Conference Expansion

I don't see Georgia Tech as a true candidate. They would be an extreme geographic outlier, I don't see them wanting to join. The BTN would really really really struggle to get carriage in Atlanta. There just aren't enough Tech fans, and the SEC fans would despise their cable carriers for adding the BTN.

Rutgers and Maryland were contiguous state flagships in large states without a true second state school. Hopkins added to the penumbra affect on DC. Tech is easily the little brother. Tech doesn't fit the institutional profile that Delany and the B1G are looking for, despite the strong academics.

I could see Kansas/OU, but that is a stretch. Oklahoma is small, but there is a large OU fanbase in Dallas that could possibly get BTN carriage there. At least KU/OU bring eyeballs to their games, as they are big names in hoops and football. BTN carraige in Kansas and Oklahoma is a slam dunk, and their brands help the B1G national package. Academics are weak.

VA/UNC are the type of institutions that the B1G desires, but I don't see them being pried away from the ACC. Perhaps as the ACC/B1G monetary differences grow in the future.

I see the Hopkins lacrosse and ND hockey affiliate additions as solidifying the 14-team conference, rather than signaling additional expansion.

I don't see Georgia Tech as a true candidate. They would be an extreme geographic outlier, I don't see them wanting to join. The BTN would really really really struggle to get carriage in Atlanta. There just aren't enough Tech fans, and the SEC fans would despise their cable carriers for adding the BTN.

Rutgers and Maryland were contiguous state flagships in large states without a true second state school. Hopkins added to the penumbra affect on DC. Tech is easily the little brother. Tech doesn't fit the institutional profile that Delany and the B1G are looking for, despite the strong academics.

I could see Kansas/OU, but that is a stretch. Oklahoma is small, but there is a large OU fanbase in Dallas that could possibly get BTN carriage there. At least KU/OU bring eyeballs to their games, as they are big names in hoops and football. BTN carraige in Kansas and Oklahoma is a slam dunk, and their brands help the B1G national package. Academics are weak.

VA/UNC are the type of institutions that the B1G desires, but I don't see them being pried away from the ACC. Perhaps as the ACC/B1G monetary differences grow in the future.

I see the Hopkins lacrosse and ND hockey affiliate additions as solidifying the 14-team conference, rather than signaling additional expansion.

Forget about Kansas. Basketball doesn't even enter into the conversation. It's all about increasing the B1G's footprint & TVs. The B1G is not going to expand to reduce the revenue at existing schools. Virginia & North Carolina aren't going to increase revenue. Plus, with Carolina's academic fraud scandal, there is no way the presidents are going to admit the Tar Heels. Unless expansion includes Georgia Tech, Notre Dame and/or Texas, expansion won't happen. Think beyond the lines & outside the box. The Longhorn network is a failure & the ACC can't even get enough money to start a network. Oklahoma City is the largest market in Oklahoma. It is smaller than the Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek market.

Forget about Kansas. Basketball doesn't even enter into the conversation. It's all about increasing the B1G's footprint & TVs. The B1G is not going to expand to reduce the revenue at existing schools. Virginia & North Carolina aren't going to increase revenue. Plus, with Carolina's academic fraud scandal, there is no way the presidents are going to admit the Tar Heels. Unless expansion includes Georgia Tech, Notre Dame and/or Texas, expansion won't happen. Think beyond the lines & outside the box. The Longhorn network is a failure & the ACC can't even get enough money to start a network. Oklahoma City is the largest market in Oklahoma. It is smaller than the Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek market.

ND and Texas aren't coming. So, I guess we shouldn't even discuss expansion.

If it was ONLY about footprint and TVs, then Nebraska never would have been added.

I think KU/OU is very unlikely, but possible. Tech is almost impossible.

If it was ONLY about footprint and TVs, then Nebraska never would have been added.

I think if the BIG finds a way to get more ACC teams to come, it will happen. Florida State is dying to get out of the ACC for example, they just don't fit the BIG. There are plenty of rumors already floating around, but it's hard to believe anything right now because anyone can post anything anywhere.

Nebraska was admitted for one reason. The reason is that Nebraska allowed the B1G to go to two divisions & have a championship football game. Fox is paying twenty-four million a year for the championship game. That is over twice as much as CBS pays for the SEC game. Its about the money. Because of the championship game, Nebraska more than payed for itself. It is estimated that Nebraska increased B1G media revenue by at least twenty-eight million a year.

Nebraska was admitted for one reason. The reason is that Nebraska allowed the B1G to go to two divisions & have a championship football game.

Then why did they happen to select a top 10 team in all-time wins? Why not NIU?

You're the one thinking inside a box.

Is everyone in this thread 75 years old? Who says "TV sets" anymore? They're called TV's.
Come on over I'll feed you TV dinner and watch TV Set.
th

I really don't sympathize with people who dislike Maryland and Rutgers being in the Big Ten. Not everyone can win. You can't add another powerhouse team to the east without knocking a few other teams down a notch. Money issues aside, New Jersey, Maryland, New York City and DC are good recruiting ground.

