Connor McCaffery Receives One of Open Scholarships

Uthoff played away from the basket as a stretch 4 because of his 3 pt shooting (career 38%). PMac (26% in high school) can't shoot the 3 like Uthoff. And unless he drastically changes his shot, he never will.

He shot it at a 33% clip the season before. I would still categorize PMac as a stretch 4 because of his dribbling, passing, and playmaking ability outside of the paint. I think he can be somewhat of a back to the basket guy, but I think he's got a stretch 4 skill set. His 3pt% could improve to add a whole another level to his game. If he could hit those more consistently, his ceiling is sky high.

He shot it at a 33% clip the season before. I would still categorize PMac as a stretch 4 because of his dribbling, passing, and playmaking ability outside of the paint. I think he can be somewhat of a back to the basket guy, but I think he's got a stretch 4 skill set. His 3pt% could improve to add a whole another level to his game. If he could hit those more consistently, his ceiling is sky high.
Exactly. His 3 pt shooting fell off 7% when he became the focus of opposing high school defenses, after Connor and Lane graduated. He'll have division 1 players in his face every night in college. I don't expect his 3 pt shooting to ever get to 37%, which is what I consider the bare minimum for + results in college.

Exactly. His 3 pt shooting fell off 7% when he became the focus of opposing high school defenses, after Connor and Lane graduated. He'll have division 1 players in his face every night in college. I don't expect his 3 pt shooting to ever get to 37%, which is what I consider the bare minimum for + results in college.

37% is average for a guard, but for a stretch 4 guy I think if PMac can get to that 33% clip that would be a good number. 1/3 going in would be a doable result and would keep guys honest for the blow by. Yeah after Lane and CM graduated he was being guarded a lot harder, but I think on the Iowa team he'll obviously be surrounded by other good players and shooters that will help more than hurt. I would obviously love and think he can with some mechanic improvements get that up higher than 33% but that's what I would target for PMac to really make him a problem to go with some weight gain.

For comparison, i would compare Aaron White and PMac's skill set and White's 3pt% for his careers were 28, 22, 25, and then 36 his senior year which I think PMac can shoot better than those first 3 seasons for White.

37% is average for a guard, but for a stretch 4 guy I think if PMac can get to that 33% clip that would be a good number. 1/3 going in would be a doable result and would keep guys honest for the blow by. Yeah after Lane and CM graduated he was being guarded a lot harder, but I think on the Iowa team he'll obviously be surrounded by other good players and shooters that will help more than hurt. I would obviously love and think he can with some mechanic improvements get that up higher than 33% but that's what I would target for PMac to really make him a problem to go with some weight gain.
I don't see any difference between Guards/forwards when it comes to that 3pt shooting % minimum. I'd let PMac chuck 3 pt shots all day at a 33% clip. Then I'll abuse him in the post on the other end of the court.

For comparison, i would compare Aaron White and PMac's skill set and White's 3pt% for his careers were 28, 22, 25, and then 36 his senior year which I think PMac can shoot better than those first 3 seasons for White.
Aaron White was a lot more physical as a FR than PMac will be, as a FR. I didn't want AW shooting 3pt shots either.
edit: Unless he was wide open.

I don't see any difference between Guards/forwards when it comes to that 3pt shooting % minimum. I'd let PMac chuck 3 pt shots all day at a 33% clip. Then I'll abuse him in the post on the other end of the court.

But in today's game there's not many bruisers for 4 men anymore. The game is shifting to stretch 4's and 4 out offenses. A lot of 4 men in today's game are face up, stretch 4's who can shoot not as well as 3 unless that's what he primarily does, and can drive and kick just like guards can. They're gonna be slower than 3 men but able to take 4's off the dribble. I mean PMac plays the 4 at those top camps that he goes to all the time and does fine I think as he grows he'll continue to be able to do so. A lot of speculation, just was saying that i think his highest ceiling is at the 4 spot.

Aaron White was a lot more physical as a FR than PMac will be, as a FR. I didn't want AW shooting 3pt shots either.

Agree on this. But defenses respected him enough for him to get other parts of his game going. I think that's why he reminds me of PMac.

I said he hasnt had a season wuth a strong finish. His best fizzled when it counted and ended with a beat down

I'll give you Marble's senior year for a fizzle when it counted. (Play-in game year). 2 years ago they were playing their best at the end of the season. The couple years before, they peaked then had a rough patch but finished the seasons pretty strong. The round of 32 losses there wasn't much fight, but Nova ended up being the National champions that year, and Gonzaga ended up in either the final four or elite eight. Obviously would've liked better outcomes in those games.

Now that Sims is gone, PMac will be even more of the focus of opposing defenses, unless the kid from 2A Regis lights it up. I wonder what kind of shenanigans went on behind the scenes to get that kid.

