Compare Resumes: Iowa and ISU

What were we thinking scheduling most of our games with RPI 200+ teams? To give ISU credit.. their stats one points per game, threes, and FG% are very healthy. Our shooting sucks bad.

Why would the results be much different in the B12, since we didn't play the upper echelon that much in the B1G. Playing KU and KSU twice would maybe be 2 losses plus having to play at OSU, Baylor, ISU, and OU. These 2 conferences are actually pretty similar except maybe at the very top.

ILHawk, you have been exposed as an Illini troll please cease and desist from referring to the Hoks as we. Or were you talking about the Illini in your post?

ILHawk, you have been exposed as an Illini troll please cease and desist from referring to the Hoks as we. Or were you talking about the Illini in your post?

Iowa has been so fun to follow this year that I am to the point that I don't care if we make the NCAA or not. I am rooting for a post-season tournament (NIT looks good) so we keep playing. This team keeps getting better and could really get on a roll.

This NCAA nonsense is hurting my brain. Iowa seems worthy to me, but this goofy "RPI" is ridiculous. To me, it is curious that Pomeroy and Sagarin, 2 trusted rating services, have Iowa in the Top 35. Doesn't that mean anything?

Does anyone really believe that if there were a match up of Big Ten teams, one through nine, matched up with the MWC teams, that the west coast gang would prevail?

What were we thinking scheduling most of our games with RPI 200+ teams? To give ISU credit.. their stats one points per game, threes, and FG% are very healthy. Our shooting sucks bad.

According to an Andrew Francis interview, the fact that both point guards were freshmen, they were breaking in a freshman center and the team, as a whole, was pretty young, the idea was to get wins to build confidence and still allow time for the team and freshmen to grow and to build overall chemistry.

I cant say that i disagree with the tactic at all....sort of a bill snyder philosophy for basketball. I fully expect the ooc schedule to be much more difficult next year...

You do realize that the coaches in that conference know how to massage the RPI to their favor, right? It has been documented on how they do it. When it comes tournament time schools from this conference do not last long.

Past 10 years:

2012 1-4
2011 4-3 (BYU & SDSU Sweet 16)
2010 2-4
2009 0-2
2008 1-2
2007 2-2 (UNLV sweet 16)
2006 0-2
2005 2-2 (Utah sweet 16)
2004 0-3
2003 1-3

Total record the past 10 years: 13-27

Ha ha ha....if you only knew the truth. The Illini have caused me great pain in recent years as they do well against the Hawks.

Problem is that you don't like the truth and it hurts so you handle bad news by name calling. Grow up.

Anyway, pretty funny, especially in light of the truth... That said, the point I was making was that Iowa avoided the top of the B1G. Iowa is the worst team Illanoy played only once. Illinois didn't play several bottom feeders 2x. The non con schedule and that fact hurt.

Easy to see why they have higher ranking... the only area we lead is in rebounds - we average 39.5 boards a game and ISU averages 39.4. We won't be competive until we can start shooting at a higher clip than 211th in the country...

Points Per Game IA 70th, Rebounds 16th, Assists 24th, Field Goal Percentage 211th
Points Per Game ISU 5th, Rebounds 18th, Assists 13th, Field Goal Percentage 67th

Iowa Men's College Basketball - Hawkeyes News, Scores, Videos - College Basketball - ESPN

Easy to see why they have higher ranking... the only area we lead is in rebounds - we average 39.5 boards a game and ISU averages 39.4. We won't be competive until we can start shooting at a higher clip than 211th in the country...

Points Per Game IA 70th, Rebounds 16th, Assists 24th, Field Goal Percentage 211th
Points Per Game ISU 5th, Rebounds 18th, Assists 13th, Field Goal Percentage 67th

Iowa Men's College Basketball - Hawkeyes News, Scores, Videos - College Basketball - ESPN

The Hawks are competitive right now, bad shooting and all. Will they be Very good team when they start shooting better, but bad shooting doesn't mean they aren't competitive.

That's because they play in a conference that is much more offensive minded. Iowa State is poor defensively, along with much of the Big 12.

That's because they play in a conference that is much more offensive minded. Iowa State is poor defensively, along with much of the Big 12.

There is not differing basketball philosophies between the big10 and BigXII. ISU is averaging the points/stats they do because they have shooters. literally every guy on the team can hit 3's.

