Conference Expansion

I do not believe there is any expansion considerations going on at the conference office in Chicago. The conference has a quite a ways to go getting all the new members incorporated and on stable ground before entertaining more new members. Nebraska will just be beginning to get a full share as member and Maryland and Rutgers have their own issues to resolve.

I do believe we are starting to see a new strategy by the conference, I'll call it quasi membership. The addition of John Hopkins for Lacrosse and Notre Dame for Ice Hockey represent a significant change by the conference.

If there are any significant events related to new members it will be a ways down the road. From prior rumors, and that's all they amounted too, Virginia from the ACC is the preferred candidate at the conference headquarters and then one other ACC member that will get the Big Ten further south.

If the super conferences go beyond 16 teams, I think ISU would be fine. If the PAC adds 4 more teams, schools like Kansas and ISU would be pretty attractive/logical more so than a Idaho, Colorado or Utah State. If not the PAC, what ever hybrid of the ACC/Big12 would likely have a spot for them.

The Pac-12 already has Colorado...Idaho and Utah State wouldn't make the cut.

I do not agree with this map's re-alignment as it relates to the B1G, since I think the B1G would rather go East than South, but it illustrates very well how the Big 12 would get dismantled. I also think its dumb that this map took UNC out of the ACC, there's no way they'd leave Duke behind. I think its more likely WV would go to the SEC instead.

Still the point I was making is that its pretty easy to destroy the Big 12, and in most cases like these, Iowa State gets left out.

big12_graphic.jpg

Oklahoma has no chance. The demographics are against them. Georgia Tech & North Carolina are far better than Oklahoma. It has nothing with who you like. It's all about TV sets. Plus, Oklahoma is not a member of the AAU.

I think the B1G will stop caring about the AAU...clearly the SEC doesn't care about academics. The almighty dollar rules.

I think the B1G will stop caring about the AAU...clearly the SEC doesn't care about academics. The almighty dollar rules.

Don't dismiss academics. Academics is very important to the presidents of the B1G schools. Plus, I don't think they will allow any school like Oklahoma into the CIC. The CIC is more prestigious than the AAU. Remember, it's the presidents that admit new members, not Delaney.

http://www.cic.net/home

I do not agree with this map's re-alignment as it relates to the B1G, since I think the B1G would rather go East than South, but it illustrates very well how the Big 12 would get dismantled. I also think its dumb that this map took UNC out of the ACC, there's no way they'd leave Duke behind. I think its more likely WV would go to the SEC instead.

Still the point I was making is that its pretty easy to destroy the Big 12, and in most cases like these, Iowa State gets left out.

big12_graphic.jpg

There's no way that map can happen. Okie State isn't getting left out and neither is K-State. In fact, I think both are legislatively required to be in the same conference, but I might be wrong on that. Still, in those states, there's no way either one of them gets left out. It's more likely that a UConn and a Cincinnati get left out from a football standpoint than Okie State and K-State.

Don't dismiss academics. Academics is very important to the presidents of the B1G schools. Plus, I don't think they will allow any school like Oklahoma into the CIC. The CIC is more prestigious than the AAU. Remember, it's the presidents that admit new members, not Delaney.

http://www.cic.net/home

Exactly. Academic grants bring in 10 times more than revenue from football brings in.

There's no way that map can happen. Okie State isn't getting left out and neither is K-State. In fact, I think both are legislatively required to be in the same conference, but I might be wrong on that. Still, in those states, there's no way either one of them gets left out. It's more likely that a UConn and a Cincinnati get left out from a football standpoint than Okie State and K-State.

Plus, there is no way the B1G is taking Kansas & Oklahoma. Kansas' population is less than Iowa's. Oklahoma would only be larger than Iowa & Nebraska. Forget basketball, basketball revenue is pocket change compared to football revenue.

Plus, there is no way the B1G is taking Kansas & Oklahoma. Kansas' population is less than Iowa's. Oklahoma would only be larger than Iowa & Nebraska. Forget basketball, basketball revenue is pocket change compared to football revenue.

When the B1G expands again it is South. I think it is inevitable, and has been since the B1G, and the SEC moved to 14 teams.

Agree. It may not happen this year, but eventually I truly believe it's coming.

If the B1G expands again it will be for revenue purposes. The conference will not expand for expansion sake. Georgia Tech, Notre Dame or Texas would be a gold mine for the conference. I'd take Georgia Tech over Notre Dame because it would put the B1G squarely in SEC territory & the biggest TV market in the SEC. Plus, with the Dallas-Ft. Worth & Houston markets, it would put the conference in well over fifty-percent of the TV homes in the country.

I'm likely wrong, but I would contend a Okie St, K-State or ISU would be just as attractive to the ACC as UConn or Cincy, especially if a TV network is in play. If mega conference comes, I don't think geography will be the issue it once was, because it can't be, I think you would see leagues take the best schools available.

I would also think the PAC who like the BIG uses academics as a standard would find ISU more appealing than Texas Tech? Also I'm not convinced these things stay at 16, which would open the door for more schools on the bubble like ISU.

big12_graphic.jpg

I'm no ISU apologist, but for a re-org to leave out any current existing power conference team is pretty shabby and bush-league. They'll find a model that works that keeps everyone in.

Then again, who knows. I mean we're talking about the $NCAA.

I'm no ISU apologist, but for a re-org to leave out any current existing power conference team is pretty shabby and bush-league. They'll find a model that works that keeps everyone in.

Then again, who knows. I mean we're talking about the $NCAA.

Not a very intelligent statement. The NCAA has nothing to do with expansion. It is the conferences & individual schools that make the decision. The eleven presidents of the B1G schools decided to add Maryland, Nebraska & Rutgers. The NCAA didn't approve & couldn't block the expansion.

When the B1G expands again it is South. I think it is inevitable, and has been since the B1G, and the SEC moved to 14 teams.

Dean, back in 2011, the Atlanta market had well over 6 million tv viewers. Ga Tech really sounds like a likely candidate and I can agree about expanding south. But, I also say Notre Dame will be in the B1G. The B1G will provide ND with the most money, by far. They'll take it when the timing is right.

Dean, back in 2011, the Atlanta market had well over 6 million tv viewers. Ga Tech really sounds like a likely candidate and I can agree about expanding south. But, I also say Notre Dame will be in the B1G. The B1G will provide ND with the most money, by far. They'll take it when the timing is right.

Atlanta is the ninth largest market with 2,385,730 TV homes.

The B1G will not take the fourth or fifth best public school in a state.
Like I said, I don't know anything about Houston, just that they are in a very large market. The state of Texas is where every conference would love to be. But from an academic standpoint, I hear Rice is pretty good ;)

Like I said, I don't know anything about Houston, just that they are in a very large market. The state of Texas is where every conference would love to be. But from an academic standpoint, I hear Rice is pretty good ;)

Rice is noted for its applied science programs in the fields of artificial heart research, structural chemical analysis, signal processing, space science, and nanotechnology. It was ranked first in the world in materials science research by the Times Higher Education (THE) in 2010. Rice is a member of the Association of American Universities.

Latest posts