Congrats to Steven Alford

It appears to me that most Iowa fans get much more pleasure out of a New Mexico loss than an Iowa win.

That's pretty crazy.

Go Hawks!

GlidingHawk

Hey how did that prediction turn out on the lobo board. Evidently the arrogance of their coach and team haven't gone unnoticed over there. Huskies ripping into them pretty bad over there.

Hey how did that prediction turn out on the lobo board. Evidently the arrogance of their coach and team haven't gone unnoticed over there. Huskies ripping into them pretty bad over there.

The biggest ripping was done on the court. UNM got it handed to them.

But they will be better next year.

GlidingHawk

How will they be better? Martinez will be gone, Hobson might not even be back.

Hobson will be back, with Gary running the show as a senior PG. They also have Drew Gordon (UCLA transfer) coming in, along with a 6'11" 4-star center, Alex Kirk. They also have a couple of 3-star athletes coming in.

They will be in a lot better shape than the Iowa Hawkeyes will be.

GlidingHawk

But really your post just is a bunch of jealousy.

Really? Jealousy?

Yeah, I'm jealous that Iowa didn't win 30 games and go into the Tourney as a #3 seed and get beat by 18.

:rolleyes:

Maybe next you'll accuse me of being jealous of Alford's hair, too.

I will simply say that regular season W-L record aside, Alford is essentially emulating what he did at Iowa his first 4 years -- NIT 1st Rd, NIT 2nd Rd, NCAA 2nd Rd.

That's exactly what his New Mexico post-season has been in 3 years. At one point or another, if he doesn't make significant strides in post-season play, I believe even the New Mexico fan base will become disgruntled no matter how many regular season wins he gets.

I personally would rather my hopes and dreams come crashing down in the NCAA tourney than over them crashing down 4 months ago at the beginning of the season.

I personally would rather my hopes and dreams come crashing down in the NCAA tourney than over them crashing down 4 months ago at the beginning of the season.
You feel that way now of course. We've had a rock-bottom stretch w/ Lickliter. Your post definitively underscores a seismic shift in expectation in our Men's BB program.

Alford was given an ultimatum by Gary Barta because he was not doing enough in post-season play. Winning in the NCAA Tournament was our EXPECTATION only a few years ago. Now some would shine Stevie's knob to bow out in the first round again.

No thanks to Alford. It was the right move for him to leave, unfortunately, we did NOT make the right move in hiring TL. Hindsight now, but I won't lower my expectations for the BB program.

You feel that way now of course. We've had a rock-bottom stretch w/ Lickliter. Your post definitively underscores a seismic shift in expectation in our Men's BB program.

Alford was given an ultimatum by Gary Barta because he was not doing enough in post-season play. Winning in the NCAA Tournament was our EXPECTATION only a few years ago. Now some would shine Stevie's knob to bow out in the first round again.

No thanks to Alford. It was the right move for him to leave, unfortunately, we did NOT make the right move in hiring TL. Hindsight now, but I won't lower my expectations for the BB program.

right. Barta gave him a challenge, and rather than taking that challenge, he ran to N.Mexico...his 500 win season against pathetic teams will be forgotten now that his team got knocked out of the NCAAs by a Wash. team that plays in a real conference.

I said it 4 years ago and I will say it again today. Alford is growing as a coach. Seasons like this will only help him on the recruiting front. I think it's a matter of time before SA makes a run in the tournament.

Iowa hired Alford too early in his career and Iowa fans (IMHO) grew too restless with him too soon. I think it's going to work best for both parties in the long run because Alford was a lightning rod from day one. But in terms of W's and L's Alford's best days are and were ahead of him.

Ditto to Sylvanthalas! Alford was crap when he came in and was a bigger D _ _ _ going out. Thank God that cancerous SOB is out. New Mexico will experience what Iowa did except he will mount up more wins playing in the MWC than in the Big 10 and those fools in NM will think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I could really care less what Alford does or doesn't do at this point, but the following is from the New York Times sports blog, the Quad:

"In his bright red sport coat, New Mexico Coach Steve Alford looks as if he just arrived from a shift at Red Lobster. — Billy Witz"

No comment.

New Mexico is just a middle of the pack team in the Big 10 . Yesterday was no upset in my book ; Washington is hands down the better team . If they played again today I think the outcome would be very much the same.

I was actually impressed with what SA accomplished this year. The bitter part of me can't understand where his JR Angle, Seth Gorney, Brody Boyd-like recruits are on that NM team because he has himself some players now. I guess those $,000 we paid him over the years were good educational investment $'s for someone else.

He did match his NCAA win total (all of 1) from Iowa now at New Mexico. I wonder when Craig Neal will get his chance as a head coach, then it'll be reeeally interesting how SA performs.

This is the smartest thing I have read in a long time. If Neal left I wonder if Alford my actually lose his hair.

"In his bright red sport coat, New Mexico Coach Steve Alford looks as if he just arrived from a shift at Red Lobster. — Billy Witz"

Too funny.. LOL.

Seriously though, I don't care what Alford does at UNM or anywhere else, same as how I stopped caring what Lickliter did at Butler. It's what coaches do at IOWA that counts, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm moving on from the whole Alford topic.

I could really care less what Alford does or doesn't do at this point, but the following is from the New York Times sports blog, the Quad:

HA! That's a good one. I bet Tanya can get down on some cheddar bay biscuits.

Inappropriate? Absolutely.

Jealous much?

Cause that is what you post sounds like...either that or you need to let it go and grow up....right now the ONLY reason Iowa BB is where it is lays on its former coach.

But really your post just is a bunch of jealousy.

That's pretty foolish to think it's ALL on Lickliter. Some of it is, sure. But Alford had a hand in it, and Bowlsby had a big hand in it. We chose 25 years ago to not invest in the basketball program, and as a result our facilities have gone from the best in the Big Ten to near the bottom. Alford had it right when he left: we're a football school. Or at least we rationed the money like we are. We're finally putting some money back into the program, but it's more than a little late at this point.

And I was happy to see UNM lose. I "became a fan" of the Lobos on Facebook because my best friend is playing football there, and they're fans think Alford is God or something because he won 30 games. Who would have guessed that he would do exactly what he did at Iowa in the Big Dance? So far they beat three teams that advanced past the first round (BYU, Texas A&M, Cal), and one of those teams was knocked out in the second. The rest? A bunch of completely meaningless wins.

Latest posts