Cubs in panic mode already?! (Z to 'pen)

I agree with what Deace said this morning. Its basically a move that says " nothing to see here go about your lives" The last 2 seasons I have basically said give me a reason to cheer for you and I might start paying attention and it looks like they are going to suck again(I hope I am wrong) but things are not looking good on the north side.

The cubs have won 97 and 85 games respectively in the last two years. They have had 3 winning seasons in a row for the first time since 1970 to 1972. If that isn't enough "reason to cheer for" them you should consider following another baseball team.

They very well might struggle this year but to say they have sucked the last two years is laughable, especially to those who can remember four winning seasons between 1973 and 2003.

You seem to lack perspective, common sense, or both.

I actually really like this move. Zambrano is clearly the most inconsistent starter on the team. I would rather have a pitcher that I know will go 6 or 7 innings and give up 3-4 runs each game as opposed to a pitcher who will one day pitch a no-hitter and then the next start give up 8 runs in less than 2 innings. We also don't have anybody in the pen, other than Marmol, who has nasty "stuff" and can get the team out of ugly situations that require a couple strikeouts (like bases loaded, nobody out). Zambrano will be able to come in for an inning at a time and unleash high 90's fastballs, and assuming he can find the strike zone, should be able to succeed in this role. Also, this may light a fire under his azz and help him out when he gets back to the rotation. This organization has babied him for too long, and this sort of move has been long overdue. This helps out a very, very bad bullpen. One suggestion to the organization....Get ride of Samardzija. Don't just send him to AAA, but get him out of the whole organization. Not only did he play college for the most annoying team in all of college football, but he's a horrible pitcher.

I think it shows desperation in that they are afraid the bullpen will cause them to fall so far behind the cardinals that pujols and the boys will runaway with the central. Maybe that desperation is necessary, but it sure doesn't put much confidence in their very young bullpen to start pitching well. Zambrano is going to be used in the 7th and 8th innings and Lou said he likes that he could be used in double switches to save another bat off the bench in later inning games. Zambrano just pitched his best game of the year. I actually think this will work out because Z definitely has dominant stuff as a reliever. I also think he is going to be a reliever right up until silvas shoulder falls off, reality sits in and silva sucks again, or we sign braden looper to be the 8th inning guy.

The cubs have won 97 and 85 games respectively in the last two years. They have had 3 winning seasons in a row for the first time since 1970 to 1972. If that isn't enough "reason to cheer for" them you should consider following another baseball team.

They very well might struggle this year but to say they have sucked the last two years is laughable, especially to those who can remember four winning seasons between 1973 and 2003.

You seem to lack perspective, common sense, or both.

I was talking about this season and last season. Winning seasons are great but what does it matter at the end of the day when you don't win a championship? Its all about that Ring, it ain't intramurals, its the freaking Major Leagues

I actually really like this move. Zambrano is clearly the most inconsistent starter on the team. I would rather have a pitcher that I know will go 6 or 7 innings and give up 3-4 runs each game as opposed to a pitcher who will one day pitch a no-hitter and then the next start give up 8 runs in less than 2 innings. We also don't have anybody in the pen, other than Marmol, who has nasty "stuff" and can get the team out of ugly situations that require a couple strikeouts (like bases loaded, nobody out). Zambrano will be able to come in for an inning at a time and unleash high 90's fastballs, and assuming he can find the strike zone, should be able to succeed in this role. Also, this may light a fire under his azz and help him out when he gets back to the rotation. This organization has babied him for too long, and this sort of move has been long overdue. This helps out a very, very bad bullpen. One suggestion to the organization....Get ride of Samardzija. Don't just send him to AAA, but get him out of the whole organization. Not only did he play college for the most annoying team in all of college football, but he's a horrible pitcher.

As I have stated quite often, Samardzija has a no trade clause in his 2.5 million/year contract. He isn't going anywhere.

I think it's a good move. Right now Z's been the worst starting pitcher for the Cubs, and he hasn't been bad at all outside his first start. The bullpen is just killing the Cubs especially in the 8th inning. They have plenty of lefties in the pen so Gorzelany doesn't make sense to move, Silva was probably the worst major league starting pitcher over the last two years so the great pitching you're getting from him right now is something you don't want to screw up. So if Z can help shore up the pen until Silva returns to normal or Gorzelany falls apart then why not make this move? And if they keep pitching like this all year, well the Cubs will have great starting pitching all season then.

As I have stated quite often, Samardzija has a no trade clause in his 2.5 million/year contract. He isn't going anywhere.

Interesting note about Sam on the game the other night. They were talking about how the Cubs fast tracked him, and how he really doesn't have his feet wet when it comes to big league hitters. He's got a ton of talent and pitching in the bigs is so much about knowing your opponent and experience. I think with his football background he will not be one of those quick flameouts. With that being said I think he should be in AAA right now, but who do we have that is better in the pen? Not counting Little Z.

Is anyone else like me and just assumes the Cubs are about to give up at least 2 runs whenever Samardzija comes in?

Is anyone else like me and just assumes the Cubs are about to give up at least 2 runs whenever Samardzija comes in?

Not just 2 runs. There is a good chance that he could give up 2 HOME RUNS every time he comes in. His belly button high fastball that tails in to right handers at 91-92 mph just gets smoked.

Big Z batting in the 8th with the bases loaded after coming in during the bottom of the 7th and he hits a Sac Fly to right (to the warning track). He also lost his shoe while hitting the ball. Got a run home - Good Job Z!

Anybody know why the State of Iowa doesn't have a professional Major Leage Baseball team? Yep, that's right......because then Illinois would get jealous and want one too! :D

Big Z batting in the 8th with the bases loaded after coming in during the bottom of the 7th and he hits a Sac Fly to right (to the warning track). He also lost his shoe while hitting the ball. Got a run home - Good Job Z!

I was pumped to see him get in there an pitch on Saturday night...although his did give up one meaningless run, I think that was a great situation to get him in there. I'm just amazed at the cubs starting pitchers this season, they have been solid! Hopefully they can have a good home-stand and get some momentum going now.

The bats finally came alive to for an entire series! What's nice is that Aramis is in a career-worst slump right now and D-Lee has a low avg...but other guys are getting it done. In the past, they would've been dead with both those two in slumps. How about The-riot having a 5/6 day? Also, Colvin impresses me more and more every time he plays!

I was pumped to see him get in there an pitch on Saturday night...although his did give up one meaningless run, I think that was a great situation to get him in there. I'm just amazed at the cubs starting pitchers this season, they have been solid! Hopefully they can have a good home-stand and get some momentum going now.

The bats finally came alive to for an entire series! What's nice is that Aramis is in a career-worst slump right now and D-Lee has a low avg...but other guys are getting it done. In the past, they would've been dead with both those two in slumps. How about The-riot having a 5/6 day? Also, Colvin impresses me more and more every time he plays!
Yes, nice to see the Cubs sweep the Brew Crew this weekend. The bats were timely and the pitching was good. I was interested to see if Z could come back the next day, but they obviously did not need him. :)

I hope it continues this week at home vs. the Nationals and D-Backs.

Definitely look forward to seeing more of Colvin.

Latest posts