Coldest game ever at Kinnick

ICHawk24

The OnIowa podcast reported that KCRG weather guy Joe Winters looked up the weather of every game ever played at Kinnick, and tomorrow should top them for the coldest.

Nobody likes playing in the cold so I don't believe this gives either team an advantage. Both teams have to play in it so it'll boil down to talent and execution like every game.

Not sure I buy that Iowa has an advantage in a game that favors play the trenches. Iowa has been physically manhandled far too much this year on both sides of the LOS to make that claim.

Disagree Hawkinn3: If you are a team who is designed to throw the ball around, spread the field, capitalize on big plays, etc. , having to play in freezing cold and wind severely hampers the way you are designed to play. A primarily run first team who is strong on the interior and weak at the edges is far less disadvantaged by having to play in inclimiate weather. The weather tomorrow clearly favors the Hawks.. whether or not we capitalize on it is certainly based on execution and minimizing mistakes/ turnovers.

IIRC, the Nebby game was 26° at kickoff, with a windchill of 17°. The temperature will be colder, but what is the forecast for the windchill (I believe wind gusts last year of 35mph).

The OnIowa podcast reported that KCRG weather guy Joe Winters looked up the weather of every game ever played at Kinnick, and tomorrow should top them for the coldest.

Maybe we could have gotten the forecast from Joe Summers and then we wouldn't be hearing about the coldest day ever at Kinnick. But, since it didn't happen that way, I say bring it on.

I'll be there... bring it on! Then again I've been to a Bears vs Falcons game at Soldier Field that was -16 degrees with wind chill. This won't be nothing compared to that. Couldn't even drink your beer fast enough before it froze.

IIRC, the Nebby game was 26° at kickoff, with a windchill of 17°. The temperature will be colder, but what is the forecast for the windchill (I believe wind gusts last year of 35mph).

Forecast kickoff wind chill is -1.

Just checked weather.com, they say kickoff temp of 23 and "feels like" 8. I assume that means wind chill.

Nobody likes playing in the cold so I don't believe this gives either team an advantage. Both teams have to play in it so it'll boil down to talent and execution like every game.

he's not talking about one team 'liking to play in cold better', but rather BECAUSE of the cold and wind it changes the game plan and what can be successful. Iowa supposedly is better in the trenches and running the ball, whereas Mich had back-to-back games of negative rushing totals....

I really hope Joe was smart enough to skip over the August/September games in his quest to find the coldest Iowa game ever.

he's not talking about one team 'liking to play in cold better', but rather BECAUSE of the cold and wind it changes the game plan and what can be successful. Iowa supposedly is better in the trenches and running the ball, whereas Mich had back-to-back games of negative rushing totals....

Better explanation than the OP!

Not sure I buy that Iowa has an advantage in a game that favors play the trenches. Iowa has been physically manhandled far too much this year on both sides of the LOS to make that claim.

I can think of two games this year where you could argue that they were manhandled. I suppose that's far too much but considering they've played 10 games your post is fairly misleading.

Just checked weather.com, they say kickoff temp of 23 and "feels like" 8. I assume that means wind chill.

The high is now only supposed to be 20, so I'm guessing much colder than 23 at kickoff.

If it was 26 with 35 mph winds, the wind chill should have been sub zero. Will be the same tomorrow. Low 20s with 20-30 mph winds should put the wind chill between 0 and -15.

What was the temp of the Penn State game a few years back?

That is the coldest I recall off the top of my head.

Yikes. Now I'm really wishing I would have participated in no shave November.

At least we won't have to purchase ice for the beer... :-/

If it was 26 with 35 mph winds, the wind chill should have been sub zero. Will be the same tomorrow. Low 20s with 20-30 mph winds should put the wind chill between 0 and -15.

The wind was gusting, if I recall correctly, up to 35 mph. I was there, and can attest it was friggin' cold! I just remember the temp numbers because I came home and rewatched the game on DVR, and they had a graphic showing it at the start of the telecast.

Tomorrow will definitely be the coldest I have attended. Beating out last years Nebby and definitely ahead of PennSt '08.

'08 was my first year for season tix, so I wouldn't be able to compare it with any of the other "coldest" games.

Coldest games in recent memory: Nebby in 2012, PSU in 2008, NW in 2000, at NW in 1995, vs Minny on the famous snow game. I personally think the NW game in 2000 was colder.

Latest posts