Dailey

Dailey is the best guard we have hands down and should be starting and playing heavy minutes.

Fran wanted to red shirt him last year but MD did not want too. He felt he was good enough to compete and he was right. Fans were down on him after last year? He got almost zero time on the court and instead we played CW who was a disaster last season. He could have helped us last year too.

The problem is Fran is slow to see MD’s abilities. It should not take until years end to increase his role. He’s one of the best 5 players we have. Let’s keep in mind we started CW & Uhl the first part of last year and neither are contributing a year later to the program. If we’d put Dailey at PG day 1 this season would we be 7-6?

Last edited:
Of the entire Iowa roster, Dailey is the one with the “it” factor. He’s dynamic, he makes things happen on both ends of the floor. He’s a creator. Maybe that doesn’t fit in Fran’s AAU-guided vision of what a good player is.

He needs to play and to run this team.

Of the entire Iowa roster, Dailey is the one with the “it” factor. He’s dynamic, he makes things happen on both ends of the floor. He’s a creator. Maybe that doesn’t fit in Fran’s AAU-guided vision of what a good player is.

He needs to play and to run this team.

Agree. I think Daily should start in place of Nunge. His stat sheet always looks good when he's in. He also finds the ball on defense and rebounds well. His play last nite in the 2nd half was indicative of his potential. He's long and athletic. Something this team lacks.

Dailey is the best guard we have hands down and should be starting and playing heavy minutes.

Fran wanted to red shirt him last year but MD did not want too. He felt he was good enough to compete and he was right. Fans were down on him after last year? He got almost zero time on the court and instead we played CW who was a disaster last season. He coukd have helped us last year too.

The problem is Fran is slow to see MD’s abilities. It should not take until years end to increase his role. He’s one of the best 5 players we have. Let’s keep in mind we started CW & Uhl the first part of last year and neither are contributing a year letter to the program. If we’d put Dailey at PG day 1 this season would we be 7-6?

skh, i would say fran saw his saw his potential and that is why he recruited him, but wanted to RS him last year because MD needed a year to physically develop AND he wanted another year separate between he and Isaiah. He was not ready last year and i also don't think fans were down on him last year. i know i wasn't. we played CW last year because CW was a SO last year and already knew the pg position. Plus, recall that last year we also had Jok. Jok, Moss and MD essentially play(ed) the same position.

Agree. I think Daily should start in place of Nunge. His stat sheet always looks good when he's in. He also finds the ball on defense and rebounds well. His play last nite in the 2nd half was indicative of his potential. He's long and athletic. Something this team lacks.

Although I absolutely agree about Dailey starting I disagree completely with Nunge not starting and/or losing minutes. Not only has Dailey’s lack of utilization up to this point been mind boggling but it’s getting that way with Nunge now. This kid should be on the floor 25+ minutes. He can play both ends like Dailey, plays excellent D and like Dailey has a high b-ball IQ. He’s one of our best 5 players but Fran is so worried about handing out playing time like candy he’s been sitting super long stretches after starting both halfs. He runs circles around Garza and even Kreiner yet plays only a little bit??

Dailey and Nunge might be our most complete players and I’d start with these two for heavy minutes. Everyone else does one or two things well but has major liabilities in all other areas. Everyone else is inconsistent. Fran is messing this up and I like Fran but it’s taking him too long to figure it out.

Colorado put on the full court when Ellingson went in for Bo and the press was effective. If Dailey can handle backup pg and rotate in at 2 and 3 spots and Connor gets some backup pg then Ellingson should be a backup 2. Dailey looked quick on offense at the 3 in the corner and on the baseline in the first half, which is all I watched.

I know Dailey is the topic but Cook's handles seem off or he is rushing things as he has too many easy turnovers. He needs to be tougher when he is double teamed. I wonder about the size of his hands and grip as he loses some balls when he gets ready to slam it.

I really like the way Daily squares up to the basket before he shoots...it is quick but technically sound.

I don't see how you can avoid playing him much more...he is THE athletic guard we have.

He is the best PG option we have, not ideal, but we have no PGs on the roster.

Twice the player CW was...

As Fran stated...and I agree...He needs to shoot, a lot, be more aggressive...

Gosh...Ellingson looked like a junior high kid out there, forced into varsity service on the high school team. He needs to spend time with Uhl.

After seeing JBO for a year...teams are now playing him much tighter on the defense, pressing him...he struggles for an answer given his athletic limitations.

