Concerns moving forward

It is much easier to see in person, he can’t read defenses. He can’t improvise. He has a great if inaccurate arm but no ability to feel pressure or step away from it much less elude it. I was impressed with the CS QB ability to pick up the blitz to the point Parker had to abandon it in the second half. If he had run the ball more they would have been much harder to beat. Not all Petras fault I’m not implying that. But Iowa will not obtain its goals unless the light goes on and soon. People are trying to say that int before half was not his fault, look, if a defender is anywhere near a screen pass you Don’t throw the ball unless your certain. That was a 14 point swing. He threw the ball with the defender standing between the receiver and blocker. That was a head scratcher.

My point is we are not OSU. We don't reload at every position every year, and it takes a few years to get everything to align.

As for not having running backs - Iowa's had three really good backs in twenty years: Ladell Betts. Fred Russell. Akrum Wadley.

So many times we have scat backs who can't block or make a hole - Jordan Canzeri types. Or backs no vision (Toren Young, Leshun Daniels, Mark Weisman). They don't follow blocks. They don't lower the pad level and drive through the line on the inside (Tyler Goodson). They're serviceable, but not the complete package.
I understand your overall point, but how do you forget Shonn Greene?!?
Albert Young was also a great complete back even missing a couple years due to injury. I personally would also put Goodson as one of our best, though you’re right about him not being as strong between the tackles at times I still think he’s stronger than Wadley.

Iowa has had QB problems really since JC. An asterisk by Pick Rick and CJ. Both were good, but CJ was physically demolished and RS was good with liabilities. Don't think CJ's demolition and RS ints were on them. The other QBs really struggled in certain aspects. The common denominator was KF. JC shined at the school that produced 2 NFL qbs after he left. Stanley and Petras have a lot of common traits.

Iowa needs a mobile qb with good body control. Desperately.

I couldn't tell from what is on the screen what the issue was. Was it it the pressure Colorado State's defense was bringing? Was it the long snapper being inaccurate? Or was there issues with wind playing around with the snap? Anyone have any insight?
I was at the game, there was some wind but it didn't seem to be that much of a factor, especially down on the field. Taylor just got off one bad punt (something like 25-35 yards). I didn't see any particular reason. I did also notice that Shudak's kickoffs were not up to par either. To the point that I was wondering if he had a slight injury or something. His leg did look fine on the 45 yard field goal that he kicked though.

I understand your overall point, but how do you forget Shonn Greene?!?
Albert Young was also a great complete back even missing a couple years due to injury. I personally would also put Goodson as one of our best, though you’re right about him not being as strong between the tackles at times I still think he’s stronger than Wadley.
You noticed that Goodson is not the biggest or strongest of backs, makes it a head scratcher that his back up is the exact same size as him. While Williams is a bruiser who pounds out yards. Did not see him once in the CSU game, is he hurt?

I was at the game, there was some wind but it didn't seem to be that much of a factor, especially down on the field. Taylor just got off one bad punt (something like 25-35 yards). I didn't see any particular reason. I did also notice that Shudak's kickoffs were not up to par either. To the point that I was wondering if he had a slight injury or something. His leg did look fine on the 45 yard field goal that he kicked though.
Wind was a factor for kicking and long throws, not a factor for a 10 yard screen play, that's was more a mental fart than a wind.

My point is we are not OSU. We don't reload at every position every year, and it takes a few years to get everything to align.

As for not having running backs - Iowa's had three really good backs in twenty years: Ladell Betts. Fred Russell. Akrum Wadley.

So many times we have scat backs who can't block or make a hole - Jordan Canzeri types. Or backs no vision (Toren Young, Leshun Daniels, Mark Weisman). They don't follow blocks. They don't lower the pad level and drive through the line on the inside (Tyler Goodson). They're serviceable, but not the complete package.
On your post:
Option 1, you are a remarkable analyst in re: running backs.
Option 2: you made up a bunch of stuff

On your post:
Option 1, you are a remarkable analyst in re: running backs.
Option 2: you made up a bunch of stuff

I don't claim to be a guru. I did play running back, though I was too small to be any good, and these are things our coaches would pound into our skulls in practice. It's fundamental RB training. Get low in the hole, run behind (literally their backs are the side of the block you run on) your blockers, then run where the daylight is. It's just basic stuff.

