Curious of thoughts on an Urban Meyer hypothetical

With all the good and bad that comes with Urban Meyer, would you want him to take over for KF?

• Yes

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • On the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hawkeye23

This question may have been thrown out there before but I'm not on the forums enough to catch it....

At some point, KF is going to leave the program one way or another. I think most know/believe that if the team continues the 7-8 wins per year and the offense shows even a resemblance of a pulse (which it hasn't lately) then the plan for KF, Barta and the Univ is for BF to take over as the head coach. Whether that should or shouldn't happen is a different topic but let's say it doesn't.

Many believe Iowa can't win NC's, they're only a developmental program, it's a tough place to recruit to and a really good coach would never come here and so it should be accepted that Iowa will never consistently win more than it has been.

Urban Meyer has shown in his analyst life that he has much respect for Iowa and the way they run the program, their hard nose attitude, etc. He is clearly a fantastic recruiter (which everyone says we have to have cause it's so tough to recruit here), excellent coach (people say we can't get one) and very knowledgeable about the game in general. He's won big at a few different places but had plenty of issues whether it be personally with health, retiring/un-retiring and also football wise. I think it's pretty fair to say he's an elite coach, like him or hate him but he has his drawbacks.

Given all that he comes with, both good and bad, if he was willing to take over for KF after he retires......would you want him to be the coach at Iowa?

Funny, I was thinking of posting this exact same question and scenario. I also noticed his respect for Iowa. I may add that the pressure at Iowa is not what is was at Florida and Ohio St. Iowa admin has a very long leash with their coaches so would not be a lot of pressure and a guy like him could prob coach as long as they wanted to. I wondered the same thing.

How would Urban do at Iowa with Iowa's facilities and loyalty to the program, fans and administration?

At this point, he can take Kirk and Brian's wages, kick both to the curb, and make them pay to get in for games ;).

JK......There's always been an edge to Urb, to the point that we as a fan base ribbed him and hated him, but at the end of the day Urban Meyer would have an instant impact with recruits, coaches, and the whole state (yes, including everything west of I35). I can probably say this to the point that we would probably have a 10-2, 11-1 record more often than a 7-5 record.

I doubt if he comes back to the B1G if he comes back ( too much OSU respect ).

I doubt even more strongly he'd come to Iowa.

But if he did come, that would be awesome. I think he could get Iowa at least into the top-20 in recruiting, and give us a modern-looking offense.

I'm guessing the verdict from most of us outside Iowa and the immediate area will be strongly in favor.

The in-staters will be more divided due to his off-field baggage.

Funny, I was thinking of posting this exact same question and scenario. I also noticed his respect for Iowa. I may add that the pressure at Iowa is not what is was at Florida and Ohio St. Iowa admin has a very long leash with their coaches so would not be a lot of pressure and a guy like him could prob coach as long as they wanted to. I wondered the same thing.

How would Urban do at Iowa with Iowa's facilities and loyalty to the program, fans and administration?

Funny that we were thinking of the same topic....I think the facilities and the loyalty of fans would be a positive thing for him to embrace and build off of. He would definitely have less pressure, could make great money and finish out his coaching career if he in fact wanted to coach again. That being said, I don't believe he'd ever take the job.

At this point, he can take Kirk and Brian's wages, kick both to the curb, and make them pay to get in for games ;).

JK......There's always been an edge to Urb, to the point that we as a fan base ribbed him and hated him, but at the end of the day Urban Meyer would have an instant impact with recruits, coaches, and the whole state (yes, including everything west of I35). I can probably say this to the point that we would probably have a 10-2, 11-1 record more often than a 7-5 record.

I would agree

I doubt if he comes back to the B1G if he comes back ( too much OSU respect ).

I doubt even more strongly he'd come to Iowa.

But if he did come, that would be awesome. I think he could get Iowa at least into the top-20 in recruiting, and give us a modern-looking offense.

I'm guessing the verdict from most of us outside Iowa and the immediate area will be strongly in favor.

The in-staters will be more divided due to his off-field baggage.

Yeah, I don't think he will ever come to Iowa. It's more likely that he would take another high profile job like USC, ND or an NFL job.

F that. I never want Iowa to sell their soul for success.

Urban let all kinds of questionable crap go at Florida, including possibly even overlooking Aaron Hernandez' involvement in a gang-related killing, not to mention his debacle with Zach Smith at OSU.

Everyone on here loves to bash MSU or PSU for their institutional crimes, so let's at least not be hypocrites.

F that. I never want Iowa to sell their soul for success.

Urban let all kinds of questionable crap go at Florida, including possibly even overlooking Aaron Hernandez' involvement in a gang-related killing, not to mention his debacle with Zach Smith at OSU.

Everyone on here loves to bash MSU or PSU for their institutional crimes, so let's at least not be hypocrites.

I agree. The latest big issue at OSU seemed bad but I didnt really read a lot about it. I do remember that Meyer's wife was somehow covering up or something also.

Florida's program not only plays on a field called the Swamp but they are a Swamp. Mulitple time violators and probably could have gotten caught multiple times more. I am not sure if Meyer is a downright cheater or just chooses to look the other way or claim no knowledge.

He would make Iowa a better winner but I think there are more standup guys to be the head coach. I would not mind Bob Stoops being lured out of retirement for about 10 years.

Aside from a few presuppositions I think are wrong the key one is: The reason Urban has such respect for Iowa.

the reason Urban has such respect for Iowa is because Kirk Ferentz is the head coach of Iowa; it’s not because Iowa is Iowa.

And just “no” on the Urban to HC.

I agree. The latest big issue at OSU seemed bad but I didnt really read a lot about it. I do remember that Meyer's wife was somehow covering up or something also.

Florida's program not only plays on a field called the Swamp but they are a Swamp. Mulitple time violators and probably could have gotten caught multiple times more. I am not sure if Meyer is a downright cheater or just chooses to look the other way or claim no knowledge.

He would make Iowa a better winner but I think there are more standup guys to be the head coach. I would not mind Bob Stoops being lured out of retirement for about 10 years.

I'd be happy if they backed a dump truck full of money on to Stoops's yard to get him to coach at Iowa....that should have been the call the first time around.

Meh.....Kf and Urban are really good friends with Bill Belichek. What that has to do with this thread I am not sure.....just felt the need to contribute.:)

Aside from a few presuppositions I think are wrong the key one is: The reason Urban has such respect for Iowa.

the reason Urban has such respect for Iowa is because Kirk Ferentz is the head coach of Iowa; it’s not because Iowa is Iowa.

And just “no” on the Urban to HC.

Yep, Urban respects Iowa because it is about the last decent, albeit not great, program where the head coach is basically tenured for life and is the program. Northwestern is essentially the same way. I can't fathom the shit Urb has seen in the recruiting game and what he has seen desperate coaches do to try to save their jobs or move up. And he looks at Ferentz and sees none of that. It probably makes him long for the days when you had long tenured guys all over the landscape and guys didn't get fired for going 9-3. Sometimes you just lose to a better team or because of bad luck, but the pressure that guys at the very pinnacle, like Urban, are under is because of the new instant performance regime that has taken hold in the past 15-20 years. And not just in football, but in damned near everything. But when Urban looks at Kirk, there's probably some sense of envy as to how much stability Kirk seems to have in his life.