Dailey

Disagree. Dailey is a difference maker on a team that needs one at the PG. Is he a combo guard? Sure, but he can play the point on both ends effectively.

We would not be 9-6 losing to ULL, SDSU, PSU at home, etc. with an effective PG playing both ends. JBO needs to shoot it not hande it and trying to initiate offense under pressure which he struggles with mightily. Not his strength at all. His D can’t be helped.

Assists need to be tracked in terms of 3 categories;

1. Dribble drive creation
2. Great finds off the ball
3. In the flow of regular offense

There’s a lot of differences between these. A player can rack up a lot of #3 without impactIng the game to the degree of a player doing 1 & 2 also.

What’s not in the stats at all is the spacing that JBo creates for the posts.

I get Dailey can create more and we need him as the backup PG now with Connor out but I still want most of his minutes at the wing.

Disagree. Dailey is a difference maker on a team that needs one at the PG. Is he a combo guard? Sure, but he can play the point on both ends effectively.

We would not be 9-6 losing to ULL, SDSU, PSU at home, etc. with an effective PG playing both ends. JBO needs to shoot it not hande it and trying to initiate offense under pressure which he struggles with mightily. Not his strength at all. His D can’t be helped.

Assists need to be tracked in terms of 3 categories;

1. Dribble drive creation
2. Great finds off the ball
3. In the flow of regular offense

There’s a lot of differences between these. A player can rack up a lot of #3 without impactIng the game to the degree of a player doing 1 & 2 also.

You could argue that one kind of assist is impressive and another kind is unimpressive. :)

I just disagree with those who think JBO is an effective PG and Dailey cannot be. There’s no way we would be starring down the barrel of an NIT bid if that were true minus 1 player from last year.

Love JBOs moxy and he’s a great shooter... just not an effective PG in the half court and we all agree defense will not be his calling card.

Dailey is a complete player. If given the workload it would be even more obvious and JBO could really help us doing what he does best.

You are correct that Dailey can help us at the 2-3 also but he can run the show. He’s that good (assuming not injured now from last night).

I just disagree with those who think JBO is an effective PG and Dailey cannot be. There’s no way we would be starring down the barrel of an NIT bid if that were true minus 1 player from last year.

Love JBOs moxy and he’s a great shooter... just not an effective PG in the half court and we all agree defense will not be his calling card.

Dailey is a complete player. If given the workload it would be even more obvious and JBO could really help us doing what he does best.

You are correct that Dailey can help us at the 2-3 also but he can run the show. He’s that good (assuming not injured now from last night).

There were a lot more issues than just PG play. Don’t underestimate the loss of Baer. Garza has been either terrific or bad. Ellingson and Wagner were playing more minutes earlier in the year.

If he’s hitting 3s I agree but when he’s not his defense is so bad he’s a minus player. Last night 1-5 shooter from 3 cannot offset layup after layup after easy basket the opponent gets from driving right past him.

skh, you are right. i just think jbo has lost some confidence. i can see that his "handles" have gotten inside his head and he's pressing. you know he's heard the talk. that's why i say Fran really needs to relieve that pressure. plus, Jess Settles (who did the color commentary for BTN plus last night) hit the nail on the head. Daily is the only player besides Moss that can get to the rim on his own. That is a huge thing we don't have with JBo at pg. I don't know about conner cuz he really hasn't been in an end of clock situation that i recall.

Ellingson cannot be playing a lot of minutes.

I would like to see Bailey get starting minutes at the PG...with Moss the shooting starter...JB backing both up.

Baer also backing up Moss...

Team would be quicker, better defensively, and JB would get more shooting opportunities without getting tired out playing out of position at PG...

There were a lot more issues than just PG play. Don’t underestimate the loss of Baer. Garza has been either terrific or bad. Ellingson and Wagner were playing more minutes earlier in the year.
Nope. Blame everything on JBo.

We have no interior defense, are a terrible free throw shooting team, turn the ball over at an astounding clip (Our best player TC turns the ball over as frequently as anyone I’ve ever watched), and didn’t have our “glue guy”. But no, blame the point guard who was freshman all B1G last year. That’s hawkeye fans for you....

Nope. Blame everything on JBo.