I always hear how vision can't be taught on broadcasts. That's just not true. The patience and diligence to follow the rules and the speed, size, and agility to execute them are innate, though. Hopefully these links work. Slow them down and watch.

I'm not the first person to see this stuff, btw:

Watch Goodson as he hits the hole on this play:
Then again on this play:
Then again on this play:

Check out Weisman on this run:

It's a positive play because of his power and the line doing an excellent job. But it should have been an explosive play to the outside after the hole. Instead of stepping to the right, following Van Sloten (70), he gets Donnal's (78) man blocked into his lower leg, causing a stumble that turns a big outside run into a 8 yard gain inside instead.

His other option was a jump cut to Donnal's left shoulder into the cutback lane, or a stop and go, waiting for Donnal to clear. Scherf (68) had sealed the LB on the second level for a TD. Weisman didn't have that capability as a runner, though, so I think the read to step right to follow van Sloten for 12 - 15 yards was his better option.

This is a routine problem in the backs that don't make the league at Iowa. 3,4,5 yards on what could be twenty, or negative yards when lowering the shoulder could get you 3. I know it hurts sometimes.

This doesn't make Iowa's backs bad. It just keeps them from being good or great. Goodson is really, really good. He follows blocks well, and catches the ball well. I just want him to start lowering his shoulder pads in the hole to get some more tough yards, and break some more tackles.

Edit:
Also, I know Iowa works this stuff. The cut drills in The Heartland series show it being worked on. It's one thing to see and say it and quite another thing to do it.

Last edited:
I don't claim to be a guru. I did play running back, though I was too small to be any good, and these are things our coaches would pound into our skulls in practice. It's fundamental RB training. Get low in the hole, run behind (literally their backs are the side of the block you run on) your blockers, then run where the daylight is. It's just basic stuff.

I always hear how vision can't be taught on broadcasts. That's just not true. The patience and diligence to follow the rules and the speed, size, and agility to execute them are innate, though. Hopefully these links work. Slow them down and watch.

Then again on this play:
Then again on this play:

It's a positive play because of his power and the line doing an excellent job. But it should have been an explosive play to the outside after the hole. Instead of stepping to the right, following Van Sloten (70), he gets Donnal's (78) man blocked into his lower leg, causing a stumble that turns a big outside run into a 8 yard gain inside instead.

His other option was a jump cut to Donnal's left shoulder into the cutback lane, or a stop and go, waiting for Donnal to clear. Scherf (68) had sealed the LB on the second level for a TD. Weisman didn't have that capability as a runner, though, so I think the read to step right to follow van Sloten for 12 - 15 yards was his better option.

This is a routine problem in the backs that don't make the league at Iowa. 3,4,5 yards on what could be twenty, or negative yards when lowering the shoulder could get you 3. I know it hurts sometimes.

This doesn't make Iowa's backs bad. It just keeps them from being good or great. Goodson is really, really good. He follows blocks well, and catches the ball well. I just want him to start lowering his shoulder pads in the hole to get some more tough yards, and break some more tackles.

Edit:
Also, I know Iowa works this stuff. The cut drills in The Heartland series show it being worked on. It's one thing to see and say it and quite another thing to do it.
Look. You made some good observations. But you also picked a few plays out of literally 100’s of carries by TG. And Mark W. Really? He was a fill in RB, which he would likely tell you if you asked him. Bottom line is that he gave Iowa everything he had. Using him as a negative example is nit picking at its worst. Just a reminder…TG was a first team all BT running back last year. Guess I will go with that.

Hawks spent the 1st half showing/messing with a lot of '12' sets and even a couple of plays with 10 players in the offensive box. Whether that was to get on film, or thought it was something that would surprise/work v CSU ???

