Dailey

Mixed feelings on Dailey. He is a work in progress and I am ready for him to turn the corner. If he turns the corner it will be late this year or more than likely next. Iowa is so weak at the 2 guard spot that we(as fans) will bite on anything. I realize he is backing up both guard spots,but he still feels like a project to me.

That's a pretty tough assessment bro. The kid is looking like the smoothest guard we have right now. So to me it sounds like you are saying all of our players are projects.

Strange you believe that and yet the glaring example of just the opposite is the way Fran handles the foul situation. We ALL complain that a 2 foul player sits the first half and a 3 foul player sits minutes in the second half too. WHERE'S THE PLAY THROUGH IT MENTALITY THERE?

when is he going to have the boys "figure it out" and learn to play through foul trouble?

every coach i played for had the 2 foul rule. almost all coaches have the 2 foul rule. You do realize that when you have 3 fouls you literally only get 1 more before you can't play, right? and when you're in foul trouble and you can't afford to pick up another foul, you can't play aggressive defense or offense, right? that makes you less effective. I agree 100% with fran's 2 foul rule. should there be a 3 foul rule? a 4 foul rule in the first half? why not let a guy foul out in the first half?

I’m pretty sure JBo came back in the first half with 2 fouls against Colorado.

He did. It’s a little different with your pg particularly if you are playing zone. JBo doesn’t have the same kind of responsibilities on the boards and protecting the basket. That’s part of it. In this case, CMac had already played a fair bit, was gassed AND he struggled. We all saw what happened to gimpy BE trying to play out of position. FMs hands we’re tied but fortunately the risk of your pg fouling out is small anyway.

That's a pretty tough assessment bro. The kid is looking like the smoothest guard we have right now. So to me it sounds like you are saying all of our players are projects.

I have already stated that my assessment on him is wrong. We will see more when Iowa gets back into conference play, but I am glad to be wrong. Iowa has to get something out of that 2 guard spot.

He did. It’s a little different with your pg particularly if you are playing zone. JBo doesn’t have the same kind of responsibilities on the boards and protecting the basket. That’s part of it. In this case, CMac had already played a fair bit, was gassed AND he struggled. We all saw what happened to gimpy BE trying to play out of position. FMs hands we’re tied but fortunately the risk of your pg fouling out is small anyway.

if i recall correctly, jbo did come back in but that was because conner had picked up 2 himself. so at least fran isn't rigid, like punting from your opponents 38 yard line simply because its 4th down. ;)

every coach i played for had the 2 foul rule. almost all coaches have the 2 foul rule. You do realize that when you have 3 fouls you literally only get 1 more before you can't play, right? and when you're in foul trouble and you can't afford to pick up another foul, you can't play aggressive defense or offense, right? that makes you less effective. I agree 100% with fran's 2 foul rule. should there be a 3 foul rule? a 4 foul rule in the first half? why not let a guy foul out in the first half?

I wasn't arguing the philosophy per se I was arguing that they contradict each other so how can you point to either as good or bad as an example.

Fran seems to have a lot of contradictions in that area. And others too.

My belief is what i was coached back in the day. 3 fouls in the first half sit. 4 fouls sit for a time in the second. we were also coached a lot as to playing with fouls as opposed to no fouls and how to remain active and properly aggressive. Yes we were allowed to foul out of games too. Failure is the best teacher. Guess my coach was different. it was the early 80's though. Not saying I'm right or wrong but I did see players learn to play without fouling as much using that philosophy.

Fran has put guys with 2 fouls back into the game a lot over the years. Does he typically? No, but if it's clear that the player with 2 fouls in question is needed to keep Iowa in the game, he often times goes against that rule and plays the guy. A lot of times, he sits the guy with 2 fouls and the team goes on run, so what's the point?

