Cy Kouandjio - Iowa back on the radar

Bright Lights, Big City. Maybe he has bought into all this attention on himself as it appears he has aspirations to jump to the NFL after darn near one season. Maybe building a line around him that is broken up after year 2 isn't in our best plans. I'm sure we wouldn't reject him, and I'm sure he COULD flourish at Iowa, and I know he would love the atmosphere once here, BUT, It's not the end of the world if he goes with Alabama (brother), just don't go with Chizick, who knows what crud he has planted in CK's head about Iowa and the Hawks.

Bright Lights, Big City. Maybe he has bought into all this attention on himself as it appears he has aspirations to jump to the NFL after darn near one season. Maybe building a line around him that is broken up after year 2 isn't in our best plans. I'm sure we wouldn't reject him, and I'm sure he COULD flourish at Iowa, and I know he would love the atmosphere once here, BUT, It's not the end of the world if he goes with Alabama (brother), just don't go with Chizick, who knows what crud he has planted in CK's head about Iowa and the Hawks.

he said he couldn't see himself at iowa for 3 years.

And auburn isn't exactly bright lights big city.

Kouandjio nixed that he is considering Iowa. Apparently he is asking from input from his family, and his parents are trying to sway him to go to Iowa, but I guess he is really in love with NM. Not sure why.

darn.

His father has reportedly said that Iowa was still being considered, but Kouandjio nixed that idea Thursday afternoon.

"I went down there and I love the football team and the coaches and everything," he said. "But the lifestyle down there, I don't think its for me. I don't think I'd be able to thrive those three years. I don't think so."

That speaks volumes, but I appreciate it that he's being honest about it.

Yeah - compared to Iowa, Alabama is a real mecca for culture. The people down there are so sophisticated and hip.

I never heard about those comments he said about Iowa. That is too bad that he had such a bad time. I did read where he was taken to a wrestling match? That was probably a mistake. Iowans think that all states care about wrestling when in reality, we are one of about 4 states who even care to put a team together. It certainly is not known as a spectator sport.
He is young and first impressions are what you think something is always like. If he went to Vegas on a rainy day, he would probably think it rains A LOT in Vegas. NM, AL, and Auburn are not prime time big city either... I think he is just really confused right now. Would like to ask him how cold he was during the spring or fall practices in Iowa for two reasons. 1) that would mean he is a Hawkeye 2) the realization of the southern heat in Iowa on his face.

he said he couldn't see himself at iowa for 3 years.

And auburn isn't exactly bright lights big city.

Bright Lights, Big City was meant more as a metaphor for those programs being fresh out of Championship seasons and much more in the spotlights than little ol Iowa. They definitely carry more swagger than we do.

Kouandjio nixed that he is considering Iowa. Apparently he is asking from input from his family, and his parents are trying to sway him to go to Iowa, but I guess he is really in love with NM. Not sure why.

everything i've read gives me the impression his parents and brother want him in Alabama. I've not read thing one about anyone wanting him to go to Iowa, save his buddies who are going.

I never heard about those comments he said about Iowa. That is too bad that he had such a bad time. I did read where he was taken to a wrestling match? That was probably a mistake. Iowans think that all states care about wrestling when in reality, we are one of about 4 states who even care to put a team together. It certainly is not known as a spectator sport.
He is young and first impressions are what you think something is always like. If he went to Vegas on a rainy day, he would probably think it rains A LOT in Vegas. NM, AL, and Auburn are not prime time big city either... I think he is just really confused right now. Would like to ask him how cold he was during the spring or fall practices in Iowa for two reasons. 1) that would mean he is a Hawkeye 2) the realization of the southern heat in Iowa on his face.

Iowans are one of 4 states that cares about wrestling? You need to get a clue.
I'll list some states where wrestling is huge. Don't sell it short just because you aren't into it.

Utah
Idaho
North/South Dakota
Nebraska
Missouri
Minnesota
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Wisconsin
Michigan
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Wyoming

That's maybe 1/3 of the US, but there is huge interest in wrestling.
What do you want them to do? Take him to the Children's Museum at Coral Ridge?

You are funny but not in the good way.

I'll list some states where wrestling is huge. Don't sell it short just because you aren't into it.

