Connor McCaffery Receives One of Open Scholarships

Pigmentation? It would have to do with his mentor/coach. Generally speaking a player as bad fundamentally at shooting isn't going to be fundamentally strong at other aspects.

He has good court awareness, good passing, and length.

Seriously asking, what about CM's shooting mechanics is fundamentally "off" in your mind?

CM's shot isn't that bad, but it is mostly a set shot as is PM's. PM shoots from his chest unless he's near the basket.

I do agree with that. PM shoots from a lower point, that's easily fixable, but as long as he's making them (he didn't in HS last season very often) then i don't care how it goes in. CM's shooting fundamentals are actually pretty good, it is a set shot and not necessarily a jump shot like like the other players on the roster. But his release point is at his forehead (which is a good release point). He's not a run off screens type of guy but Iowa doesn't need that, they have plenty of those. I think it's way off base to say because CM's shooting fundamentals are off (they're not), then his defense is going to be off too. Pretty unfair assumption. I know it wasn't you, but the other poster who said that. I believe CM shouldn't play PG less than 20 mpg this upcoming season and that he will help the team more than others believe.

No, that's not what I said, or at least meant. Good defenders are usually good at fundamentals (OK Kevin Boyle wasn't). I didn't say he wasn't a decent shooter. His fundamentals are terrible at shooting. Generally if your shooting fundamentals aren't good at shooting they aren't going to be good in other areas. Shooting is a lot of mental.

Why would anyone expect Fran's son to be fundamentally sound at Defense?

Shooting fundamentals a lot of times are dictated by body type, strength of arms and shoulders, how long your arms are, and how one's brain attempts to use those things in the best functional and comfortable way to shoot a basketball. Your shooting form is more dependent on these characteristics than your defensive form is dependent on physical characteristics. Defensive success and form is more based on fundamentals such as footwork, when to close, hand position, etc. Both shooting success and defensive success are affected by fundamentals, but defensive fundamentals are more important to success in that area than shooting fundamentals are in its area.

Seriously asking, what about CM's shooting mechanics is fundamentally "off" in your mind?

Mostly he's inconsistent in the form. He often has way too low on the release point which won't work well in the Big. He's not as bad about it as his brother. He does square up nicely. He also keeps his head up on the dribble which is good.

upload_2018-4-13_10-18-55.jpegupload_2018-4-13_10-24-58.png

I would expect better out of a son of a Big Coach.

J Bo sometimes lowers his shot to get it off, I will grant you that, but JBo is very fundamentally sound at it.

upload_2018-4-13_10-29-40.png

Patrick, had a harder time getting a still, but he pushes it forward more than Conner
upload_2018-4-13_10-35-30.png

Joe is the best. There is nothing not to like about Joe
upload_2018-4-13_10-41-45.png

The Mac boys have very good court awareness and passing.

Shooting fundamentals a lot of times are dictated by body type, strength of arms and shoulders, how long your arms are, and how one's brain attempts to use those things in the best functional and comfortable way to shoot a basketball. Your shooting form is more dependent on these characteristics than your defensive form is dependent on physical characteristics. Defensive success and form is more based on fundamentals such as footwork, when to close, hand position, etc. Both shooting success and defensive success are affected by fundamentals, but defensive fundamentals are more important to success in that area than shooting fundamentals are in its area.

O and D are both based on hands and footwork. People like or don't like Fran. That makes no difference to me. What does is that a Big Coach hasn't properly taught his kids who he is bringing in on scholarship don't have proper shooting fundamentals. His teams lack fundamentals. I also don't buy that the O is good. The 1/2 court is not good.

Last edited:
Mostly he's inconsistent in the form. He often has way too low on the release point which won't work well in the Big. He's not as bad about it as his brother. He does square up nicely. He also keeps his head up on the dribble which is good.

View attachment 3255View attachment 3256

I would expect better out of a son of a Big Coach.

J Bo sometimes lowers his shot to get it off, I will grant you that, but JBo is very fundamentally sound at it.

View attachment 3257

Patrick, had a harder time getting a still, but he pushes it forward more than Conner
View attachment 3258

Joe is the best. There is nothing not to like about Joe
View attachment 3259

The Mac boys have very good court awareness and passing.

Connor's release point is at his forehead, and that's not a bad release point for a 6'5 PG. He's gonna have 2-3 inches on anyone that guards him. Not to mention the release point being the forehead isn't uncommon, it's when it gets lower than that. CM's biggest thing for me is the mid range game. You don't see it often on HS tapes. Think it would open his game a lot of he could develop a pull-up jumper.