Teams with two athletic guards will put Iowa under duress...

I really like the way Daily squares up to the basket before he shoots...it is quick but technically sound.

I don't see how you can avoid playing him much more...he is THE athletic guard we have.

He is the best PG option we have, not ideal, but we have no PGs on the roster.

Twice the player CW was...

As Fran stated...and I agree...He needs to shoot, a lot, be more aggressive...

Gosh...Ellingson looked like a junior high kid out there, forced into varsity service on the high school team. He needs to spend time with Uhl.

After seeing JBO for a year...teams are now playing him much tighter on the defense, pressing him...he struggles for an answer given his athletic limitations.

Teams with two athletic guards will put Iowa under duress...
Dailey's stats are important, and he appears to be finding a role as his confidence increases, BUT, what is more important, IMO, is that he is demonstrating leadership.

I've maintained all season that perhaps the biggest problem with this squad is lack of on-court leadership. A couple of times last night, Dailey pulled the players together on the court for a quick motivational talk, and I smiled at finally seeing a player step up in that role. It gets tiring watching J-Bo pout and Cook staring blankly into space.

I may be wrong on Dailey. I thought he would be a late bloomer if he did anything at all. As others have mentioned he could be the x-factor and not Moss.

Yeah, it’s crazy he got better after a year and half of development. Stupid Fran should have been playing him all along from the second he got here. He showed immediate talent on the court and probably would have been All B1G last season had Fran not just held him back.

That’s seriously how this thread reads. Fran gets heat for not playing MD earlier instead of credit for developing and helping him get to this point.

To see a player like MD DEVELOP under Fran is a pleasant surprise...CW didn't, Uhl hasn't, etc. etc.

In a perfect world an MD redshirt last year would have been good for the team...but I like the fact that MD insisted he play...confidence, wants to win, improve, unafraid, athletic, pretty quick, good shooter...lots to like...

Bohannon and Ellingson were not physically capable of overcoming the athleticism and speed of the Colorado guards. This is not entirely their fault. Jordan was covered on the perimeter very well and his deadly three was stolen by the herd of Buffalo.

Despite that, JBo still scored 14 points, and has demonstrated that his development at scoring inside is getting much better. Uncharacteristically he missed 2 free throws. He did have 3 turnovers, which all things considered, is somewhat acceptable. Brady should not be our first option to bring the ball downcourt. He was obviously not comfortable last night. However, he only had one turnover. Certainly looked like more. The Colorado rally started when he was on the floor.....

Not his fault that Fran did NOT call a timeout to stop the momentum. Some coaches refuse to call timeouts in such situations, ala Bobby Knight, who wanted his team to tough it out and play through the opponent's momentum. Not every team is capable of doing this. The Hawks certainly are Not capable of this, same as the majority of teams.....

It was frustrating, overwhelmingly, to see our 10 point lead vanish. It was obvious that the Bullalo were on the verge of a game-changing rally. Why wait until they had cut the lead to 4 points lead to call the timeout. We were getting rattled and Colorado took advantage of it. Fortunately, the Hawks held on to a one-point lead at the Half thanks to Dailey's timely three.....

It was certainly encouraging to see the Hawks take the game under control the majority of the second half. Usually, the opponent makes the halftime adjustments to our disadvantage. Not last night, however, Iowa played very well the second half and had almost complete control of the game. This is a vast improvement. They might, very well, have regained their Mojo and are on the way to a competitive run in the conference. I do not anticipate a run for the title, but now we just might be able to land in the middle of the conference.....

Dailey should be starting instead of Baer, who is better coming off the bench. He is a potent weapon in that fashion......

Moss finally has adjusted to his place on the team. This was very encouraging to see.....

Cordell is a team leader on the floor. His composure and attitude are infectious to the team. He was a man on the floor last night. This was also good to see. Hawks are back.....

Q89NN_s-200x150.gif

Yeah, it’s crazy he got better after a year and half of development. Stupid Fran should have been playing him all along from the second he got here. He showed immediate talent on the court and probably would have been All B1G last season had Fran not just held him back.

That’s seriously how this thread reads. Fran gets heat for not playing MD earlier instead of credit for developing and helping him get to this point.

There’s no doubt he’s better today than his first day on campus last year BUT let’s hear it from one of his teammates .....

JBO talking about his teammate Dailey....

