Concerns moving forward

Comparing Tyler Goodson to Weisman is pretty ridiculous. Two completely different backs and two completely different running styles (for good reason). You want Goodson to run like a guy 40 pounds heavier and an inch taller than him and you're going to have big problems.
5e198cfd-b604-4a18-873f-291774850983.jpg

Servicing Solutions

LeShun Daniels is a guy you can compare to Weisman., not Tyler Goodson.

What we're missing is having complimentary backs like we had when we ran Wadley with Daniels/Butler and Goodson with Sargent.

But in any case, Goodson is not a power guy who's going to have a bunch of yards after contact, he just isn't. He doesn't have the frame for it.
I'm trying to show that Iowa gets one-dimensional backs a lot of the time, and all-around backs are rare at Iowa. They don't seem to be at ISU, Wisconsin, NW, Minnesota, or MSU. But those teams don't get TE or DBacks like we do, so it kind of is what it is. The mismatch between identity and skill at running back at Iowa is one reason why they are so anemic on offense.

Tyler Goodson needs a great line to be productive at the levels he was last year. If he can get into the open field, he can house you. It's just that the line is objectively terrible, so those opportunities are going to be few and far between with the type of back he is.

With this line, it might make sense to run Pottebaum up the gut a little more often, on first or second down to get those initial 4 yards and keep the offense on schedule. With these tackles, running off-tackle when you can't make a hole is going to be tough sledding for anyone.

Interesting that KF said, yep we have to improve, but we can do some things in our plan too that can help. So nice to see the coaches taking tactical ownership and deciding to change things up going forward to give them a better chance to be successful.

Now I wonder what that will be.. More jet sweep motion? Different routes? Misdirection?

I'm trying to show that Iowa gets one-dimensional backs a lot of the time, and all-around backs are rare at Iowa. They don't seem to be at ISU, Wisconsin, NW, Minnesota, or MSU. But those teams don't get TE or DBacks like we do, so it kind of is what it is. The mismatch between identity and skill at running back at Iowa is one reason why they are so anemic on offense.

Tyler Goodson needs a great line to be productive at the levels he was last year. If he can get into the open field, he can house you. It's just that the line is objectively terrible, so those opportunities are going to be few and far between with the type of back he is.

With this line, it might make sense to run Pottebaum up the gut a little more often, on first or second down to get those initial 4 yards and keep the offense on schedule. With these tackles, running off-tackle when you can't make a hole is going to be tough sledding for anyone.
I wouldn’t mind Pottebaum just plain being an RB like butler or Daniels. At the very least it’d help set up tendencies and Goodson could get work out of the slot like Wadley used to. Pottebaum wouldn’t need to be overly fast if he was expected to get 3-4 yards when you need it and not more than that.

Are you going to the games or watching from home? Because you can’t see the wide open receivers on TV.
Sorry. I have had season tickets for decades and have attended nearly all of Iowa’s away games for many years. Having played and coached football for many years, I love watching the game through binoculars focused on individuals, blocking patterns, defensive alignments, etc. Bottom line? I know what I don’t know.

Sorry. I have had season tickets for decades and have attended nearly all of Iowa’s away games for many years. Having played and coached football for many years, I love watching the game through binoculars focused on individuals, blocking patterns, defensive alignments, etc. Bottom line? I know what I don’t know.

Then why are you calling my post "silly"? You've been that tuned into the blocking patterns that you cannot see the wide open receivers that Petras consistently misses?

My point is we are not OSU. We don't reload at every position every year, and it takes a few years to get everything to align.

As for not having running backs - Iowa's had three really good backs in twenty years: Ladell Betts. Fred Russell. Akrum Wadley.

So many times we have scat backs who can't block or make a hole - Jordan Canzeri types. Or backs no vision (Toren Young, Leshun Daniels, Mark Weisman). They don't follow blocks. They don't lower the pad level and drive through the line on the inside (Tyler Goodson). They're serviceable, but not the complete package.
What about Doak Walker award winning Shonn Greene?

Latest posts