Dailey transferring ...

He called him that?

No that's mixing two different stories.

Dolph was first hot'd mic saying Dailey can't dribble without taking his eyes off the ball, essentially that ia guards suck.

That was his first suspension the second one was for reffering to Tyler cook going King Kong I believe.

But Dailey played acceptable defense. He just needed to shoot better if he wanted more minutes at iowa. Your can't just be average on defense if you can't shoot or drive on offense.

But we played within the flow of the offense and didn't force anything to try to get his game going. So he was a team player but he just wasn't ever able to fully gain his confidence at this level. He'll do fine in the valley I bet.

I hope this means CJ is slated to be ahead of Dailey in the rotation of next year which means the team is upgrading.

I also hope this means Moss is staying.
We've had a lot of players transfer that didn't equal better production.
I think Fran really has something he can sell to Cook/Moss in order for them to want to come back. A better, more experienced roster coming back next season.

Thank you MD for your contributions and playing your role on a winning team without complaint. I wish you the best.

I think we all knew this was inevitable, but I think it speaks to what we have coming down the road. If Maishe had developed a reliable and consistent 3 point shot, he wouldnt be doing this. I dont think the coaches have much of a different opinions as fans either. Think about it, in a catch and shoot situation and Jbo shoots, we know its going in, we want him to shoot it 50 times if he had the chance. Slightly less than that but still very confident if Wieskamp or Moss shoots it. Garza has to from time to time to get his defender out of the lane. Good thing Tyler doesnt think he can shoot. But Maishe and Connor, while they have hit a few all.of us on the couch cringe when they shoot it.

So this tells me a couple things. CJ must be in the Wieskamp and Moss category. Also, with Joe presumably an elite on ball defender, Connor better get himself in that shooting category too or he sits and gets Dailey minutes next year. We will have a lot of flexibility next year and upgrading our already good shooting will get better.

here's to hoping we can upgrade the talent or that talent is already here. IMO, most guys they can bring in right away might not be as good as MD. Not talent wise, but knowing the system and program. That's a big thing. I think he got a fair shake here sans that dolph comment. He wasn't put in a bad situation until that IMO. So for that I sympathize a little, but Iowa afforded him a shot to give it a go in B1G. The bottom line is, if you can play you're gonna play, if you can't, you're gonna get the coaching needed to get there. If you still can't, maybe a step down in level is best.

No that's mixing two different stories.

Dolph was first hot'd mic saying Dailey can't dribble without taking his eyes off the ball, essentially that ia guards suck.

That was his first suspension the second one was for reffering to Tyler cook going King Kong I believe.

But Dailey played acceptable defense. He just needed to shoot better if he wanted more minutes at iowa. Your can't just be average on defense if you can't shoot or drive on offense.

But we played within the flow of the offense and didn't force anything to try to get his game going. So he was a team player but he just wasn't ever able to fully gain his confidence at this level. He'll do fine in the valley I bet.
He did not reference Tyler Cook as King Kong. He referenced Maryland’s Bruno Fernando as King Kong for being a beast on the offensive glass at the end of their win at Carver.

Not a shocker. There's a possibilty that Fran gently pushed him out the door, but that's big boy basketball. When it comes to this roster I am one of those individuals hoping that it "works itself out". I saw Fran in the '17-18 season struggle with a roster that was 10 deep. I don't trust Fran with a roster full of dudes expecting minutes.

I'm the exact opposite and not just for Fran. You need ALL 13 ships going to guys who want to compete at the highest level. They ALL gotta be able to play and WANT to play. If they can't and aren't good enough, they find their way out. That's how it is at every program in the country, I don't want the school that I cheer for to have any disadvantage. I do however agree with you that Fran mismanaged the roster last season.... IMO, he really hasn't in the past and didn't this year (by injury and redshirt etc).

