concern for girl

Hey it's Captain Hyperbole!

The point was how can we be concerned about something that we don't even know happened?

I'm often concerned about things that may or may not have happened to people I know nothing about. It keeps me awake at night.

And 83% of statistics are made up on the spot. 36% of police reports in these cases are cases of remorse or regret.

+1
She would have went to he hospital for the rape kit, if it was because there were injuries the accused would have been arrested. So my guess is she was part of the 36%.

she DROPPED the charges....move along...there's nothing to see here...

There were NO charges to drop. She decided she did not want to participate in a criminal prosecution. In view of that and the evidence, the county attorney's office for whatever reason decided not to bring charges.

That is not the same as the university apparently investigating Coker for allegations of violation of the student-athlete code of conduct. That process is heavily stacked against the student-athlete; I don't blame Coker for wanting to move on and get a fresh start.

For him, it likely was very difficult to hang around campus and Iowa City the past few weeks.

I don't blame Coker for wanting to move on and get a fresh start.

For him, it likely was very difficult to hang around campus and Iowa City the past few weeks.

For him to be known as "that guy" around campus, for something he perhaps didn't do... I would want a fresh start too.

I agree with your concern, but the fact is the police stated that Coker was innocent of any criminal wrongdoing. I think this is what is driving the focus to the question of why our 2011 & probably 2012-2013 offensive MVP just transfered.

Hayden's Dad - that is simply incorrect.

Please read this article for more description.

She was interviewed for 3 hours, then sent to the hospital for treatment, counseling and 'collected unspecified evidence', which I'll let you infer what that means.

Ex-Iowa Hawkeyes' Marcus Coker played while facing assault investigation - ESPN

she DROPPED the charges....move along...there's nothing to see here...

It's up to the county attorney whether or not to file criminal charges. Their office decided not to do so. While we will probably never know the complete rationale behind this decision, the fact that the alleged victim apparently did not desire to proceed was undoubtedly part of it. I doubt the county attorney would want to proceed with another high profile sexual assault case without some pretty solid evidence after the Satterfield/Everson cases. For the attention those cases received, I think the results were much different than most expected (reflecting poorly on the county attorney's office). That does not necessarily mean there was no evidence of wrongdoing on anyone's part (including Coker's), but the prosecution has a very high burden of proof in criminal cases and I doubt the county attorney wanted to press on without a high likelihood of conviction. Just my two cents.

It's up to the county attorney whether or not to file criminal charges. Their office decided not to do so. While we will probably never know the complete rationale behind this decision, the fact that the alleged victim apparently did not desire to proceed was undoubtedly part of it. I doubt the county attorney would want to proceed with another high profile sexual assault case without some pretty solid evidence after the Satterfield/Everson cases. For the attention those cases received, I think the results were much different than most expected (reflecting poorly on the county attorney's office). That does not necessarily mean there was no evidence of wrongdoing on anyone's part (including Coker's), but the prosecution has a very high burden of proof in criminal cases and I doubt the county attorney wanted to press on without a high likelihood of conviction. Just my two cents.

the article i posted interviews the Johnson County attorney. They don't go forward unless the victim goes forward as well. she didn't want to go forward, and I can understand why.

just a year or two ago this whole thing happened in iowa city, and she probably followed it. what did the victim gain in that case? and, that victim's attorney (johnson county attorney) called her a liar! their own client! so her not wanting to move forward says nothing about if something happened or didn't happen.

Technically, the county attorney's client is "the people."

do i get any official credit or certificate from your office with all of the legal knowledge gained as a follower of iowa football? is that something that can be electronically submitted, or do i need to submit paper docs for the certificate request?

do i get any official credit or certificate from your office with all of the legal knowledge gained as a follower of iowa football? is that something that can be electronically submitted, or do i need to submit paper docs for the certificate request?

Just making sure you have the right terminology, buddy. Lawyers very rarely throw their client under the bus and there are plenty of good folks over at the JCA office - don't want them unfairly branded as throwing their client under the bus.

Just making sure you have the right terminology, buddy. Lawyers very rarely throw their client under the bus and there are plenty of good folks over at the JCA office - don't want them unfairly branded as throwing their client under the bus.

and i appreciate that! but i am being serious about some kind of documentation....maybe jr. j.d. or something of that nature. is that something your office hands out - i can't believe i couldn't pass the exam.....

to be clear, it wasn't the attorney throwing the alleged (see, i am a quick study) victim under the bus, it was the people of johnson county? or did the attorney throw the alleged victim under the bus to protect the people of johnson county from the alleged assaulters in the future?

i guess i'm not quite up to jr. j.d. like i thought i was....

And 83% of statistics are made up on the spot. 36% of police reports in these cases are cases of remorse or regret.

That 36% jumps to 50+% when it is cases of white women alleging rape/sexual assault by black men.

Don't know a thing about the accuser in this case, so I can't begin to guess what went on and/or is going on.

I am 90+% sure we will NEVER know the whole story. Frankly, we don't even know if THAT is the reason for the suspension. I have received e-mails that STILL say there was an academic "issue".

As Nigel Tufnel said about the investigation into the death of one of Spinal Tap's numerous drummers: "Best...leave it...unsolved".

In other words, ONLY if Marcus Coker and/or any victim chooses to speak should we go on with all this conjecture.

The unfortunate part of it is that NOW the U of I is being made to look like they "allowed" Marcus Coker to play while being investigated, versus giving him the benefit of the doubt/presuming him innocent until proven guilty.

That 36% jumps to 50+% when it is cases of white women alleging rape/sexual assault by black men.

Don't know a thing about the accuser in this case, so I can't begin to guess what went on and/or is going on.

I am 90+% sure we will NEVER know the whole story. Frankly, we don't even know if THAT is the reason for the suspension. I have received e-mails that STILL say there was an academic "issue".

As Nigel Tufnel said about the investigation into the death of one of Spinal Tap's numerous drummers: "Best...leave it...unsolved".

In other words, ONLY if Marcus Coker and/or any victim chooses to speak should we go on with all this conjecture.

The unfortunate part of it is that NOW the U of I is being made to look like they "allowed" Marcus Coker to play while being investigated, versus giving him the benefit of the doubt/presuming him innocent until proven guilty.

Lawyer: Iowa Should Have Acted Sooner On Player - Des Moines News Story - KCCI Des Moines

I normally place that particular attorney on a level approximately two notches above Gloria Allred. However, in this case, I can't argue with her. OTOH, "being investigated" should not necessarily mean "suspended". It may have applied in this particular case, but I don't think we really know enough to say that.

Still, as KF normally tends toward "suspend now, (possibly) forgive later", I won't make the leap to say he ensured Coker continuing to play in a win-at-all-costs mode.

Latest posts