I keep hearing the conference comparisons. come the end of the season, ISU's and Iowa's SOS won't be all that different. and lets not ignore the fact that Iowa somehow avoids playing the top teams in the Big10 twice.

There is not differing basketball philosophies between the big10 and BigXII. ISU is averaging the points/stats they do because they have shooters. literally every guy on the team can hit 3's.

I keep hearing the conference comparisons. come the end of the season, ISU's and Iowa's SOS won't be all that different. and lets not ignore the fact that Iowa somehow avoids playing the top teams in the Big10 twice.

Big10 > Big12. It's not really close either. If they had a Big10/Big12 Challenge this year the Big10 would of smoked the Big12.

Big10 > Big12. It's not really close either. If they had a Big10/Big12 Challenge this year the Big10 would of smoked the Big12.

The big 10 is better, but it's only because of the few teams at the top. Texas and KU are both down this year. that's just what happens in college sports. teams can't be elite every single year.

and regardless, many on here are making the case that "iowa has a slightly worse record but plays in a tougher conference", except for the fact that Iowa has the easiest possible slate in that tougher conference and ISU has to play everyone twice.

The best team in the B12 would be the 4th best team in the B10. Not only that but the B12 doesn't have nearly the depth. While Iowa may be 'fortunate' to not play some of the top teams in the conference twice, they still have a much tougher conference haul than ISU. I don't even think that's really debatable.

The big 10 is better, but it's only because of the few teams at the top. Texas and KU are both down this year. that's just what happens in college sports. teams can't be elite every single year.

and regardless, many on here are making the case that "iowa has a slightly worse record but plays in a tougher conference", except for the fact that Iowa has the easiest possible slate in that tougher conference and ISU has to play everyone twice.

Kansas isn't down, they are right where they usually are, a top 10 team. Texas isn't as good as they usually are, but top to bottom the Big 10 is a better league. If you went down the standings and matched up the teams by standings, the Big 10 would be favored in every game. ISU has played 4 games against currently ranked teams in conference and Iowa has played 6 games against currently ranked teams in conference. So even if Iowa is playing the easiest Big 10 schedule, the easiest Big 10 schedule is tougher than ISU's Big12 schedule.

Having to play the 3 good teams in the Big 12 is more than balanced out by getting to play TCU, Tech, Texas and West Virginia twice. All four of those teams are terrible. So you add that to the fact that the Big 12 has one top 10 team and comparing the conferences is laughable

Iowa has had a better resume through respective conference seasons. The non con is killing us.

Well that, too, is debatable.

Iowa State's RPI is like 35th through the conference season, while Iowa's is 61st.

Iowa has a home win over RPI #15 Minnesota and RPI #24 Wisconsin, and no other top 100 RPI wins. They have a bad loss to RPI #124 Purdue.

Iowa State, meanwhile, has a home win over RPI #18 Oklahoma, home win over RPI #19 Kansas State, home win over #60 Baylor, and ROAD WIN over #60 Baylor. Actually Iowa State has another top 100 win over #97 West Virginia at home too. Bad loss to #124 Texas (who added Kabongo back for that game) and very bad loss to Texas Tech.

At absolute worst for Iowa State, they're about even. Although I still think ISU's done more. Iowa State still has a shot to beat KU, Okla State, and win @OU. Iowa still has a chance to beat Illinois and win @Indiana. So even with all of this said, much is yet to be determined.

As of now though, Iowa State will be in the field with just another couple of wins.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha....if you only knew the truth. The Illini have caused me great pain in recent years as they do well against the Hawks.

Problem is that you don't like the truth and it hurts so you handle bad news by name calling. Grow up.

Anyway, pretty funny, especially in light of the truth... That said, the point I was making was that Iowa avoided the top of the B1G. Iowa is the worst team Illanoy played only once. Illinois didn't play several bottom feeders 2x. The non con schedule and that fact hurt.

Aren't those two statements contradictory? Did illannoy not play teams worse than Iowa once, or did they not play bottom feeders twice?

I agree that Iowa was fortunate in the sense that they played some top BIG teams only once ... but their schedule should compare favorably to most bubble teams they'd be up against.

Not to mention that, of the top six RPI teams in the conference, Iowa will have played 3 of them twice ... and is 2-3 so far.

I actually agree here. Iowa and ISU are about even, which is yet another reason why the RPI is a silly tool for the selection committee to place so much emphasis on. It tends to overrate certain teams (see Mountain West) and underrate others.

Latest posts