Connor McCaffery seems destined for hoops success

Can you imagine fran all red faced and vibrating head screaming at you at home because you defied your mother. Scary stuff. I bet Conner is one well behaved kid.

The whole Conner situation should tell us a lot in the end about Fran as a coach who can or cannot develop players.

The whole Conner situation should tell us a lot in the end about Fran as a coach who can or cannot develop players.

Maybe, but I am sure future hall of fame West High Coach Bergman will have him well-schooled on defensive techniques.

2013-2014: 6.1ppg, 31.8% from 3, 2.46 A/TO
2014-2015: 16.8ppg, 46.2% from 3, 0.9 A/TO through 4 games.

4 games isn't much to go off of but it looks like IC West is focusing on using him to score a lot more this season.

2013-2014: 6.1ppg, 31.8% from 3, 2.46 A/TO
2014-2015: 16.8ppg, 46.2% from 3, 0.9 A/TO through 4 games.

4 games isn't much to go off of but it looks like IC West is focusing on using him to score a lot more this season.

They didn't need him to score last year. Between Lohaus, DiLeo and Chike Ukah, they just need McCaffrey to focus on distributing and chip in a few points here and there. Two of those three guys are gone now, so expect Connor's numbers to stay pretty close to where they're at now.

They didn't need him to score last year. Between Lohaus, DiLeo and Chike Ukah, they just need McCaffrey to focus on distributing and chip in a few points here and there. Two of those three guys are gone now, so expect Connor's numbers to stay pretty close to where they're at now.

Makes sense. Looking at the box scores, DiLeo has only played in 1 game, perhaps an injury? That could be one reason why Connor's A/TO ratio is down so much, not having a scorer to dish to can do that. Then again, only 4 games in, one bad game can strongly skew the numbers. Should be interesting to see if IC West can repeat yet again.

If cyfan is anything like HN, then it accounts for about.001% of actual fans. They all may have hated McDermott, but that doesn't mean that most did. I was at ISU during his tenure there and the students still liked him and so did most of the cyclone faithful.

The students had a interesting way of showing their liked or him by not showing up to the games where his team's played.

The fanbase didn't hate the man but they were absolutely done with him as coach of the Cyclones.

At what point in high school will he move off the ball?

He's obviously young and playing at the highest level for Iowa High school basketball and he's a highly rated recruit.

With that said, my concern is how does he transition from being a smart PG distributor to a scoring threat off the ball which in my opinion will be closer to the role he will have to play in college.

It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

In comparing to the McDermott situation, keep one thing in mind.....Greg encouraged Doug to sign with UNI because he didn't think Doug had the skill set to play at the BCS conference level. It'll be interesting to see Connor can develop into a B1G level point/shooting guard and comes to play with his dad or if Fran will end up feeling like he won't be able to cut it in the B1G.

I haven't read the rest of the posts so someone may have already mentioned. But, I don't think it happened like that or the way it happen was the truth. I truly believe dad McDermott saw the writing on the wall and knew he wasn't going to be at Iowa St & navigated his son away from the situation.

At what point in high school will he move off the ball?

He's obviously young and playing at the highest level for Iowa High school basketball and he's a highly rated recruit.

With that said, my concern is how does he transition from being a smart PG distributor to a scoring threat off the ball which in my opinion will be closer to the role he will have to play in college.

You've been that age. Not until he graduates & finds a woman that crushes his manhood! You never move off the ball in HS!! :eek:

Sounds like he is going to be a great addition to the Hawks. Coaches sons usually are pretty savvy on the court.

Anyone seen the Wieskamp kid out of Muscatine yet? 6' 4" Freshman playing on the varsity and averaging 23+ ppg so far. I have not seen him play yet but he's supposed to be quite the athlete, a hustler and a natural scorer. Hopefully he's a Hawkeye. Might be a nice compliment to McCaffery.

Sounds like he is going to be a great addition to the Hawks. Coaches sons usually are pretty savvy on the court.

Anyone seen the Wieskamp kid out of Muscatine yet? 6' 4" Freshman playing on the varsity and averaging 23+ ppg so far. I have not seen him play yet but he's supposed to be quite the athlete, a hustler and a natural scorer. Hopefully he's a Hawkeye. Might be a nice compliment to McCaffery.

Hopefully Mccaffery is half as good as the Lickliter kid.

Sounds as if the next son, Patrick, is quite the player as well. Already dunking the ball in 8th grade. Hope his cancer is totally in the past.

I haven't seen them play yet this year. I do plan on attending a home game or two. (I live in Muscatine) His older brother, a senior, was second team all state punter as well as the QB (passed for 1500 yds and 14 TDs, ran for 635 yds and 14 TDs) and a pretty good athlete. I've heard from friends here that the freshman is the real deal - quicks, hops and a smart player with no attitude problems. The coach, Brandon Welsch, played for a year on Iowa's Grey squad for Davis, but transferred to Kirkwood and then went to play at Robert Morris University.

Latest posts