ripping Iowa after the Nebraska loss.

This is my point. Take it one step at a time. If Iowa winds up in the Top 10 at the end of the season, great. But it'll be a long, hard road to get there, one that requires a lot of work and Iowa's best effort in each and every game.

This is my point. Take it one step at a time. If Iowa winds up in the Top 10 at the end of the season, great. But it'll be a long, hard road to get there, one that requires a lot of work and Iowa's best effort in each and every game.

Exactly...if it happens great, but it will be far from easy.

Imma bet if you asked Dev, Sapp or Gesell which opposing point guard they most hated to face it would be AC.

Of course they hated playing him, he would constantly foul them and the refs wouldn't call it. Craft wouldn't be such a great Defensive player if he didn't constantly create physical contact with the ball handler.

Take what one step at a time? Are fans allowed to W/L the season, or make projections, or get excited? If not, then ticket sales would suck as fans wouldn't be excited for a team that they think will be good, and fun to watch.

It is just silly to tell fans not to get excited, what do you think Fran and Barta are TRYING TO DO???? They WANT the fans excited for this season, so they buy tickets, so they show up at games.

Take what one step at a time? Are fans allowed to W/L the season, or make projections, or get excited? If not, then ticket sales would suck as fans wouldn't be excited for a team that they think will be good, and fun to watch.

It is just silly to tell fans not to get excited, what do you think Fran and Barta are TRYING TO DO???? They WANT the fans excited for this season, so they buy tickets, so they show up at games.

Let your youthful enthusiasm run unbridled through the pre-season. Those of us who've been around a while will sit back and enjoy the ride (or not), and see where it ends up.

Let your youthful enthusiasm run unbridled through the pre-season. Those of us who've been around a while will sit back and enjoy the ride (or not), and see where it ends up.
I'm an old guy, but I can't help but wonder if you are one of those people who get mad at fans when they stand and cheer telling them to sit down.

Dakich is a good announcer, but I think he has missed on the areas that need to be improved for Iowa to be a Top 10 team. If Iowa wants to be a Top 10 team, outside shooting and the 5 spot are the areas that need to be improved the most. Therefore, his focus should have been on Woody and outside production from the 2 and 3 spot--namely, improved shooting from Oglesby and, to a lesser extent, Gesell, and the development of Jok and Utoff. Improvement from Aaron White would be great, but it is probably not at the top of Fran's wish list.

This is a you preference.

And regardless of expectation, message board's gonna message board.

This is a you preference.

And regardless of expectation, message board's gonna message board.

But isn't it somewhat important to temper expectations on a message board?

As a long-time Hawkeye fan, I'm thrilled Iowa is getting this kind of pre-season attention. Seriously. I much prefer that than projections that Iowa will again finish in the middle to lower half of the conference.

But we all know projections are worth the bits of data they are written on, which ain't much.

This team still has a long ways to go, and some history to write, before it can be even lightly entertained as one of the top programs in the country. It does a huge disservice right now to talk about how great this team is and to build expectations, and then to see it again struggle to make outside shots and contain some of the better shooters in the B1G, don't you think?

While I'm not an old fart, I'm no spring chicken (40's). I will enjoy the ride no matter where it takes me. My expectations, or your lack of expectations will affect how this season plays out, exactly 0.00%.

Sorry I haven't been able to post much this week guys, I'm getting my scouting report prepared for UNC-Wilmington on Friday. Gotta take it one game at a time, one day at a time.

Sorry I haven't been able to post much this week guys, I'm getting my scouting report prepared for UNC-Wilmington on Friday. Gotta take it one game at a time, one day at a time.

Hopefully Iowa brings their best and their A game because otherwise they'll probably lose!

Please continue with your analysis of the Seahawks. They're from Norf Carolina, land of Coach K, Roy Boy, Mark Gottfried (not to be confused with Gilbert). 'Nuf said.

I must have been watching a different Aaron Craft than you were. The one I saw was very physical and would foul out regularly under the new rules if he continues to play that way and the rules are actually enforced. I remember especially during the NCAA's last year getting sick of hearing about what a great defender he was. Even under the old rules I thought he should have been on the bench with with his third foul before half-time in most of the games I watched.

Aaron Craft will still be a good defender with the new rules. To imply otherwise isn't being realistic. Just because a player (Craft) or a team (MSU, OSU, Wisconsin) are good at defense doesn't mean that they foul. I think that player and those teams are just very well coached/good defensive teams.

Iowa for sure can be a Top 10 team. The talent and experience is there. Only lost 1 guy from last year and Iowa got a head start by going on the foreign trip.

I think super athletic teams like Baylor, Michigan will give Iowa problems because Iowa isn't tremendously athletic but experience should overcome that.

Please continue with your analysis of the Seahawks. They're from Norf Carolina, land of Coach K, Roy Boy, Mark Gottfried (not to be confused with Gilbert). 'Nuf said.

The Seahawks beat Belmont Abbey 101-51 in their first exhibition game, they shot 41-62 from the field that game incuding 6-20 from 3, which means they shot 35-42 or 83% on two pointers. They are a god damn juggernaut I tell ya. Or else Belmont Abbey really struggles on defense, one of the two.

UNC Wilmington is also really small, our length should bother them.

Latest posts