But in today's game there's not many bruisers for 4 men anymore. The game is shifting to stretch 4's and 4 out offenses. A lot of 4 men in today's game are face up, stretch 4's who can shoot not as well as 3 unless that's what he primarily does, and can drive and kick just like guards can. They're gonna be slower than 3 men but able to take 4's off the dribble. I mean PMac plays the 4 at those top camps that he goes to all the time and does fine I think as he grows he'll continue to be able to do so. A lot of speculation, just was saying that i think his highest ceiling is at the 4 spot.
I get that but you still have to be physical enough to play at the other end.
This mindset is the reason why we had one of the most efficient offenses in the country, a favorable assist/TO ratio and still lost 19 games. PMac won't be defending other players with his age and size. He'll have to defend bigger, stronger, older players.

Now that Sims is gone, PMac will be even more of the focus of opposing defenses, unless the kid from 2A Regis lights it up. I wonder what kind of shenanigans went on behind the scenes to get that kid.

Apparently his family had financial issues. I do think that will help PMac. Allows him to play the 4 still, and the Brauns kid is pretty good. Already has Mid-major scholly's and I think depending on Foster, Iowa will offer sooner or later.

Regina? I don't know and I don't care. You're not doing your kid any favors by doing that. I think Joe Weiskamp staying at Muscatine helped his game far more than if he had transferred to Iowa City West of something like that.

I get that but you still have to be physical enough to play at the other end.
This mindset is the reason why we had one of the most efficient offenses in the country, a favorable assist/TO ratio and still lost 19 games. PMac won't be defending other players with his age and size. He'll have to defend bigger, stronger, older players.

I do understand that. But from video I've seen, no matter the size of his arms he does hang with whoever he has to guard in high school, aau, and at those camps he goes to. This Summer with D1 Minnesota will be a big teller of whether he can guard big guys cause I believe he will play primarily their biggest guy with Hurt playing the 4 man there.

Regina? I don't know and I don't care. You're not doing your kid any favors by doing that. I think Joe Weiskamp staying at Muscatine helped his game far more than if he had transferred to Iowa City West of something like that.
That's why I'm inclined to believe West pushed to get him. West lost a lot this year with really no underclassmen waiting.

That's a pretty good list, but I was more asking the poster because he insists that if Fran got a JuCo guard it would fix all problems and then proceeded to say I knew nothing about basketball. I was just going to provide info that would backup that i do have some sort of basketball IQ.

Bc that exactly what I said. I never even mentioned dipping into the JuCo ranks, but by all means keeping making shit up to feel like you know what you're talking about. Your previous comment was so ignorant it didn't warrant a response, though others called you on your bs. I said Fran's a shitty recruiter, and when you have the worst backcourt in the conference you better be targeting some some help via transfer instead of riding the same plane that crashed into the f'n mountain. None of Fran's recruits address our dismal backcourt, unless you really believe JW will play the 2 and will make any sort of real difference. You, on the other hand, thought no one like Iowa can land quality transfers, to which I gave you a perfect example less than 175 miles down the f'n road. Look you shine Fran's pole all you want and celebrate mediocrity. I'm not going to.

I do understand that. But from video I've seen, no matter the size of his arms he does hang with whoever he has to guard in high school, aau, and at those camps he goes to. This Summer with D1 Minnesota will be a big teller of whether he can guard big guys cause I believe he will play primarily their biggest guy with Hurt playing the 4 man there.
I don't know anything about that Minnesota team, so I can't say one way or the other. I will be at 2 AAU events in Minneapolis over the next few weeks, so maybe I'll catch them at one of those events.
I do know that he'll have to play physical defense in the Big Ten, no matter how long his arms are.

Bc that exactly what I said. I never even mentioned dipping into the JuCo ranks, but by all means keeping making shit up to feel like you know what you're talking about. Your previous comment was so ignorant it didn't warrant a response, though others called you o not your bs. I said Fran's a shitty recruiter, and when you have the worst backcourt in the conference you better be targeting some some help via transfer instead of riding the same plane that crashed into the f'n mountain. None of Fran's recruits address our dismal backcourt, unless you really believe JW will play the 2 and will make any sort of real difference. You, on the other hand, thought no one like Iowa can land quality transfers, to which I gave you a perfect example less than 175 miles down the f'n road. Look you shine Fran's pole all you want and celebrate mediocrity. I'm not going to.

Who down the road has signed untroubled, good transfers? Royce White? yeah he was kicked off the team, as were the other 4-5 other players that transferred to Iowa State. A transfer like those still don't help us for next year. All of those transfers had to sit out a year and wouldn't be able to play till the '19-'20 season. UNI this year is the 1st known Iowa team to have a graduate transfer come in. Iowa State never had a graduate transfer, and Iowa has tried the transfer route, but it hasn't worked. That backcourt that was so terrible averaged 24 PPG last season and that's only 2 guys. Idk what to expect from the incoming freshman yet, because they haven't even stepped foot on campus, but I do know that adding 3 guards to an 3 deep guard situation from last year is a plus already. Rotating 5-6 guards instead of 3 is going to help already.