Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

I need to state that I know this will never happen nor do I think it would be good for the Cub's clubhouse. But what if the marlins traded hanley Ramirez to the cubs to play 3B. I think it would be funny that the reason he got traded was cause he didn't want to play 3B but would for the cubs.

Now like I said I know it won't happen nor do I want his attitude, but it would be a slap in the face to the marlins.

I'm not too excited that Theo is going after nobodys now. How is this gonna make us better in the future if the players they get suck. I will be very ****** if we don't sign Fielder but keep Zambrano around.

I'm not too excited that Theo is going after nobodys now. How is this gonna make us better in the future if the players they get suck. I will be very ****** if we don't sign Fielder but keep Zambrano around.

I won't be ****** if we don't sign Fielder (I don't care for his body type, and his defense is pretty bad, which is not something we need more of on our infield). And keeping Zambrano may be the only option we have right now. Nobody else wants him.

Guys like Stewart/DeJesus/Headley have value. They're good glue players to have. But for right now, it appears that Theo is biding time until he can make the kind of big moves he wants to/can make.

I'm not a big fan of Stewart but it's a worth while trade. Colvin isn't good and likely won't be so getting a guy who used to be a big time prospect for cheap could be worse.

Trading junk for junk.

Kind of, I see it as Cheap player who had a few slightly above average years and then a terrible year in a recent year (Stewart) for a player who had a fluky decent year and one terrible year (Colvin) and a prospect that I'm not remotely impressed with (LeMahieu)

Kind of, I see it as Cheap player who had a few slightly above average years and then a terrible year in a recent year (Stewart) for a player who had a fluky decent year and one terrible year (Colvin) and a prospect that I'm not remotely impressed with (LeMahieu)

This. It's a no-lose proposition for the Cubs. I would have preferred Headley, but Stewart isn't a bad pickup for the price.

This. It's a no-lose proposition for the Cubs. I would have preferred Headley, but Stewart isn't a bad pickup for the price.

I would have loved Headley but I don't think the Padres were that eager to trade him.

The Cubs had no use for Colvin and a big hole at third base so pretty much an even swap there. LaMahieu was a decent hitter with high average and little power, ok for a second baseman but not the production you expect out of third base. I will be curious to see what they've got out of Weathers, he is a former #1 pick that had elbow surgery in 2009.

Right now all I am seeing is the Cubs down grading offensively and exchanging crap for crap. We have got nothing to get excited about.

The Cubs had no use for Colvin and a big hole at third base so pretty much an even swap there. LaMahieu was a decent hitter with high average and little power, ok for a second baseman but not the production you expect out of third base. I will be curious to see what they've got out of Weathers, he is a former #1 pick that had elbow surgery in 2009.

Right now all I am seeing is the Cubs down grading offensively and exchanging crap for crap. We have got nothing to get excited about.
Yep, so far the Cubs are taking chances on a couple of players (DeJesus and Stewart) who had down years to bounce back. Nothing major. This will be a long process. It continues to be interesting to see what happens around the league. Let's see what happens with Prince now.

I think the trade for Stewart is great. Is he going to have the offensive output of Rammy? Maybe actually. And maybe he'll actually do it when it matters. Guy had a wrist injury last year, he'll be better this year. You get rid of Colvin who wasn't going to play due to DeJesus signing and LaM who was not going to provide the offense at 3B you wanted.

My question is who did you guys want to play 3B? Arod?
It's a good signing to fill a spot for a few years until the Cubs develop Vitters or can sign a bigger 3B, and it also keeps some $ open.

Also, maybe they sign Fielder, maybe not. I think they will, but he's not the piece to make this team a champion in 2012. maybe down the road but they need major upgrade in pitching first to compete.

I'm ready to see what some of these young prospects can do (jackson, carpenter, vitters, szcur (SP)). Go cubs. I like what I'm seeing.

