Connor McCaffery Receives One of Open Scholarships

This disappoints me not in the fact that Conner doesn't deserve a scolly (he does) Its more in the fact that I thought, by what I was reading, Fran was gonna do whatever it took to turn this thing around. I thought that meant saving the open scolly to bring in a grad student or juco guard. That now does not seem to be the plan and he's doubling down on the current team which may or may not have some of its most important cogs coming back. Even a healthy Conner and Weiskamp won't change Iowa's defense much. Maybe 2 or 3 more wins at max maybe less. Am I the only one that feels this way?

What's really disappointing, and telling, is with over 400 transfers a year now, and plenty of PT at the 1 and 2, Fran can't land one frickin' transfer to help with what's always been a weakness since he's been here. Truth is outside of kids who grew up in Iowa, are fans or have some family connection Fran's recruiting is shit.

No doubt about that, but there was a game in Minnesota that should've been a win if the refs grant a timeout in regulation. Would've up'ed RPI because Minnesota was a good team that year. Nebraska went to like 3 OT's and if I remember right had a rob job from the refs that game as well. that takes you to a 21 game winning season. With the loss to Nebraska that year it would've lowered the RPI and if you get that win it doesn't hurt the team. Obviously hypothetical. But Michigan State was another sketchy game that year as well.
Fair points. Bottom line to me is that they knew they had to win at the BTT and they got smoked by an average team.

@IHawk94 I aint one to tell my fellow Hawk fans to turn down a fight, but you are yelling at a wall here. There isn't any room for optimism or "hope" on these boards and any person who defends Fran in any way shape or form, or the program, or has anything good to say about what it's done, where it could go or what you hope might happen will receive the same bully mentality from the same 5 guys on this site. If you want to have a rational positive conversation about Iowa hoops, this isn't the place.

What's really disappointing, and telling, is with over 400 transfers a year now, and plenty of PT at the 1 and 2, Fran can't land one frickin' transfer to help with what's always been a weakness since he's been here. Truth is outside of kids who grew up in Iowa, are fans or have some family connection Fran's recruiting is shit.

Where are you finding this PT at the 1 and 2? CM, JB, IM, CW, CJF, MD all play the 1 and 2. The 3 is the biggest void, but I don't mind not getting anyone there because it requires Fran to play a more guard dominated lineup which is what the basketball world is shifting too anyway.

@IHawk94 I aint one to tell my fellow Hawk fans to turn down a fight, but you are yelling at a wall here. There isn't any room for optimism or "hope" on these boards and any person who defends Fran in any way shape or form, or the program, or has anything good to say about what it's done, where it could go or what you hope might happen will receive the same bully mentality from the same 5 guys on this site. If you want to have a rational positive conversation about Iowa hoops, this isn't the place.

Oh this is definitely not news to me. @RobHowe how many reported tweets would it take to get these guys suspended or something? Lol.

Oh this is definitely not news to me. @RobHowe how many reported tweets would it take to get these guys suspended or something? Lol.

The thing is, I don't want em gone. They do keep ya honest. But it's the same old thing over and over and over. And if you state you were happy with Fran's results and the program trajectory leading up til this season, you basically get called names and told you don't know basketball. We know it's not good. I'd like to discuss how it can be better without every conversation turning into a " is Fran good or not bitch fight". Fran's not getting fired. We know this. Connor deserves a scholly, he's been committed to the university for years. I wish Fran would go after a grad transfer to help this team.

Where are you finding this PT at the 1 and 2? CM, JB, IM, CW, CJF, MD all play the 1 and 2. The 3 is the biggest void, but I don't mind not getting anyone there because it requires Fran to play a more guard dominated lineup which is what the basketball world is shifting too anyway.

Uh with a quality 1 and 2, the above would all be firmly planted on the bench with limited roles. See almost every other team in our conference and power 5 teams. Just bc Fran recruited them and they play those spots doesn't mean a serious upgrade in talent is not needed. Unless you're happy with years like the one we just had.

The thing is, I don't want em gone. They do keep ya honest. But it's the same old thing over and over and over. And if you state you were happy with Fran's results and the program trajectory leading up til this season, you basically get called names and told you don't know basketball. We know it's not good. I'd like to discuss how it can be better without every conversation turning into a " is Fran good or not bitch fight". Fran's not getting fired. We know this. Connor deserves a scholly, he's been committed to the university for years. I wish Fran would go after a grad transfer to help this team.

I have been saying if Fran could get a true SF that would be a big help. As of yesterday a guy he recruited decommited from Washington I would love if he went after.

https://247sports.com/player/ed-chang-87231

But I think banking it is also not a terrible decision either. CM deserves the scholly no matter what way you put it. If he doesn't get the scholly then somone else does and then there's a lot of people going to be in the rotation and then we're back to square 1 anyway.