I'm good with where Dailey is right now minutes-wise. I think he should be in the 20-25 minute range, splitting the PG spot with JBo and spot minutes from CM. I think we tend to have short memories and forget how many great games JBo had over the last year and a half and some people want to bench him for Dailey after 1 great performance. JBo absolutely has physical limitations but he is still the best PG option on the team at this point and should start. The fact that Dailey has entered the conversation though is only good for the team as a whole. As he develops, his minutes should come from JBo (he should NOT be playing 35+ min/game) and Ellingson.

I'm good with where Dailey is right now minutes-wise. I think he should be in the 20-25 minute range, splitting the PG spot with JBo and spot minutes from CM. I think we tend to have short memories and forget how many great games JBo had over the last year and a half and some people want to bench him for Dailey after 1 great performance. JBo absolutely has physical limitations but he is still the best PG option on the team at this point and should start. The fact that Dailey has entered the conversation though is only good for the team as a whole. As he develops, his minutes should come from JBo (he should NOT be playing 35+ min/game) and Ellingson.

And what really doesn’t make sense is that I don’t recall him playing much point against Colorado. He had a great game but JBo played 27 minutes and Connor played 12. Ellingson might have gotten credit for the other minute.

Dailey seems to be flourishing at the wing so why would we move him to point.

And what really doesn’t make sense is that I don’t recall him playing much point against Colorado. He had a great game but JBo played 27 minutes and Connor played 12. Ellingson might have gotten credit for the other minute.

I like him at wing too, just not sure I'm ready for him to take minutes from Moss or Nunge. It's an interesting dilemma for sure as it seems that we've gotten another player to find valuable minutes for in an already crowded situation.

I like him at wing too, just not sure I'm ready for him to take minutes from Moss or Nunge. It's an interesting dilemma for sure as it seems that we've gotten another player to find valuable minutes for in an already crowded situation.

The good news is I don’t think either of those guys lose minutes. It’s Ellingson and Wagner.

Fran has put guys with 2 fouls back into the game a lot over the years. Does he typically? No, but if it's clear that the player with 2 fouls in question is needed to keep Iowa in the game, he often times goes against that rule and plays the guy. A lot of times, he sits the guy with 2 fouls and the team goes on run, so what's the point?

My point is they are contradictory philosophies

lets opposing teams go on 5 10 15 point runs and says the team needs to figure it out themselves they need to grow and learn...

guy get two fouls and he intervenes and sits the player for protection. same as three fouls in 2nd half

I would rather those two philosophies were switched around.

letting a game get away or letting a team increase a lead so far that the game is out of reach (in most cases and a high percentage of the time) is very damaging. You end up losing the game almost all of the time. with the exception of historic come backs and those are rare and historic.

On the other hand if a player fouls out that doesn't really mean you lose the game. AND fran has a very deep rotation we all complain about. Fran also boasts that so many of his players are equal or deserving of playing more minutes he struggles with the rotation becoming shorter. in other words a lost players really isn't that big of a loss because next player in is playing well enough that they deserve more PT anyway.

AM I the only one that seems bass akwards to

Fran seems to allow the greater of the two evils to happen in the name of forced learning and damn the consequences BUT

On the much more obviously lesser evil he steps in and seems to ensure the maximum penalty is applied by his own actions.

just like everyone complains you don't get to trade in your unused TO's at the end of the game you can't do the same with PF's either.

sitting a hot player with 16 points when he gets 2 then three fouls for 15 minutes in a game and having them end with three fouls is no place for patting yourself on the back. It is kind of a dubious accolade.

I would of rather the hot player play another 5 or 10 minutes and foul out with 25 points. I think that helped the team more in the end.

Thought he might have been a wasted scholly last year and I was way wrong. Like others have said, he's smooth and in control with nice fundamentals. Perhaps he should be starting but I'd like to see him have another good game like his last one. He played great vs. Colorado but lets see him reinforce in our minds that he should start.

Nunge isn’t playing the wing anymore and I really don’t think he is taking minutes from Moss. To me it would be cutting Ellingson out of the rotation.

JBo: 30 / CM: 10
Moss: 25 / Dailey: 15
Dailey: 10: / Baer: 30

Now if Connor is going to miss some time it gets more difficult.

