Connor McCaffery seems destined for hoops success

6'4" pg, so already has handles. Only a frosh, so room to add a couple inches. Maybe Iowa can strike it rich with a McDermott-like situation. Could be just what the Hawks need in 4 years!

It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

In comparing to the McDermott situation, keep one thing in mind.....Greg encouraged Doug to sign with UNI because he didn't think Doug had the skill set to play at the BCS conference level. It'll be interesting to see Connor can develop into a B1G level point/shooting guard and comes to play with his dad or if Fran will end up feeling like he won't be able to cut it in the B1G.

In comparing to the McDermott situation, keep one thing in mind.....Greg encouraged Doug to sign with UNI because he didn't think Doug had the skill set to play at the BCS conference level. It'll be interesting to see Connor can develop into a B1G level point/shooting guard and comes to play with his dad or if Fran will end up feeling like he won't be able to cut it in the B1G.
So, you're saying that Greg isn't very good at evaluating talent.

I don't think that's entirely correct. Greg was worried about losing his job at the time with the Clones and rightfully didn't want Doug in the middle of it. The ISU fans HATED Greg at the time. If ISU had been winning, there is no doubt in my mind Doug would have played there. Watched Doug and Harrison Barnes playing together and was just as impressed with Doug. I think Greg knew what he had or more than what most expected.

The UNI coach was Doug's godfather and Doug lived in Cedar Falls for several years. I think Greg thought it was a "safe" place for Doug to play during his turmoil at ISU. Then the lucky SOB falls into the Creighton job, steals his son back from UNI and now he's some kind of genius. It's amazing how everything fell into place for Greg. He was almost out of a job and UNI could have had a multi-year All American.

I don't think that's entirely correct. Greg was worried about losing his job at the time with the Clones and rightfully didn't want Doug in the middle of it. The ISU fans HATED Greg at the time. If ISU had been winning, there is no doubt in my mind Doug would have played there. Watched Doug and Harrison Barnes playing together and was just as impressed with Doug. I think Greg knew what he had or more than what most expected.

The UNI coach was Doug's godfather and Doug lived in Cedar Falls for several years. I think Greg thought it was a "safe" place for Doug to play during his turmoil at ISU. Then the lucky SOB falls into the Creighton job, steals his son back from UNI and now he's some kind of genius. It's amazing how everything fell into place for Greg. He was almost out of a job and UNI could have had a multi-year All American.

I think your memory of that is somewhat selective.

First of all, few, if any Clone fans, hated Greg. They were certainly disappointed with the results, but it wasn't like he was univerally vilified like an Alford (or even a Lickliter).

Second, you may have been just as impressed with Doug, but no one was knocking down his door with offers. He also committed to UNI after his junior year was complete and at that point, Greg's job wasn't in jeopardy.

Finally, you've got a lot of class calling Greg an SOB. The guy is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and is universally respected throughout the college basketball world. So it didn't work out at ISU....that's reason to start calling the guy names?

Stay classy my friend!

connor is 6'5" now

reasonable to see him at 6'7" as a senior

3 with a guard's handle and (hopefully) a good jump shot. worst case, josh with two more inches.

the anti-lil' lick

Curious to see which opposing coaches will recruit Connor... just to see Marge, lol.

He has definitely got the genes and the opportunity to be at least a solid all around player. Hopefully he has the extra heartbeat that will make him a great player.

First of all, few, if any Clone fans, hated Greg. They were certainly disappointed with the results, but it wasn't like he was univerally vilified like an Alford (or even a Lickliter).

Second, you may have been just as impressed with Doug, but no one was knocking down his door with offers. He also committed to UNI after his junior year was complete and at that point, Greg's job wasn't in jeopardy.

Finally, you've got a lot of class calling Greg an SOB. The guy is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and is universally respected throughout the college basketball world. So it didn't work out at ISU....that's reason to start calling the guy names?

Stay classy my friend!