"He's been killing it ever since he got here, stepping on campus," Bohannon said. "Obviously, he wasn't playing too much last year and he kept working and for what he's doing now, we're not surprised.

Bohannon and Ellingson were not physically capable of overcoming the athleticism and speed of the Colorado guards. This is not entirely their fault. Jordan was covered on the perimeter very well and his deadly three was stolen by the herd of Buffalo.

Despite that, JBo still scored 14 points, and has demonstrated that his development at scoring inside is getting much better. Uncharacteristically he missed 2 free throws. He did have 3 turnovers, which all things considered, is somewhat acceptable. Brady should not be our first option to bring the ball downcourt. He was obviously not comfortable last night. However, he only had one turnover. Certainly looked like more. The Colorado rally started when he was on the floor.....

Not his fault that Fran did NOT call a timeout to stop the momentum. Some coaches refuse to call timeouts in such situations, ala Bobby Knight, who wanted his team to tough it out and play through the opponent's momentum. Not every team is capable of doing this. The Hawks certainly are Not capable of this, same as the majority of teams.....

It was frustrating, overwhelmingly, to see our 10 point lead vanish. It was obvious that the Bullalo were on the verge of a game-changing rally. Why wait until they had cut the lead to 4 points lead to call the timeout. We were getting rattled and Colorado took advantage of it. Fortunately, the Hawks held on to a one-point lead at the Half thanks to Dailey's timely three.....

It was certainly encouraging to see the Hawks take the game under control the majority of the second half. Usually, the opponent makes the halftime adjustments to our disadvantage. Not last night, however, Iowa played very well the second half and had almost complete control of the game. This is a vast improvement. They might, very well, have regained their Mojo and are on the way to a competitive run in the conference. I do not anticipate a run for the title, but now we just might be able to land in the middle of the conference.....

Dailey should be starting instead of Baer, who is better coming off the bench. He is a potent weapon in that fashion......

Moss finally has adjusted to his place on the team. This was very encouraging to see.....

Cordell is a team leader on the floor. His composure and attitude are infectious to the team. He was a man on the floor last night. This was also good to see. Hawks are back.....

Q89NN_s-200x150.gif

fran said "we grew up tonight" and i believe he was referring to the stretch you described when we lost our lead but came back to re-take control. coaches don't call times outs during bad stretches for many reasons, but some are because time outs are a limited number and a game can have many ebbs and flows and the coach can't always save a teams bad play with a timeout. coaches "let" their teams play through it so they can try to learn to overcome bad play on their own, on the court, through team leaders. i'll say its the coaches responsibility to have the leaders on the floor to stem the tide, but the players on the court need to be the ones turning the tide.

fran said "we grew up tonight" and i believe he was referring to the stretch you described when we lost our lead but came back to re-take control. coaches don't call times outs during bad stretches for many reasons, but some are because time outs are a limited number and a game can have many ebbs and flows and the coach can't always save a teams bad play with a timeout. coaches "let" their teams play through it so they can try to learn to overcome bad play on their own, on the court, through team leaders. i'll say its the coaches responsibility to have the leaders on the floor to stem the tide, but the players on the court need to be the ones turning the tide.

Strange you believe that and yet the glaring example of just the opposite is the way Fran handles the foul situation. We ALL complain that a 2 foul player sits the first half and a 3 foul player sits minutes in the second half too. WHERE'S THE PLAY THROUGH IT MENTALITY THERE?

when is he going to have the boys "figure it out" and learn to play through foul trouble?

Although I absolutely agree about Dailey starting I disagree completely with Nunge not starting and/or losing minutes. Not only has Dailey’s lack of utilization up to this point been mind boggling but it’s getting that way with Nunge now. This kid should be on the floor 25+ minutes. He can play both ends like Dailey, plays excellent D and like Dailey has a high b-ball IQ. He’s one of our best 5 players but Fran is so worried about handing out playing time like candy he’s been sitting super long stretches after starting both halfs. He runs circles around Garza and even Kreiner yet plays only a little bit??

Dailey and Nunge might be our most complete players and I’d start with these two for heavy minutes. Everyone else does one or two things well but has major liabilities in all other areas. Everyone else is inconsistent. Fran is messing this up and I like Fran but it’s taking him too long to figure it out.

Fran should have Nunge watch Aaron White film non stop while he is here at Iowa.

HEY JACK.... DO THAT!!!

Actually while I'm thinking of it Mashie should be watching Dev Marble tape too!!!