Conference Expansion

I think the regional rivalries and divisions would make more sense.

However, if you're believing everything this bluevod dude says, he already said that 2 divisions, 10 teams has been the B1G's goal all along.

Also, if 6 ACC teams were involved in something this big, and it also included the implosion of the ACC, I'd expect this information to be leaked out by more people (and more credible people) than a random michigan twitter user.

Also, if 6 ACC teams were involved in something this big, and it also included the implosion of the ACC, I'd expect this information to be leaked out by more people (and more credible people) than a random michigan twitter user.

I've heard that Alabama is going to fire Saban. The Crimson Tide faithful are upset that he may tie or break the Bear's record for national championships. That would be blasphemy.

I think all these rumors are driven more by off season boredom than real expansion talk. Among the power 5 the only place there is real talk of expansion is in the Big Twelve and that is being driven by less than a handful of specific people. The Big Twelve will probably be placated for now with a conference championship game. The only team that seems a good fit for expansion is the University of Houston, and for now Houston doesn't want to go. Cincinnati is a geographical outlier in a conference centered around the states of Texas & Oklahoma. Tulsa & Memphis would threaten to dilute strength of schedule in a conference already diluted by Iowa State and Kansas. The next point of contention that needs to be addressed in the Big Twelve is the Long Horn Network. It stands as a point of contention within the Big Twelve and stands as an impediment to a conference affiliated TV network.

I think all these rumors are driven more by off season boredom than real expansion talk. Among the power 5 the only place there is real talk of expansion is in the Big Twelve and that is being driven by less than a handful of specific people. The Big Twelve will probably be placated for now with a conference championship game. The only team that seems a good fit for expansion is the University of Houston, and for now Houston doesn't want to go. Cincinnati is a geographical outlier in a conference centered around the states of Texas & Oklahoma. Tulsa & Memphis would threaten to dilute strength of schedule in a conference already diluted by Iowa State and Kansas. The next point of contention that needs to be addressed in the Big Twelve is the Long Horn Network. It stands as a point of contention within the Big Twelve and stands as an impediment to a conference affiliated TV network.

The Big12 won't do anything, and if they do it won't mean anything. They are soooo far behind in the arms race (conference expansion) that it is funny to watch them flail about.

The B1G, SEC and Pac12 are all still talking/thinking expansion. The B1G and SEC didn't go to 14 teams to stop at 14 teams. The end game has always been 16, 18 or 20 teams. They will get there, it is just a matter of time, and you can bet they are still planning and talking about it currently.

The B1G TV rights package is up for negotiation and/or re-negotiation after the 2016-17 season so the expansion talk is definitely real.

The B1G TV rights package is up for negotiation and/or re-negotiation after the 2016-17 season so the expansion talk is definitely real.

Yep, you really gotta have your head in the sand if you think Delany is just sitting back and doing nothing.

Any expansion will occur before the next media contracts. If it doesn't happen then, expansion will not occur until near the end of the next media contracts. The addition of Maryland & Rutgers, plus going to nine conference games, was designed entirely for negotiation leverage for the TV contracts that expire after this coming season. The next TV contracts will be mind-boggling. They may be more than double what any other conference receives annually.

Yep, you really gotta have your head in the sand if you think Delany is just sitting back and doing nothing.

I really believe there are things being talked about, but I'm pretty sure the ACC has a $50,000,000 buyout per team. I'm not sure all 6 ACC teams would be willing to shell out $50M a piece just to join the Big Ten.

I really believe there are things being talked about, but I'm pretty sure the ACC has a $50,000,000 buyout per team. I'm not sure all 6 ACC teams would be willing to shell out $50M a piece just to join the Big Ten.
It sounds like there Grant of Rights deal may be in trouble and if multiple schools leave there is nothing to buy out. Anyway I don't know what's real and what's not but here are the 6 being rumored: ND, VA, UNC, Duke, GT, and Florida State.

It sounds like there Grant of Rights deal may be in trouble and if multiple schools leave there is nothing to buy out. Anyway I don't know what's real and what's not but here are the 6 being rumored: ND, VA, UNC, Duke, GT, and Florida State.

For various reasons, Duke & Florida State will not be admitted to the B1G.

According to BlueVod, the big ten is gonna add; Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, FSU, and Notre Dame. It all supposed to happen in the next couple months.

And BlueVod has such a track record of predicting how the college football landscape is going to look.

So who is BlueVod again?

Did you really just type Houston doesn't want to go? If that wasn't a typo you obviously have no knowledge on expansion. Houston would be in the Big 12 tomorrow if they could.

So where is the ceiling on the TV football deals. ESPN has been losing subscribers since 2013. The SEC and Big Ten networks have been very successful but their profits don't add up to the losses at ESPN. The picture at Fox Sports seems to be mixed. The SEC, Big Ten, and ACC have been racking in the money. Big twelve revenue is still going up. The Pac 10 is falling behind a bit. At the other end of things Conference USA will fall significantly short of expectations and the Sun Belt isn't going to generate much interest.

I just love that there are no mentions of the Clowns to the BIG10. May they rot in hell in the Big 12 as it continues to get poached by other conferences. ISU can eventually go to the MAC.

Can we please quit kicking the dog about expansion for sets rather then teams? Go after Kansas State and Pitt. They are both strong in both FB and BB so they would make good games for TV. Sure we can add Kansas or G Tech, but seriously how far down to you want to dilute the brand? Do we want to be one of the top Conferences or do we want to be the American Conference? Or how about the MAC? You want tvs? Then get some good games rather then Rutgers vrs Nebraska in basketball on Sunday CBS. Or maybe we can have Rutgers vrs Directional Michigan team on the BIG network as the game of the week. You want to get more tvs, get the BIG out of the MAC preseason bowl or N Texas and put some challenges before them.

Latest posts