The Stewart deal is hardly a blockbuster, but you're picking up somebody that can supposedly play good D at 3B (a hole that needed to be filled) and has the potential to hit for some power.. Looks like Stewart isn't going to hit for much average based on his career stats, but you could say the same for Colvin, who has zero plate discipline from what I've seen so far.

And maybe Weathers will bounce back and be productive, since he was a highly rated draft pick just a few years ago. Sounds like he still has a good arm.. So there's some potential there.

I also hope and think they sign Fielder. Dude isnt the 2nd coming of Cecil. He is just a bigger guy and takes pretty good care of his body as far as his diet. My only concern would be that he may get careless after he inks his big deal and gain some weight, but I think hes better than that.

He is twice the baseball player and athlete than his old man.

I think the trade for Stewart is great. Is he going to have the offensive output of Rammy? Maybe actually. And maybe he'll actually do it when it matters. Guy had a wrist injury last year, he'll be better this year. You get rid of Colvin who wasn't going to play due to DeJesus signing and LaM who was not going to provide the offense at 3B you wanted.

My question is who did you guys want to play 3B? Arod?
It's a good signing to fill a spot for a few years until the Cubs develop Vitters or can sign a bigger 3B, and it also keeps some $ open.

Also, maybe they sign Fielder, maybe not. I think they will, but he's not the piece to make this team a champion in 2012. maybe down the road but they need major upgrade in pitching first to compete.

I'm ready to see what some of these young prospects can do (jackson, carpenter, vitters, szcur (SP)). Go cubs. I like what I'm seeing.

You have lost your mind.

Stewart's best year: .228/.322/.464 (avg/obp/slg) with 25 hr's and .5 WAR

Ramirez's last year : .306/.361/.510 with 26 HR and 3.6 WAR

I think it's a good trade but he's not matching Rammy's numbers, and he's not likely to come close. He's never shown the ability to hit for a respectable average let alone a good one.

If he can hit .275 with his ability to draw walks he'd be a pretty good player for the Cubs. Sounds an awful lot like Carlos Pena except without the gold glove defense.

You have lost your mind.

Stewart's best year: .228/.322/.464 (avg/obp/slg) with 25 hr's and .5 WAR

Ramirez's last year : .306/.361/.510 with 26 HR and 3.6 WAR

I think it's a good trade but he's not matching Rammy's numbers, and he's not likely to come close. He's never shown the ability to hit for a respectable average let alone a good one.

If he can hit .275 with his ability to draw walks he'd be a pretty good player for the Cubs. Sounds an awful lot like Carlos Pena except without the gold glove defense.

He has hit .259 before with .804 OPS. I'm just hoping he can do something early. In april and may last year Rammy had 1 HR and only 19 RBIS. by the time he amounted to anything the cubs were out of it.

Yeah Ramirez the past 2 seasons hit really well when nothing was on the line. But I hardly call Stewart an upgrade offensively. But Hawkfarmer you are right about 1 thing there really was not anybody else out there at third base available.

The way the Cubs are stockpiling players with small contracts it makes me wonder if they are going to make a run at Fielder. They did offer Pena arbitration which he refused (I think they get a compensation draft pick for this). If the season started today LaHair is your starting first basemen.

Sorry to confuse everybody. I'm not saying Stewart is an upgrade. He may be defensively, rammy was not good. On the offensive side there is some power there, not like rammy, but my concern is that ramirez got hot in July when it was not even a contest for the cubs.

Stewart is little more than a place holder. Either Vitters or Baez or a new kid will be up in a year or two and Stewart can go. If not there is always a chance of a FA 3B coming up eventually. Stewart does a nice job of filling the void for now. Many more holes to fill than 3B, so if you can do it cheap enough with a decent talent, then why not.

I think the cubs are in on Fielder and are looking for some young pitching prospects.

I don't think Theo ever thought the cubs were going to win year 1. he's planning for year 3 and beyond.

Latest posts