Cougill ruled academically ineligible

he used the words "system" and "can't guarantee he'll be back at Iowa". I think this is the end for Cougs in an Iowa uni.

Is this a best case scenario for Fran? Let's be honest, Cougs doesn't fit the mold of what the new system will need and instead of having an unhappy person sitting on the bench, he is ruled ineligible by his own hand. In Lick's system he excels because he likes to play on the outside and fastbreaks were few and far between.

Fran also stated that they'd like to re-recruit him, I don't think the door is completely closed.

Wow. Didn't see that coming. Anyone know how bad you have to do to be academically ineligible? Is it a GPA, like below 2.0 or something else, like any failing grade makes one ineligible?

So does that open the door for Moore to get his scholorship or does Iowa hope to bank on a nice big in next years class? Personaly I don't have a problem with Moore getting one.

In the Hawkeye report video with Cougill I did find it funny when asked about taking classes during the summer he answered quickly that he wasn't, yet all his other teamates were.

There goes the season. . .

Seriously, how do you get academically inelligible if you are on scholarship? I have never understood that. Don't they have a lot of supports for those guys?

This doesn't help the Hawkeyes in anyway this season. Brennan is the best true center that the Hawkeyes had, and was adept at the outlet pass to kick off the fast break.

The Hawkeyes options at the center position are Cole and Brommer now.

Iowa's recruiting for 2011 probably just changed drastically. I expect they will be going center hunting this July.

This doesn't help the Hawkeyes in anyway this season. Brennan is the best true center that the Hawkeyes had, and was adept at the outlet pass to kick off the fast break.

Iowa's recruiting for 2011 probably just changed drastically. I expect they will be going center hunting this July.

He was far from a TRUE center

How "adept" at outlet passes can you be when you only average 3 rebounds a game? If he was rebounding machine, I could see the point, but he wasnt (last year).

Its too bad for Brennan, but it opens the door for Fran to look for someone else who is more athletic and fits the run and gun system. Though, if Brennan rebuilds his academics, builds up his body to play fast, and improves overall, perhaps he earns his way back.....otherwise UNI or Creighton could use his size.

Last edited:
So does that open the door for Moore to get his scholorship or does Iowa hope to bank on a nice big in next years class? Personaly I don't have a problem with Moore getting one.

Based on his past he would just end up in a similar situation after a year here. How much is this going to hurt Iowa's APR status with this and Tucker in the past two seasons?

Latest posts