JB has a really nice jump shot and it goes in so useless time for me to dissect it.

PM has some kinks to work out for sure. I think with added strength you can fix the release point easily. It would also allow him to grow in the mid range game if he did so. To me, strength is the reason he pushes it so much.

JW's shot is just like I said about JB's. Beautiful.

One thing I will note is that besides the last year and probably a little bit early on their childhood, Fran probably didn't coach his kids like a normal dad does. He has a team to worry about their jumpshots and probably entrusted other good coaches to develop their games. Iowa City West coach, and the Barnstormers (Now D1 Minnesota) coaches are the ones who are developing the McCaffery boys and their shots.
Also another note, growing up playing basketball at all levels besides pro ball, most school coaches hate trying to tweak a players shot. They say to do whatever is comfortable and what they've been doing their entire life. Don't get me wrong, for PM, Fran should work on that when he comes to Iowa, but I have no problem with CM's. He shot it at a small sample of 2 for 4 at 50% last year.

Connor's release point is at his forehead, and that's not a bad release point for a 6'5 PG. He's gonna have 2-3 inches on anyone that guards him. Not to mention the release point being the forehead isn't uncommon, it's when it gets lower than that. CM's biggest thing for me is the mid range game. You don't see it often on HS tapes. Think it would open his game a lot of he could develop a pull-up jumper.

JB has a really nice jump shot and it goes in so useless time for me to dissect it.

PM has some kinks to work out for sure. I think with added strength you can fix the release point easily. It would also allow him to grow in the mid range game if he did so. To me, strength is the reason he pushes it so much.

JW's shot is just like I said about JB's. Beautiful.

One thing I will note is that besides the last year and probably a little bit early on their childhood, Fran probably didn't coach his kids like a normal dad does. He has a team to worry about their jumpshots and probably entrusted other good coaches to develop their games. Iowa City West coach, and the Barnstormers (Now D1 Minnesota) coaches are the ones who are developing the McCaffery boys and their shots.
Also another note, growing up playing basketball at all levels besides pro ball, most school coaches hate trying to tweak a players shot. They say to do whatever is comfortable and what they've been doing their entire life. Don't get me wrong, for PM, Fran should work on that when he comes to Iowa, but I have no problem with CM's. He shot it at a small sample of 2 for 4 at 50% last year.

Not going to disagree with most. CM's isn't terrible, (well actually it is) but a slow guy needs all the help he can get and he doesn't have a quick release. I would prefer more consistency on the shooting form which he doesn't have. Also, PM and CM have very limited video. You can find Joe doing a lot of things. Not these guys. The only way to really know is to see a game first hand or a wide screen video of a full game.

Fran didn't coach them much, but I did once have a Big Asst coach asst me with a team. He took the time to do it. This guy was a stellar shooter and reminds me a lot of CM.

I still would expect more. There are so many aspects of Iowa's game that makes me question FM and fundamentals....how much he knows...but more likely what the heck do they do in practice.

Last edited:
Not going to disagree with most. CM's isn't terrible, but a slow guy needs all the help he can get and he doesn't have a quick release. I would prefer more consistency on the shooting form which he doesn't have. Also, PM and CM have very limited video. You can find Joe doing a lot of things. Not these guys. The only way to really know is to see a game first hand or a wide screen video of a full game.

Fran didn't coach them much, but I did once have a Big Asst coach asst me with a team. He took the time to do it. This guy was a stellar shooter and reminds me a lot of CM.

I still would expect more. There are so many aspects of Iowa's game that makes me question FM and fundamentals....how much he knows...but more likely what the heck do they do in practice.

I think there's a lot of neigh-sayers out here that think they're D-1 coaches and think Iowa's basketball program has always been this almighty program. Fran McCaffery has had two losing seasons and those two season are the only seasons he has had under 18 wins. I understand NCAA tournaments are a different story, and those are the expectation at the end of the day. There were also a couple seasons where Iowa undoubtedly should've been in the tournament (i.e. 2 years ago) with these "same players" besides Peter Jok (I know that's a big loss, not arguing that at all). I trust Fran McCaffery with this basketball program and everybody who wants to sit behind a keyboard on here, twitter, facebook, other message boards, etc. and criticize everything that he does and feels is best for the program is really making this fan base look like the worst and ugliest fanbase I've ever seen. For anyone who says, "oh Fran's such a whimp when Dochterman asked him about the hot seat", I fully disagree, and think you're only looking at the NCAA tournament number and not the all the things he has done for this program.

https://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-top-50-college-basketball-coaches-2015-16

#39th best coach ('15-'16) news article but just would like to put into perspective how respected he is outside of this little community who thinks they're D-1 head coaches.