We have no interior defense, are a terrible free throw shooting team, turn the ball over at an astounding clip (Our best player TC turns the ball over as frequently as anyone I’ve ever watched), and didn’t have our “glue guy”. But no, blame the point guard who was freshman all B1G last year. That’s hawkeye fans for you....

nike, watch the next time you see iowa play and jbo is the pg. watch how teams get in his grill in the half court and how many times jbo has to dribble from side to side simply to get a passing angle to initiate the offense. watch the others standing and waiting for jbo to get that angle so that they can engage based on the pass to initiate the offense. notice how much time that takes off the shot clock. i believe you're making light of the reality that jbo has handles issues at pg by saying "blame everything on jbo".

you say we have no interior defense. i agree with you in part. if you're talking about our bigs manning up and defending the post, they do a pretty good job. but our guards have not kept opposing guards from getting to the lane and at that point our bigs have to react to stop the dribble drive and our defense does break down. but that is the fault of our guards...particularly, the pg. I stated after the first couple of games last season that JBo was not a pg from a handles perspective.

I am not slamming JBo. I've said a million times JBo is an elite shooter. HE SHOULD BE A SG TAKING 12+ 3 POINTERS A GAME. I believe he is playing out of position, is all.

I agree we are not a great ft shooting team. we're inconsistent. All of our bigs get stripped, you are right on that. they need to be more aware and we need to clear out better to allow a one on one crab dribble and all others need to be ready for a pass and to shoot if their man leaves to double the post.

An earlier post brought up comments from when Dailey was in HS, why weren't you arguing for him to start last year?

Anyone thinking Dailey should start right now over an all-freshman BIG point guard is ridiculas. Iowa has barely started conference play. Dailey has played great but hasn't played enough games to warrant replacing Jbo. Ellingson has had great games in the past, shouldn't he start too?

If you think Jbo needs space to shoot, watch the game at Maryland last year.

Dont underestimate Jbo assist to TO ratio.

nike, watch the next time you see iowa play and jbo is the pg. watch how teams get in his grill in the half court and how many times jbo has to dribble from side to side simply to get a passing angle to initiate the offense. watch the others standing and waiting for jbo to get that angle so that they can engage based on the pass to initiate the offense. notice how much time that takes off the shot clock. i believe you're making light of the reality that jbo has handles issues at pg by saying "blame everything on jbo".

you say we have no interior defense. i agree with you in part. if you're talking about our bigs manning up and defending the post, they do a pretty good job. but our guards have not kept opposing guards from getting to the lane and at that point our bigs have to react to stop the dribble drive and our defense does break down. but that is the fault of our guards...particularly, the pg. I stated after the first couple of games last season that JBo was not a pg from a handles perspective.

I am not slamming JBo. I've said a million times JBo is an elite shooter. HE SHOULD BE A SG TAKING 12+ 3 POINTERS A GAME. I believe he is playing out of position, is all.

I agree we are not a great ft shooting team. we're inconsistent. All of our bigs get stripped, you are right on that. they need to be more aware and we need to clear out better to allow a one on one crab dribble and all others need to be ready for a pass and to shoot if their man leaves to double the post.
I’ve watched. I totally agree it’s not always pretty with JBo, especially when he gets pressured. (Part of that standing at the top of the key is a product of Fran’s offense). But at the end of the day I think he gets the job done. The numbers agree, the opposing coaches agree, our coaches agree. He has struggled some this year sure, but so has everyone on our team at times. He needs to improve and I think he can.

What I find funny is the people who think we can’t be a good team with him at PG. We can. We were for the second half of last season with him at the PG.

I never understand why people look back at 2 year old threads and make I told you so comments on the old thread. First of all who has the time to look back through pages and pages of threads. Secondly, who really cares what someone thought of a player 2 years ago. Especially when there have been more recent negative comments about the kid. Apparently some people on this board have way too much time on their hands.

I never understand why people look back at 2 year old threads and make I told you so comments on the old thread. First of all who has the time to look back through pages and pages of threads. Secondly, who really cares what someone thought of a player 2 years ago. Especially when there have been more recent negative comments about the kid. Apparently some people on this board have way too much time on their hands.
Some try not to say dumb shit in the first place.

Latest posts