2nd half Hawks ran that set 1 time that I remember and took advantage of a loaded box and tight coverage with a couple double moves downfield. And yes, it was windy on the field - could see that with punting, KOffs and a couple throws into the wind from our lower North end zone seats.

Look. You made some good observations. But you also picked a few plays out of literally 100’s of carries by TG. And Mark W. Really? He was a fill in RB, which he would likely tell you if you asked him. Bottom line is that he gave Iowa everything he had. Using him as a negative example is nit picking at its worst. Just a reminder…TG was a first team all BT running back last year. Guess I will go with that.
Weisman was an easy example, sure. I'm not sure you can call him a backup, though. He was the feature back for almost 2 seasons, due to RB depth. Once Coker got going, that was able to change.

Wehger used to do make poor reads downfield a lot too. He was fast enough to get away with it, except on the short side stretch:

Tyler isn't nitpicking. This is habit with him. I just picked his first series Saturday. He did the high pad level and fold three runs in a row. Watch the old games. He does it a lot.

You know who I forgot as a good RB example, though? Leshun Daniels Jr. He has several great runs, but the 51 yard one vs Minnesota was the best. He made two excellent reads and ran hard through the hole.

How did you like your seats?
Not bad at all. Way higher up than the top rows of sideline seats, but you have a better view IMO because you're closer due to the steepness of the deck. I did hear a few comments from folks who must not have sat there before that the incline was giving them vertigo. I can definitely understand that, it's like you're walking up a steep roof.

Then again on this play:
Then again on this play:

Edit:
Comparing Tyler Goodson to Weisman is pretty ridiculous. Two completely different backs and two completely different running styles (for good reason). You want Goodson to run like a guy 40 pounds heavier and an inch taller than him and you're going to have big problems.

LeShun Daniels is a guy you can compare to Weisman., not Tyler Goodson.

What we're missing is having complimentary backs like we had when we ran Wadley with Daniels/Butler and Goodson with Sargent.

But in any case, Goodson is not a power guy who's going to have a bunch of yards after contact, he just isn't. He doesn't have the frame for it.

Not bad at all. Way higher up than the top rows of sideline seats, but you have a better view IMO because you're closer due to the steepness of the deck. I did hear a few comments from folks who must not have sat there before that the incline was giving them vertigo. I can definitely understand that, it's like you're walking up a steep roof.

I think people are catching on to how great the view is though, so far every seat in my section has been sold out and the seats in my section are selling for $300 each for the Penn State game. But, yeah, the height does take some getting used too I got a little dizzy the first time I climbed up to my seats and then turned around to face the field.

I think people are catching on to how great the view is though, so far every seat in my section has been sold out and the seats in my section are selling for $300 each for the Penn State game. But, yeah, the height does take some getting used too I got a little dizzy the first time I climbed up to my seats and then turned around to face the field.
I don’t generally get concessions because they’re a humongous ripoff, but I noticed the lines aren’t near as long over there either.

Did see a guy come up from the concourse with about $150 worth of food and drinks for his group of four, about as much as one person could carry. Maybe I’m in the small minority but holy cow…who wants to spend that kind of cash on such shitty food? Wouldn’t you just hit up a restaurant on the way to town if your group was that hungry?

I don’t generally get concessions because they’re a humongous ripoff, but I noticed the lines aren’t near as long over there either.

Did see a guy come up from the concourse with about $150 worth of food and drinks for his group of four, about as much as one person could carry. Maybe I’m in the small minority but holy cow…who wants to spend that kind of cash on such shitty food? Wouldn’t you just hit up a restaurant on the way to town if your group was that hungry?

Still shitty lines though, my daughter damn near missed the pregame show because my grandson wanted popcorn. It didn't help that the concession stand behind my section was closed for some reason and I haven't seen the one further down open yet this year. It makes me wonder if Aramark is struggling to find enough people/non profit organizations to work them.

Yeah the prices they charge for food is outrageous and it's not all that great. Iowa could do A LOT better with the food choices and quality. I'm ok with paying $8 for popcorn but it better be some of the best popcorn I've ever had.

Latest posts