He did not reference Tyler Cook as King Kong. He referenced Maryland’s Bruno Fernando as King Kong for being a beast on the offensive glass at the end of their win at Carver.
81304960.jpg

here's to hoping we can upgrade the talent or that talent is already here. IMO, most guys they can bring in right away might not be as good as MD. Not talent wise, but knowing the system and program. That's a big thing. I think he got a fair shake here sans that dolph comment. He wasn't put in a bad situation until that IMO. So for that I sympathize a little, but Iowa afforded him a shot to give it a go in B1G. The bottom line is, if you can play you're gonna play, if you can't, you're gonna get the coaching needed to get there. If you still can't, maybe a step down in level is best.
I like Maishe, but he just doesn’t have the mindset you need for a guy coming off the bench for limited minutes. Those guys need to come in and play balls to the wall. Maishe seems like a guy who likes to let the game come to him, but you can’t do that when you only play 10 minutes or so a night. Once he lost confidence in his 3pt shot this year he really wasn’t deserving of any more minutes than he got.

I’m not sure how big of a thing knowing the team and program is. Look at Texas Tech they are filed with first year transfers and they are heading to the elite 8. Talent and quality coaching.

If Moss stays I don’t think there are really that many open minutes so I don’t think a grad transfer is realistic. Personally I would look at a transfer that could graduate in the Garza or Wieskamp classes. That would even out the classes a bit and soften the blow some when we lose the Bohannon class next year. I do not want to take another 5 player class in 2020. I think that’s a horrible strategy for many reasons.

I like Maishe, but he just doesn’t have the mindset you need for a guy coming off the bench for limited minutes. Those guys need to come in and play balls to the wall. Maishe seems like a guy who likes to let the game come to him, but you can’t do that when you only play 10 minutes or so a night. Once he lost confidence in his 3pt shot this year he really wasn’t deserving of any more minutes than he got.

I’m not sure how big of a thing knowing the team and program is. Look at Texas Tech they are filed with first year transfers and they are heading to the elite 8. Talent and quality coaching.

If Moss stays I don’t think there are really that many open minutes so I don’t think a grad transfer is realistic. Personally I would look at a transfer that could graduate in the Garza or Wieskamp classes. That would even out the classes a bit and soften the blow some when we lose the Bohannon class next year. I do not want to take another 5 player class in 2020. I think that’s a horrible strategy for many reasons.

I agree... but IMO, that still stems back ALL the way to the Lick mess when Fran recruited Woody and MG's huge class. Fran needed to win and WIN right away and so it started off like that through his first few cycles. Through attrition and everything else, you'd hope that they start evening out more. I dunno that a grad transfer is realistic with the pieces already in place, but it's at least nice to know that Iowa is looking at them. That's what you want, but you don't bring one in just for the sake of bringing one in, they can disrupt the chemistry this group seems to have re-found. I think they are looking for D at the guard spot.

So you're saying you want to balance the classes?

giphy.gif

I thought MD was going to take a big step up this year...really liked his skill set. It didn’t happen. I suspect he knew he wasn’t going to get minutes and needed to leave in order to play. The breakdown after the Michigan game may have been knowing he was leaving a team and coaches he really likes...pure speculation.

I agree... but IMO, that still stems back ALL the way to the Lick mess when Fran recruited Woody and MG's huge class. Fran needed to win and WIN right away and so it started off like that through his first few cycles. Through attrition and everything else, you'd hope that they start evening out more. I dunno that a grad transfer is realistic with the pieces already in place, but it's at least nice to know that Iowa is looking at them. That's what you want, but you don't bring one in just for the sake of bringing one in, they can disrupt the chemistry this group seems to have re-found. I think they are looking for D at the guard spot.
Iowa could have remedied that, actually Maishe is the perfect example of that. They signed him late in the process in the already big Bohannon class. Now hindsight is 2020 because MD could have taken the redshirt but didn’t want to, or he could have turned into the next Devyn Marble, you just never know.

As far as looking for backcourt D I’d have to disagree. The grad transfer they looked at is a shooter he ranked second to last on Akron in defensive rating. I think they reached out as a potential Moss Insurance policy over anything else.

Again my thought would be going after a multiple year transfer. One that likely sits out next year (we don’t have many minutes) but would come back in 2020-2021 (we have lots of minutes available). This would even the classes a bit. The other option would be a late 2019 kid, which I wouldn’t hate... although if you redshirted them they would then be in the 2020 class which will be a big one... right back to the uneven class thing. It’s a tough proposition to remedy without taking some transfers to join the smaller classes.

Latest posts