Dailey transferring ...

Unless I'm missing something, Dailey would have to sit out a year if he transfers to another Div.1. Unlike Ellenson, he hasn't used a redshirt. He is academically still a junior.

Moss, if chose to do so, could grad transfer and be immediately eligible. But I can't see him doing it. Cordell might do so one year from now if he gets lost in the shuffle next year and Fran brings in a huge haul for 2020.

The thing about Pemsl is that he's been a Hawk his whole life. Guys like that don't transfer for more playing time. That said, I don't think he'll have a problem finding playing time. His energy off the bench likely won us the Iowa State game and his game is well suited to be a scrappy rebound, putback, and D guy. Also, I'll believe it when I see it, but he did have a smooth jumpshot in high school.

Pem definitely has a role on the team and in brief flashes like the Iowa State game it looked like the coaches were finding it. He has played different positions at different weights and has never been more than about 80% healthy.

His perseverance may pay off yet. He will be a valuable addition next year if he plays within his limitations. It's puzzling that up to this point he left his jumper on the floor of the Wahlert Ed Colbert gym. He won two championships and a runner up with that jumper, with help from Riley Till and Noah Carter's brother Josh.

Anything is possible but that would mean every D-1 coach in Kentucky and surrounding areas also slept on him. We'll have to wait and see.

Fredrick chose to walk-on at Iowa over full ride offers from Xavier, Indiana & Butler. Not all D-1 coaches were sleeping on him. I realize CJ has a scholorship now but walked on to begin with.

The thing about Pemsl is that he's been a Hawk his whole life. Guys like that don't transfer for more playing time. That said, I don't think he'll have a problem finding playing time. His energy off the bench likely won us the Iowa State game and his game is well suited to be a scrappy rebound, putback, and D guy. Also, I'll believe it when I see it, but he did have a smooth jumpshot in high school.
This “hawk his whole life” stuff is jr high stuff. When kids get to college, they turn into men and realize quickly it’s a business and have to look out for themselves. It isn’t some fairytale. Same with coaches that leave alma maters to coach their rivals. It’s just business. You do what you need to do. I shake my head at how naive people are on here when i see that reference

There are people ( kids ) that are loyal to a program , not many , but some , actually not naive at all , rare - yes , naive - no

Fredrick chose to walk-on at Iowa over full ride offers from Xavier, Indiana & Butler. Not all D-1 coaches were sleeping on him. I realize CJ has a scholorship now but walked on to begin with.
Interesting. I just looked at his recruiting profile. I didn't see an offer from Indiana or Butler but Xavier and Nebraska was shown as having offered. Your point still stands. Not everyone.

Unless I'm missing something, Dailey would have to sit out a year if he transfers to another Div.1. Unlike Ellenson, he hasn't used a redshirt. He is academically still a junior.

Moss, if chose to do so, could grad transfer and be immediately eligible. But I can't see him doing it. Cordell might do so one year from now if he gets lost in the shuffle next year and Fran brings in a huge haul for 2020.
It depends on where he is at academically. Occasionally their is a true junior that graduates and is elligible immediately. I also wonder if he would be granted a waiver to play immediately due to the issues with Gary Dolphin.

I love Pemsl and his heart. Although I think his “game” was better when heavier. Tough to move out of there (Charles Barkleyesq). How he has lost a lot of weight not sure

How dare you!

Haha. One of my favorite athletes of all time, on and off the field.
What I was meaning about Pemsl was his low center of gravity and derrière were hard to move, like Sir Charles. Wish Pemsl also had a 48” vertical though!

Interesting. I just looked at his recruiting profile. I didn't see an offer from Indiana or Butler but Xavier and Nebraska was shown as having offered. Your point still stands. Not everyone.

CJ had an offer from Crean, but then he got fired and Miller took over and that offer wasn’t still there from Miller like it was from Crean.

Haha. One of my favorite athletes of all time, on and off the field.
What I was meaning about Pemsl was his low center of gravity and derrière were hard to move, like Sir Charles. Wish Pemsl also had a 48” vertical though!

;) Yeah, I knew what you were going for, but any excuse to post a Chuck highlight vid!

This “hawk his whole life” stuff is jr high stuff. When kids get to college, they turn into men and realize quickly it’s a business and have to look out for themselves. It isn’t some fairytale. Same with coaches that leave alma maters to coach their rivals. It’s just business. You do what you need to do. I shake my head at how naive people are on here when i see that reference
Well, there are plenty of kids from what you have repeatedly called the golden era of Hawkeye athletics who did just that. Jon Darsee, Mike Henry, Michael Morgan, Waymond King, Craig Anderson. They were Hawks for life. They could have left and played more minutes somewhere else. They ended up getting passed up by younger players But they were proud to be Hawks. And we were proud of how they represented the university.

There are people who grow up dreaming of playing for a certain school and that dream is more important than anything else. It's a different set of priorities. It may be more rare but it does exist. There is nothing naive about it.

Not a shocker. There's a possibilty that Fran gently pushed him out the door, but that's big boy basketball. When it comes to this roster I am one of those individuals hoping that it "works itself out". I saw Fran in the '17-18 season struggle with a roster that was 10 deep. I don't trust Fran with a roster full of dudes expecting minutes.

I hope Dailey finds a better fit for himself next year and excels. I remember Fran offering him late 3 years ago when Iowa had an open scholarship instead of going after a grad transfer or transfer. He took an raw underdeveloped project in Dailey. By all accounts a great kid and representative for the University but shows some of the frustration with Fran’s head scratchers in recruiting and ignorance in utilizing the transfer market like successful teams do.

Would an experienced transfer have provided more than Dailey? Never know but I’d say would have been more likely.

Well, there are plenty of kids from what you have repeatedly called the golden era of Hawkeye athletics who did just that. Jon Darsee, Mike Henry, Michael Morgan, Waymond King, Craig Anderson. They were Hawks for life. They could have left and played more minutes somewhere else. They ended up getting passed up by younger players But they were proud to be Hawks. And we were proud of how they represented the university.
This makes zero sense and is a major reach by you. Not worth discussing

There are people who grow up dreaming of playing for a certain school and that dream is more important than anything else. It's a different set of priorities. It may be more rare but it does exist. There is nothing naive about it.
Those type of kids are rarely difference makers so it’s irrelevant anyway

Latest posts