According to BlueVod, the big ten is gonna add; Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, FSU, and Notre Dame. It all supposed to happen in the next couple months.

According to BlueVod, the big ten is gonna add; Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, FSU, and Notre Dame. It all supposed to happen in the next couple months.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the craziness of this proposal. Getting those teams in the B1G would be insane though....for both Football and Basketball.

One down side with 2 divisions, 10 teams, is you would have to play 9 games against your own division. So you would basically never play anyone in your other division unless you just cancelled non-conference games altogether (certainly a possibility).

BTW who is BlueVod and why is this person given credibility?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the craziness of this proposal. Getting those teams in the B1G would be insane though....for both Football and Basketball.

One down side with 2 divisions, 10 teams, is you would have to play 9 games against your own division. So you would basically never play anyone in your other division unless you just cancelled non-conference games altogether (certainly a possibility).

BTW who is BlueVod and why is this person given credibility?

Divide the conference into 4 geographical 5 team "divisions". You play each team in your division ever single year, and then every year you form a 10 team conference with a different Division (rotates every year, or every other year). The two conference winners play each year to determine the B1G champion. The great thing about it is to win your conference, you all play the same teams/schedule. No longer will one team playing easy crossovers, while another team gets tough crossover game. You get a true round robin like the Big12 gets, and then you get to play against an opponent you didn't face that year to win the B1G. It would be pretty sweet actually. Also you would be assured to get a home and home vs every team in the B1G twice every 6 years (better than it is now).

West division:
Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Ill.

South division:
Virginia, Duke, UNC, GT, FSU

East Division:
Maryland, Rutgers, Penn St., Ohio St., Michigan

Midwest Division:
Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, ND, Michigan St.

Or divide them up however you want. Point is you keep your geographic rivals every single year, so we get to keep the games vs. Minny, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Ill. Same for each Division.

Divide the conference into 4 geographical 5 team "divisions". You play each team in your division ever single year, and then every year you form a 10 team conference with a different Division (rotates every year, or every other year). The two conference winners play each year to determine the B1G champion. The great thing about it is to win your conference, you all play the same teams/schedule. No longer will one team playing easy crossovers, while another team gets tough crossover game. You get a true round robin like the Big12 gets, and then you get to play against an opponent you didn't face that year to win the B1G. It would be pretty sweet actually. Also you would be assured to get a home and home vs every team in the B1G twice every 6 years (better than it is now).

West division:

South division:

East Division:

Midwest Division:

Or divide them up however you want. Point is you keep your geographic rivals every single year, so we get to keep the games vs. Minny, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Ill. Same for each Division.

Love this. Sign me up.

West division:

South division:

East Division:

Midwest Division:

Makes sorta sense, except for rivalries. for example, michigan state wouldnt play michigan every year? I can't imagine them going for that.

Makes sorta sense, except for rivalries. for example, michigan state wouldnt play michigan every year? I can't imagine them going for that.

That will always be the kicker, keeping some teams together. Maybe put Mich and Mich St. together and Ohio St. with ND? I'm sure you are going to have a bit of a argument, but any kind of expansion is going to have questions like that.

I think the B1G did learn that one or two rivalries can't hold the conference back though. For instance when they first divided up the Legends and Leaders, and had protected crossovers. Just didn't work or make sense. Just better to lose one rivalry instead of twisting things into a knot to protect one game. Heck if it is Iowa losing playing Minny, or Wisconsin, so be it, you will form other rivalries over time.

Heck, you could always go with something like this. It is a little contorted geographic wise with Nebraska, but not too bad. Tons and tons of options really. Point is 4 or 5 team geographic divisions make so much more sense than being in the same 8, 9, or 10 team division each year. How do you even schedule "crossover" games against the other division in a 18 or 20 team conference if you don't do it this way?

B1G traditional schools

West:
Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan St., Ill.

Midwest
Michigan, OSU, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana

B1G New Schools

South
Virginia, UNC, Duke, GT, FSU

East
Nebraska, Maryland, Penn St., ND, Rutgers

Heck, you could always go with something like this. It is a little contorted geographic wise with Nebraska, but not too bad. Tons and tons of options really. Point is 4 or 5 team geographic divisions make so much more sense than being in the same 8, 9, or 10 team division each year. How do you even schedule "crossover" games against the other division in a 18 or 20 team conference if you don't do it this way?

B1G traditional schools

West:
Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan St., Ill.

Midwest
Michigan, OSU, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana

B1G New Schools

South
Virginia, UNC, Duke, GT, FSU

East
Nebraska, Maryland, Penn St., ND, Rutgers

I would be fantastic of this type of schedule and I also agree it wouldn't take long for new rivalries to form

I'd really like to have some of whatever BlueVoid is smoking. It really must be a crazy hallucinogen. Maybe I could fly.

Latest posts