Confirmed: Rhabdomyolysis

:D No conspiracy theory here. I don't think a group of guys using perfectly legal supplements without properly hydrating is outlandish. Do you?

Shada was referring to tiberus, not you. Your post was very logical, and likely what actually happened.

RE: the grueling workouts...its first week back after Christmas break last week. It's college football. This ain't intramurals.

So then, why don't more schools report 12 players hospitalized since this is obviously the norm?

I'm guessing that there's a fairly logical explanation for what's happened but that doesn't make your post any less stupid.

Talk about something snowballing. I don't find it THAT surprising. If these athletes were young and weren't in shape, it would be VERY possible that you would experience something like this. I had a buddy who peed brown after a half marathon. Puke buckets happen in high school. It's more about being sanitary than barbaric.

Anybody who works out knows that 100 squats would be crazy hard. Add that to some hard core conditioning and you'd increase your chances of hospitalization. How many of those 12 are "real" cases. They may have had similar symptoms and decided to all go together. Way too much speculation......and I'm participating too.

Hey message board detectives. We've got 12 football players we know have a certain illness. We know all 12 were involved in the some grueling workouts this very week. We know grueling workouts have been in the past been shown to cause said illness.

With all that, what would the simplest explanation for these hospitalizations be?

Hey message board detectives. We've got 12 football players we know have a certain illness. We know all 12 were involved in the some grueling workouts this very week. We know grueling workouts have been in the past been shown to cause said illness.

With all that, what would the simplest explanation for these hospitalizations be?

you answered it......difficult workout. My guess is that as soon as they saw brown urine, they were required to visit the hospital. My guess is that more times than not, players either don't take that step, or trainers flood them with fluids and it goes away.

I guess I could buy the aspirin or supplement theory as well, as that's something several players might share -- food being another. There's too many of them for it to be anything else that makes sense.

In the past 10 years how many Iowa football players have been hospitalized for the same condition?

I'm not saying anything untoward was going on I just think that it is unlikely in the extreme that this is a simple case of 'overdoing it'. Most likely a combination of events.

Sooo...we meet again! I haven't seen you since you had that hottie spike my drink in Mexico back in '96! By the way, nice touch letting me wake up in a bath tub full of ice only to see a smiling toy penguin holding a sign that read "Get to a hospital RAPIDO, Senor Shane de Marshalltown!"...:mad:

You gotta stop going to the north pole. If you have to stay out of the bars. For some reason these penguins cant stay away from you.

I work in medicine as well. Something about this doesn't ring true to me either. My very first thought was creatine overload with mega workouts but even then it seems to be a stretch...rhabdo in 12 guys? Nah. Some part of this puzzle is missing.

I work in medicine as well. Something about this doesn't ring true to me either. My very first thought was creatine overload with mega workouts but even then it seems to be a stretch...rhabdo in 12 guys? Nah. Some part of this puzzle is missing.

you dont know this. maybe 11 of them are in there for precautionary reasons?

This strikes me as a flip response here, Jon. I'm surprised and a bit disappointed.

If one or two players has trouble after a tough workout after Christmas break, maybe you chalk it up to that. But 12? Something's not adding up here.Who was responsible for this workout? Who was supervising? Were (are) any of the players using steroids, growth-promoting hormones, nutritional supplements? Or worse?

I'm sure the university will investigative and it wouldn't surprise me if somebody's head rolls. Maybe several. And it may not necessarily be in the athletic department.

As another poster said, I have never heard of 12 college athletes winding up in the hospital at the same time. Never. Kidney issues are serious stuff.

I think you do a disservice to the athletes and the whole situation by simply suggesting this is the result of a hard workout after Christmas break.
Lighten up, Francis.

RE: the grueling workouts...its first week back after Christmas break last week. It's college football. This ain't intramurals.

Congratulations Jon, you hit the nail right on the head.
The syndrome, rhabdomyolysis, often occurs when athletes who have not been training have a sudden increase in the intensity of their workouts, like a return to practice after a summer break, said Dr. Rupert P. Galvez, a sports medicine doctor who wrote a 2008 article about the syndrome.​
"It may tend to happen more toward the beginning of the season, as they’re starting up their preconditioning training," Galvez said.​

I work in the kidney business....have for 18 years. I have NEVER seen Rhabdo for over-exertion...EVER.. 99..9 of the cases I have seen have been related to that statin drugs. (cholesterol medicines)

However I do not work with athletes and I am FULLY aware of the fact that rhabdo can happen from severe exertion...however rare it is I am stunned that it happened to 12 Iowa Players.

With that in MInd evidently It is very possible that this may indeed be the case as dehydration dramatically increases the chance.

I'm not in the kidney business...however I own a brain, fingers and the ability to look things up. This is NOT uncommon. According to several doctors who have gone, the ONLY drug that could reasonably be associated with the condition is Meth (don't think many elite athletes are dumb enough to be doing meth). And this is NOT uncommon:

It happened to 24 Oregon high school players back in 2003 http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/24/sports/24tissue.html

And they quote a few other similar situations, one in 2008 involving 7 swimmers, and the other a case involving 119 high school students in Taiwan in 2005 (they had to do 120 push-ups in 5 min).

You guys are a piece of work...here goes again:

I'm not in the medical business...however I own a brain, fingers and the ability to look things up. This is NOT uncommon. According to several doctors who have gone, the ONLY drug that could reasonably be associated with the condition is Meth (don't think many elite athletes are dumb enough to be doing meth). And this is NOT uncommon:

It happened to 24 Oregon high school players back in 2003 http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/24/sports/24tissue.html

And they quote a few other similar situations, one in 2008 involving 7 swimmers, and the other a case involving 119 high school students in Taiwan in 2005 (they had to do 120 push-ups in 5 min).

You guys are a piece of work...here goes again:

I'm not in the medical business...however I own a brain, fingers and the ability to look things up. This is NOT uncommon. According to several doctors who have gone, the ONLY drug that could reasonably be associated with the condition is Meth (don't think many elite athletes are dumb enough to be doing meth). And this is NOT uncommon:

Sorry. Epic fail on my part. I assumed several years of medical training trumped your ability to google search something. My bad.

Latest posts