I think if you checked on the Cyclone board, they are pretty much universal in their feelings about the "McDermott era" and it's not good. He had quite a bit of talent and failed miserably, based on what I've read.

You're offended by me saying "lucky SOB"?? You think that was a personal attack? Yikes, thin skin, man. People use that term all the time when referring to friends. Don't take it so literally. And yes, he was an awfully fortunate gentleman to have obtained the position of head coach at Creighton when things weren't working out at ISU due to issues beyond his control. Feel better?

Back on topic, hope to see Fran and the Hawks doing well and Connor tearing it up and he ends up at Iowa.

First of all, few, if any Clone fans, hated Greg. They were certainly disappointed with the results, but it wasn't like he was univerally vilified like an Alford (or even a Lickliter). [...] He also committed to UNI after his junior year was complete and at that point, Greg's job wasn't in jeopardy.

Not to derail the thread, but I believe what cf84 said to be true. The only reason Doug McDermott was not committed to Iowa State was uncertainty over Greg's future.

If you will recall, Iowa State was coming off of four losing seasons under McDermott, including an 18-46 record in the Big 12. A simple search for "McDermott Iowa State hotseat" yields numerous results showing the shaky ground on which he stood (example). He had been criticized for being unable to retain talent; his poor relationships with players led starter Lucca Staiger to leave for Europe mid-season, influenced Wes Johnson's decision to transfer to Syracuse (where he became a top 5 NBA draft pick), and contributed to the dismissal of leading scorer Mike Taylor (though Taylor now acknowledges McDermott was trying to help him). If not for the fact that McDermott had a $2M buyout and another 5 years on his contract, I have no doubt that Iowa State would have fired him that season. (Here's a link from the time of McDermott's hiring where Creighton fans come to the same conclusion.) There was little chance of McDermott lasting the length of the contract, meaning he would have likely been fired during Doug's collegiate career. Fortunately for all parties involved, Creighton was willing to hire McDermott, paying $800k for the right to do so. With the security of a ten year contract, McDermott immediately announced that Doug would be joining him at Creighton, allowing him to frame his move down from a solid Big 12 program to an upper level Missouri Valley school as something other than a demotion.

In the end, all parties stuck to this narrative in the press releases, since it worked beautifully for all involved: Iowa State made $800k instead of losing over $2M, Greg avoided the embarrassment of a firing while having the opportunity to coach his son, and Creighton got a coach with a proven track record in the Valley.

Does he have a temper?

The one game that I saw him play in this year, he got T'ed up for disputing a foul call.

What, if anything, are you all heaing about Conner transferring to Cedar Rapids Xaiver and playing for Ryan Luersman? Considering he started at Iowa City West, one of top teams in Iowa, I don't think it would make much sense. But, have been hearing some rumblings that he might end up at Xavier.

I think if you checked on the Cyclone board, they are pretty much universal in their feelings about the "McDermott era" and it's not good. He had quite a bit of talent and failed miserably, based on what I've read.

You're offended by me saying "lucky SOB"?? You think that was a personal attack? Yikes, thin skin, man. People use that term all the time when referring to friends. Don't take it so literally. And yes, he was an awfully fortunate gentleman to have obtained the position of head coach at Creighton when things weren't working out at ISU due to issues beyond his control. Feel better?

Back on topic, hope to see Fran and the Hawks doing well and Connor tearing it up and he ends up at Iowa.

If cyfan is anything like HN, then it accounts for about.001% of actual fans. They all may have hated McDermott, but that doesn't mean that most did. I was at ISU during his tenure there and the students still liked him and so did most of the cyclone faithful.

What, if anything, are you all heaing about Conner transferring to Cedar Rapids Xaiver and playing for Ryan Luersman? Considering he started at Iowa City West, one of top teams in Iowa, I don't think it would make much sense. But, have been hearing some rumblings that he might end up at Xavier.

From what I know they were weighing options last year and decided on West. I think this decision has been made...but never say never.

Latest posts