Utah
Idaho
North/South Dakota
Nebraska
Missouri
Minnesota
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Wisconsin
Michigan
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Wyoming

I will take responsibility for the wrestling comment as I mentioned while he was on his visit, I believe the only sporting event going on that weekend was a wrestling meet which I'm not even sure he attended. I didn't mean it as a slight of the sport, but like Greg has mentioned, it truly is a sport you have to be into to really appreciate. However, He was off on saying only 4 states care or whatever....

While he was here I know he attended a social function put on by some athletes and I know they ate at Airliner. Other than that I'm not sure what else they did with him, but not much was going on around town and with the new laws in Iowa City they couldn't really take him out and show him a great time like in the past...

With Iowa, to land a big recruit such as Cyrus, he really either just has to be into the school and coaches or needs to visit during season to see Iowa City at it's finest.

While Alabama is no great state, both programs have that name recognition that sells itself. Not to mention the constant coverage from ESPN which is like another recruiter for some programs. I think we all understand that.

I think this is a better way of putting what Greg was trying to get at...

Utah
Idaho
North/South Dakota
Nebraska
Missouri
Minnesota
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Wisconsin
Michigan
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Wyoming

Not an insult to wrestling... I am just saying that most people are not as amused by wrestling as an Iowan. Iowans love wrestling. Been living in California and Virginia for the last decade and I can honestly tell you that I NEVER hear about wrestling.

Loved the Children's Museum comment... funny. I just wish he could have been in Iowa for a game vs. Penn State or something. I am from Iowa and love the place. I look forward to retiring and moving there. If a friend of mine came to visit and I had a choice of when to "show off" my homestate, it would either be in the summer on the Mississippi River or in the fall at an Iowa Hawkeye football game. Both are amazing times. Meant absolutely no slam against wrestling... IT IS WHAT IT IS!

OK, your comment about states that like wrestling peaked my interest... so I looked it up... here is the actual standings.

"Wrestling-Crazy" States (points per 1 million residents)
1. Iowa-97.3
2. Pennsylvania-65.5
3. Minnesota-59.2
4. Ohio-47.7
5. New Jersey-41.6
6. Illinois-37.3
7. Wisconsin-37.2
8. Missouri-30.6
9. Indiana-29.6
10. Maryland-26.0
11. Michigan-21.3
12. Virginia-18.8
13. California-15.0
14. Washington-13.8
15. Florida-13.1

Virginia and California are #12 and #13 and I know dang well from living in those states the last 10 years that they don't care that much about it. Was surprised to see Oklahoma wasn't on that list as I would have put them as one of the four states I thought that loved wrestling. But... I am not a wrestler and only know not to fight one or you end up like a pretzel.

OK, your comment about states that like wrestling peaked my interest... so I looked it up... here is the actual standings.

"Wrestling-Crazy" States (points per 1 million residents)
1. Iowa-97.3
2. Pennsylvania-65.5
3. Minnesota-59.2
4. Ohio-47.7
5. New Jersey-41.6
6. Illinois-37.3
7. Wisconsin-37.2
8. Missouri-30.6
9. Indiana-29.6
10. Maryland-26.0
11. Michigan-21.3
12. Virginia-18.8
13. California-15.0
14. Washington-13.8
15. Florida-13.1

Virginia and California are #12 and #13 and I know dang well from living in those states the last 10 years that they don't care that much about it. Was surprised to see Oklahoma wasn't on that list as I would have put them as one of the four states I thought that loved wrestling. But... I am not a wrestler and only know not to fight one or you end up like a pretzel.

That is interesting that Oklahoma isn't in the top 15. Two of the top wrestling programs, historically. I mean hell, I pretty much always thought of it being Iowa and Oklahoma as the top two. That's arguably the top 3 programs of all time in Iowa, ISU, and OSU.

Utah
Idaho
North/South Dakota
Nebraska
Missouri
Minnesota
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Wisconsin
Michigan
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Wyoming

You can also add Oregon (Former Hawks Jimmy Zelesky and Troy Steiner are Ore St. coaches); California (Where Lenny Zelesky is a coach somewhere out there- Cal-Poly?); and of course, Colorado, where the Olympic training center is huge in Colorado Springs for bringing in many local wrestlers to just visit. As well as several of our top wrestlers through the years.

That being said, it's not like our campus or any of the considered campuses, offer inner city diversity and cultural nightlife on a regular basis. It is a college town with many things to do that revolve around the college.

Latest posts