Nunge isn’t playing the wing anymore and I really don’t think he is taking minutes from Moss. To me it would be cutting Ellingson out of the rotation.

JBo: 30 / CM: 10
Moss: 25 / Dailey: 15
Dailey: 10: / Baer: 30

Now if Connor is going to miss some time it gets more difficult.
Yup it's Dailey and Ellingson left to pickup the slack. Baer can sorta play the 2 but I don't think he'll be asked to. I hope the Ellingson PG experiment is over... Dude just isn't quick/fast/good enough to handle the ball against D1 pgs for any length of time out there. He's diversified his game a little more with his cutting the hoop now and then but his strength is still catching and shooting. Play to that and don't ask him to be what he's not as much as possible. It's almost unfair to get pissed at him and yank him out when he doesn't do well in a role he's clearly not suited for. That's on the coaches way more so then him.

Yup it's Dailey and Ellingson left to pickup the slack. Baer can sorta play the 2 but I don't think he'll be asked to. I hope the Ellingson PG experiment is over... Dude just isn't quick/fast/good enough to handle the ball against D1 pgs for any length of time out there. He's diversified his game a little more with his cutting the hoop now and then but his strength is still catching and shooting. Play to that and don't ask him to be what he's not as much as possible. It's almost unfair to get pissed at him and yank him out when he doesn't do well in a role he's clearly not suited for. That's on the coaches way more so then him.
Ellingson may get some minutes with Cmac out, but as you stay it still should be Dailey as the backup PG. If we get CM back I personally wouldn’t have Ellingson in the rotation.

With Baer, Moss, and Dailey you have your three best perimeter defenders who can help cover for some of Jbo’s shortcomings. All three can handle the ball and hit an outside shot.

One really important thing for this team is to get Baer back on track from the outside. Last two years he’s been a 39% guy from deep but this year he is really struggling.

Ellingson may get some minutes with Cmac out, but as you stay it still should be Dailey as the backup PG. If we get CM back I personally wouldn’t have Ellingson in the rotation.

With Baer, Moss, and Dailey you have your three best perimeter defenders who can help cover for some of Jbo’s shortcomings. All three can handle the ball and hit an outside shot.

One really important thing for this team is to get Baer back on track from the outside. Last two years he’s been a 39% guy from deep but this year he is really struggling.
I agree totally. I don't mind Ellingson playing some but the more you add to his plate the less effective he'll be. The other guys would do better.
And yeah it's hard not to notice that Baer isn't the same offensively this year. He's even missed some bunnies inside too he wouldn't normally miss. Hard telling what's up with that but I think he'll get back to his old self. If his finger is better and he's good to go I can't see why not.

It is pretty funny. I would guess in total Dailey has been in the game as “point guard” less than 25 total minutes this season. You should see on the other site there are posters convinced he is Iowa’s answer at PG (although I think its mostly one troll).

Either way Dailey’s emergence as a wing has been key as we needed more backcourt athleticism, and ball handling.

Now if we can just cut down on turnovers and keep improving defensively with our backcourt/wing group: JBo, Moss, Baer, & Dailey, (Cmac for backup PG minutes)

Bigs:
Cook, Nunge, Pemsl, and occasional Garza

I think we will be in good shape. Hopefully Connor isn’t out long because I’m not sure we have an answer for that.

It is pretty funny. I would guess in total Dailey has been in the game as “point guard” less than 25 total minutes this season. You should see on the other site there are posters convinced he is Iowa’s answer at PG (although I think its mostly one troll).

Either way Dailey’s emergence as a wing has been key as we needed more backcourt athleticism, and ball handling.

Now if we can just cut down on turnovers and keep improving defensively with our backcourt/wing group: JBo, Moss, Baer, & Dailey, (Cmac for backup PG minutes)

Bigs:
Cook, Nunge, Pemsl, and occasional Garza

I think we will be in good shape. Hopefully Connor isn’t out long because I’m not sure we have an answer for that.

I think the only option while Connor is out is to have Dailey move to the backup PG and Ellingson to the back up #2.

Latest posts