Cy Kouandjio - Iowa back on the radar

at this point, i'd be surprised if he didn't end up picking iowa. based on what he said about his visit to iowa, what he said was important to him. combine that with some of his friends (assumably) being at iowa and i think he'll end up here.

I agree, playing with his brother obviously wasn't a big deal to begin with and now the fact that 3 of his friends will be at Iowa could sway his decision even more.

I think Iowa has a very good shot at getting Cyrus, and I think this would be a perfect spot for him.

ESPN.com had a very telling video of Cyrus with his family right after he announced for Auburn. He let on he was having second thoughts about it, and you could tell in his face he was really conflicted. I don't think he was sold on Auburn; it seemed that Mom and Dad also weren't thrilled with it.

Here's why I think we get him, FWIW:

- He's a very smart, sensitive kid. Perhaps too sensitive. The SEC fans at both schools will eat him alive, whichever way he goes, as he's now seeing on his FB page.
- I don't see any way he signs with Auburn, not after announcing on national TV but then being so conflicted about it he left school early yesterday afternoon to think everything through. He couldn't hit the SEND button on his LOI and everything that has transpired the past 24 hours isn't going to make it any easier.
- I doubt he goes to Alabama. That door has been wide open all along and the easiest one for him to walk through to go play with his brother, but he didn't. And I don't think he will.

Which leaves ... Iowa. He liked Iowa, said it felt like home. Three teammates from his prestigious Maryland high school are now Hawkeyes. He can be here with them and live and play football in Iowa City without dealing with the craziness and pressure of the SEC. He can grow and mature under a respected, established coach and staff, get a better education, and have every bit of a chance of being drafted by the NFL as he would playing for the other two schools.

I wonder if Dad wants him at Iowa. The fact that he didn't mention the Hawks in his final three might indicate that he liked the love he was getting from the SEC schools. However, mom and dad are bringing him back in. I found it interesting that the family would be voting on it.

I was reading an Alabama board and there is quite a fight between AUburn and Bama posters.
One Auburn poster said an Auburn radio station said that if Cy didn't sign with them that Saban would pull his brother's scholarship. It is crazy.

Maybe he will get fed up with both of those schools and head to Iowa.

Interesting to say the least.

I think Iowa has a very good shot at getting Cyrus, and I think this would be a perfect spot for him.

ESPN.com had a very telling video of Cyrus with his family right after he announced for Auburn. He let on he was having second thoughts about it, and you could tell in his face he was really conflicted. I don't think he was sold on Auburn; it seemed that Mom and Dad also weren't thrilled with it.

Here's why I think we get him, FWIW:

- He's a very smart, sensitive kid. Perhaps too sensitive. The SEC fans at both schools will eat him alive, whichever way he goes, as he's now seeing on his FB page.
- I don't see any way he signs with Auburn, not after announcing on national TV but then being so conflicted about it he left school early yesterday afternoon to think everything through. He couldn't hit the SEND button on his LOI and everything that has transpired the past 24 hours isn't going to make it any easier.
- I doubt he goes to Alabama. That door has been wide open all along and the easiest one for him to walk through to go play with his brother, but he didn't. And I don't think he will.

Which leaves ... Iowa. He liked Iowa, said it felt like home. Three teammates from his prestigious Maryland high school are now Hawkeyes. He can be here with them and live and play football in Iowa City without dealing with the craziness and pressure of the SEC. He can grow and mature under a respected, established coach and staff, get a better education, and have every bit of a chance of being drafted by the NFL as he would playing for the other two schools.

This is my thought exactly. There is virtually no way the kid can go to Auburn now.
The thought that Bama would pull his brother's schollie if Cy didn't commit is just sick, but certainly something that could happen in the SEC.

From Mike Farrell's twitter account:

"Cyrus Kouandjio's father says Iowa is now an option, very interesting because sources have said Iowa was too cold and not exciting enough."

another tweet from him, he sounds like a tool.

"Maybe he wants a whole lot less excitement and much more plain old football now and Iowa offers than chance. I still think it's Bama though"

Also Id like to say thanks to Jon for the new site update, extremely fast.

Last edited:
This is my thought exactly. There is virtually no way the kid can go to Auburn now.
The thought that Bama would pull his brother's schollie if Cy didn't commit is just sick, but certainly something that could happen in the SEC.

All the more reason to come to Iowa and have is bro transfer in with him. :D

This is getting very interesting. Bama and Auburn may end up driving this kid out...and into "our" arms. Could be the best thing that ever happened for Cyrus.

I also read on the Alabama board that Brent Calloway (4* LB), who committed to Alabama, switched to Auburn, then signed with Alabama, said that he was going to sign with whoever gave him the "best scholarship".

Hmm...whatever could that mean?

Did anyone else notice how after the young man announced for Auburn, Luginbill snorted "He ain't going to go to Iowa or New Mexico," like we were some sort of third rate program who just doesn't deserve the better recruits. The young man obviously has a lot of pressure on him. His dad wants him at Alabama with his brother, and I have never seen such an unhappy declaration for a school as the one when he stated he was going to Auburn. Hopefully he is looking at Iowa as the third option that won't cause the friction that he would endure if he chose either of the SEC teams.

Did anyone else notice how after the young man announced for Auburn, Luginbill snorted "He ain't going to go to Iowa or New Mexico," like we were some sort of third rate program who just doesn't deserve the better recruits. The young man obviously has a lot of pressure on him. His dad wants him at Alabama with his brother, and I have never seen such an unhappy declaration for a school as the one when he stated he was going to Auburn. Hopefully he is looking at Iowa as the third option that won't cause the friction that he would endure if he chose either of the SEC teams.

I didn't see that but all night last night the "experts" were saying it's now down to Bama, Auburn and New Mexico with no mention to Iowa.

who is luginbill? video clip of this?

Absolutely heard it. Such BS. ESecPN is a joke. I hardly ever watch it anymore. Everyone should send him Hawkeye stuff and emails when Cyko comes to IOWA!

video of interview on signing day decision.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNTtoetvYnk]YouTube - Cyrus Kouandjio Picks Auburn[/ame]

The exact quote I believe just to clarify was " He was never going to Iowa or New Mexico "

Cyrus knows where his heart is. If he allows himself to look deep inside, he'll be a Hawkeye.

No way will a nice, sensitive kid from a top-notch school in Maryland find happiness in the SEC jungle.

Latest posts