That is all. Off my soap box.

I think there's a lot of neigh-sayers out here that think they're D-1 coaches and think Iowa's basketball program has always been this almighty program. Fran McCaffery has had two losing seasons and those two season are the only seasons he has had under 18 wins. I understand NCAA tournaments are a different story, and those are the expectation at the end of the day. There were also a couple seasons where Iowa undoubtedly should've been in the tournament (i.e. 2 years ago) with these "same players" besides Peter Jok (I know that's a big loss, not arguing that at all). I trust Fran McCaffery with this basketball program and everybody who wants to sit behind a keyboard on here, twitter, facebook, other message boards, etc. and criticize everything that he does and feels is best for the program is really making this fan base look like the worst and ugliest fanbase I've ever seen. For anyone who says, "oh Fran's such a whimp when Dochterman asked him about the hot seat", I fully disagree, and think you're only looking at the NCAA tournament number and not the all the things he has done for this program.

https://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-top-50-college-basketball-coaches-2015-16

#39th best coach ('15-'16) news article but just would like to put into perspective how respected he is outside of this little community who thinks they're D-1 head coaches.

giphy.gif

You are entitled to your opinion. You read a lot into things. If you "trust" Fran, that is your choice. I want someone who can teach fundamentals, be competitive, have a classy demeanor and make us happy they are the coach. Davis, Olson, Fry all fit that mold. Fran does not. My bar isn't that low.

You are entitled to your opinion. You read a lot into things. If you "trust" Fran, that is your choice. I want someone who can teach fundamentals, be competitive, have a classy demeanor and make us happy they are the coach. Davis, Olson, Fry all fit that mold. Fran does not. My bar isn't that low.

Be competitive? Other than this year and his first year when has Iowa not been competitive?

You missed the other parts. Also, by competitive, I'd like to see a season where there is a strong finish and not a total beat down. Fran hasn't done that yet.

It is also very funny how Fran sticking up for his players was never an issue before the last season or two. I agree, for example, the Wisconsin game was definitely over the top and there are instances where he has to keep it under control. To say he's not a classy is a little extreme to me. The man will go to battle for his guys, and as far as I've seen his guys will go to battle for him. I would consider that classy. As far as fundamentals go, I'm not sure what to say about that because I'm not in practice to see what they do or don't do. I do know with the exception of a couple players that a good majority of the players that have come to Iowa have improved from their freshman to senior year.

It is also very funny how Fran sticking up for his players was never an issue before the last season or two. I agree, for example, the Wisconsin game was definitely over the top and there are instances where he has to keep it under control. To say he's not a classy is a little extreme to me. The man will go to battle for his guys, and as far as I've seen his guys will go to battle for him. I would consider that classy. As far as fundamentals go, I'm not sure what to say about that because I'm not in practice to see what they do or don't do. I do know with the exception of a couple players that a good majority of the players that have come to Iowa have improved from their freshman to senior year.

Have my back? I"d be afraid to turn my back.

Have my back? I"d be afraid to turn my back.

Obviously I have no facts, but my guess is if we ran a poll of all the players that have played for Fran at Iowa whether they ever felt like they would be physically harmed by him the poll would end with a lot of no's and very few yes'.

Iowa should have undoubtedly been in the dance Jok’s Senior year?

No chance. Iowa ranked 71st in KenPom that year. The only reason they were in the conversation was because they won at UW when UW was playing their worst ball of the year. That Iowa team had a chance to play their way into the tourney in the B1G tournament, they got the doors blown off of them by a mediocre Indiana team.

Iowa should have undoubtedly been in the dance Jok’s Senior year?

No chance. Iowa ranked 71st in KenPom that year. The only reason they were in the conversation was because they won at UW when UW was playing their worst ball of the year. That Iowa team had a chance to play their way into the tourney in the B1G tournament, they got the doors blown off of them by a mediocre Indiana team.

No doubt about that, but there was a game in Minnesota that should've been a win if the refs grant a timeout in regulation. Would've up'ed RPI because Minnesota was a good team that year. Nebraska went to like 3 OT's and if I remember right had a rob job from the refs that game as well. that takes you to a 21 game winning season. With the loss to Nebraska that year it would've lowered the RPI and if you get that win it doesn't hurt the team. Obviously hypothetical. But Michigan State was another sketchy game that year as well.