Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

It's a long shot at best to see another team trying to take Big Z and his salary with the baggage he brings with it. My guess is that Theo has been shopping Z around, he found absolutely no takers, so he has no choice but to at least give him a chance. Dave Kaplan did say that the Ricketts gave Theo full authority to eat salary if it means putting together a more solid team. So I am assuming Theo is going to let Z at least try to earn his pay before dumping him and his millions he is owed.
Agreed that Z was shopped. I was just hoping that the team would be rid of the headache of wondering when the blowup will happen. He walked out on his team. To me, that is unforgivable.

I like that Theo is seemingly making him work his way back, but I have seen this show before. I do not see this leopard changing his spots and he is on the downside of value as a player. It's not my money to eat, but I was thinking a clean slate for this administration would be nice. If they are willing to give it a try with Z, then we will see what happens.

Agreed that Z was shopped. I was just hoping that the team would be rid of the headache of wondering when the blowup will happen. He walked out on his team. To me, that is unforgivable.

I like that Theo is seemingly making him work his way back, but I have seen this show before. I do not see this leopard changing his spots and he is on the downside of value as a player. It's not my money to eat, but I was thinking a clean slate for this administration would be nice. If they are willing to give it a try with Z, then we will see what happens.

I don't see Z back. I see this as the cubs saying they'll see what happens and still try to trade him. I don't care if they trade him and eat every bit of his contract but dear goodness how can he still be a Cub after all the crap he has pulled. You know his teammates feel betrayed. This is just as bad as Milton Bradley crap.

Not really, Milton Bradley was an azzhole an awful person to even be around. Zambrano is just to emotional and has not figured out a way to control it.

With a team that has a need for pitching, and under a new regime, I'd bet Z is back on the mound. I'd bet that Theo has shopped him, and while a trade could still happen, I don't think Theo will trade him just to be rid of him. He will want something in return given that Zambrano isn't even 30 yet and still has good years ahead of him.

Look, Z is a competitor. He just happens to be someone who hates losing. I don't condone what he pulled in Atlanta. I was shouting for the Cubs to cut him immediately after. However, having some time to think about it, I've come to realize that Z is still an asset on the field. IF, and this is key, IF Z can buy into Theo and his vision, I think Cubs fans will be surprised w/ Z. Just a gut feeling.

If Theo has shopped Z to no avail, I would bet Z's agent Barry Praver probably told him to get his act together because this very well may be his last chance, with anyone.

The line that really caught my attention was Ricketts giving Theo permission to eat money if it meant fielding a better team. To me, that would indicate Theo will shop Soriano, and shop him hard, probably a lot harder than Z.

What does Z have, one more year on his contract? If so, I guess what I would do is first of all, shop Z around to see if I can get anything for him. Assuming not, then rather than simply dumping him and eating the $18 million or whatever you owe him, I guess give him a chance to see if he can produce something this year. When Z has his head on straight, he still can be VERY good and can help the team.

If Z has a good year, maybe you can trade him to someone later in the season and at least get something in return for him, even if it's not a lot. But I sure wouldn't re-sign the guy to a new contract.

If it doesn't work out and he has another blowup, well, then I guess you can just release him or whatever. But either way, you're rid of him after the year is over.

Guess you may as well hope to get some production out of him rather than just dumping him. And like the previous poster said, the Cubs do need starting pitching. If you hang onto him though, I would definitely have a zero-tolerance policy. Next strike, and you're out.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks that the Cubs are desperate for pitching and should try to make it work with Z. Then I remember that he quit on his team, had multiple dugout outburst including fist fights, and is overall not mentally stable. The Cubs need to get rid of the cancer and start fresh.

The only thing z needs is to be on a winning team. The guy can't handle loosing, and I don't just mean personal loosing.

Francona took his name out of the running for manager.

Also, a couple of free agent rumors. Cubs have been inquiring about Bruce Chen and there is a Mark Buehrle rumor flying around.

Francona took his name out of the running for manager.

Also, a couple of free agent rumors. Cubs have been inquiring about Bruce Chen and there is a Mark Buehrle rumor flying around.

Oh Hell no on Chen and I don't want Buehrle. Buehre would make a good final piece of the puzzle to get you over the top. It's just a waste of money bringing him to the Cubs.

For the record, no one on NSBB.com is putting too much credence in it, but they are hearing no Maddux.

I guess, if true, Sveum is better than Alomar and Mackanin in my opinion. Also opens the door to Fielder???

If Z comes back and is healthy and has his temper under control then he is no better than a 4 or 5 now. His prime has come and gone. He will be good for 10-12 wins.

If Z comes back and is healthy and has his temper under control then he is no better than a 4 or 5 now. His prime has come and gone. He will be good for 10-12 wins.

You're kidding right? Zambrano is only 30 years old not hardly past his prime. When he keeps his emotions under control he has unhittable stuff.

It said on the CUBSCOM board that the Cubs are going to go watch two Cuban playerrs work out next week. One is a pretty good outfielder. The only bad news is that 7 other teams are also interested in him.

You're kidding right? Zambrano is only 30 years old not hardly past his prime. When he keeps his emotions under control he has unhittable stuff.
Big Z is hardly unhittable now. 145 IP for the season and 154 hits allowed (9.5 per 9 IP). His WHIP (1.442) was much higher than his career (1.319). His best 2 performances last year were against the Padres (8 IP, 3 Hits, 10 K and 0 ER on April 18) and Astros (8 IP, 7 Hits, 1 ER, and 7 K on May 31). I am not sure either qualifies as a MLB team. He may not be a 4 or 5, but he is not a 1 or 2. He also is trustworthy on the mound or in the clubhouse.

Big Z is hardly unhittable now. 145 IP for the season and 154 hits allowed (9.5 per 9 IP). His WHIP (1.442) was much higher than his career (1.319). His best 2 performances last year were against the Padres (8 IP, 3 Hits, 10 K and 0 ER on April 18) and Astros (8 IP, 7 Hits, 1 ER, and 7 K on May 31). I am not sure either qualifies as a MLB team. He may not be a 4 or 5, but he is not a 1 or 2. He also is trustworthy on the mound or in the clubhouse.

But how many times have we seen him come out and mow down hitters for the first 4/5 innings then give up a hit and completely fall apart? When he keeps his emotions in check he has good stuff.

I am not saying he is a #1 nor am I advocating him being back on the team but he is hardly past his prime.

Latest posts