Uh with a quality 1 and 2, the above would all be firmly planted on the bench with limited roles. See almost every other team in our conference and power 5 teams. Just bc Fran recruited them and they play those spots doesn't mean a serious upgrade in talent is not needed. Unless you're happy with years like the one we just had.

I'm honestly speechless at this post. Do you know the percentage of success rate from grad transfers? The good grad transfers don't come to Iowa and the other ones, like Mike Alstork from Illinois, go to places like Illinois and are close to invisible. If this grad transfer would put everyone on the bench there would be no team left.

I have been saying if Fran could get a true SF that would be a big help. As of yesterday a guy he recruited decommited from Washington I would love if he went after.

https://247sports.com/player/ed-chang-87231

But I think banking it is also not a terrible decision either. CM deserves the scholly no matter what way you put it. If he doesn't get the scholly then somone else does and then there's a lot of people going to be in the rotation and then we're back to square 1 anyway.

Isn’t Weiskamp the 3 of the future?

I don’t know anything about the recruit you’re referencing but we have seen Fran play a lot of guys like White, Uthoff and Nunge who were 4s at the 3 spot.

I think Weiskamp will be the 3 that’s more guard like that we need.

I believe in @IHawk94 & @InGoodCo's right to have low expectations. Please try to go easy on them.

My expectations are sky high for Iowa basketball - always will be. There's little I can do about it either way and I'm not a miserable person every second of every day that needs to talk down to other adult men on a website.

I'm honestly speechless at this post. Do you know the percentage of success rate from grad transfers? The good grad transfers don't come to Iowa and the other ones, like Mike Alstork from Illinois, go to places like Illinois and are close to invisible. If this grad transfer would put everyone on the bench there would be no team left.

Equally dumbfounded. You do know that all transfers are not grad transfers, right? You do know there is a school in even a shittier area in this state with less history than Iowa that built their program in a few short years on the backs of NON-grad transfers, right? This is akin to a gun control debate with a lefty who thinks an AR is an assault rifle. Seriously tired of opinions from people who don't know shit about the subject they're debating.

Isn’t Weiskamp the 3 of the future?

I don’t know anything about the recruit you’re referencing but we have seen Fran play a lot of guys like White, Uthoff and Nunge who were 4s at the 3 spot.

I think Weiskamp will be the 3 that’s more guard like that we need.

I do think Joe or even moving Isaiah to the 3, or even Dailey starting at the 3 would be a step up. Nunge should be playing the 4 for sure. Uthoff only played the 3 when White was around which happened to be until he was a senior unfortunately. I would just like Fran to go after him so PM can come in and play the 4 and we have a true 3 after Dailey and Moss graduate. He's also a good player which is a good reason to go after him. But i understand if he doesn't too.

In 21 seasons of coaching he has won 58% of his total games. Not low expectations, just patient and don't jump ship at the site of one bad season.

Exactly, Fran built up enough good will we me as a fan that I am willing to give him another season to get things figured out. I think that's ok. But the same posters are gonna call ya names, tell ya how dumb ya are and how you're what's wrong with Iowa basketball. At least it's entertaining.

Equally dumbfounded. You do know that all transfers are not grad transfers, right? You do know there is a school in even a shittier area in this state with less history than Iowa that built their program in a few short years on the backs of NON-grad transfers, right? This is akin to a gun control debate with a lefty who thinks an AR is an assault rifle. Seriously tired of opinions from people who don't know shit about the subject they're debating.

So you want to take a scholly from the '19 class to get a JUCO guard, who may or may not be better than what we already have?

Exactly, Fran built up enough good will we me as a fan that I am willing to give him another season to get things figured out. I think that's ok. But the same posters are gonna call ya names, tell ya how dumb ya are and how you're what's wrong with Iowa basketball. At least it's entertaining.

And I will stand firm in providing facts, while they stand on their opinion based posts that have no facts to back them up.

My expectations are sky high for Iowa basketball - always will be. There's little I can do about it either way and I'm not a miserable person every second of every day that needs to talk down to other adult men on a website.
I got your back, bruh! You don't need to pretend. Be who you are! If you're ok with making the NCAA tourney 3 times out of 8 years, there's no need to hide from it. Embrace it!

giphy.gif

So you want to take a scholly from the '19 class to get a JUCO guard, who may or may not be better than what we already have?

I don't how much you watched this year of us, as well as other teams, but our backcourt is awful. So just say f it and roll with the pieces that created the dumpster fire this year and pray a couple skinny Freshman, whose main competition the previous year were 1A Iowa high school kids, will push you up the conference rankings? And then pray the following year that Fran lands the unicorn that's escaped him for 8 years?