Coldest game ever at Kinnick

Michigan has run for negative yards a few times this year and has given up a ton of sacks. If Iowa can't use the weather and Michigan's weak o-line and d-line to their advantage tomorrow, they're never going to.

I agree that 2008 PSU was one of the coldest games ever. I've had season tickets since 1988 and I would put it #2 on my all-time list. Most people don't remember how cold it was due to the ending of the game and the fact that it's a special memory for a lot of people. The coldest ever, BY FAR, was Nebraska last year. Nothing really even compares to that. For me, #3 was an early-90s OSU game on Halloween night that featured freezing rain for the entire 2nd half. Robert Smith had like 200 yards and we got our azzes kicked.

I could have sworn that maybe sometime the last 25 years, I went to a game when it was 9. I remember borrowing a ski suit from my sister in law.

I will be there. Planning to wear my winter boots to keep my feet warm. I bought fleece long underwear, and I'll be sporting a Hawkeye helmet ski mask. I might even put on one if those large heat packs for back aches just to keep toasty.

Eda, this is our last time to shot gun a beer this season....PM me if you want.

That Penn State game in 2008 and even the Purdue game the next week were two of the coldest that I remember and I've been going to games since the late 1980's. The one thing that we do have going for us is it supposed to be sunny on Saturday. If you're not in the wind and in the sun, it might be tolerable.

The frickin' 2010 Orange Bowl was no picnic. No one was prepared for it and it's not like you could go to Walmart in Miami and get a hat and gloves. We froze our arses off.

I hope this gives us some type of advantage. I don't think the passing game is going to be much of a factor. Hopefully, we'll be able to move the ball on the ground. Go HAWKS!!

I can think of two games this year where you could argue that they were manhandled. I suppose that's far too much but considering they've played 10 games your post is fairly misleading.

Physically Iowa played head up with OSU for the first half, got completely dominated in the 2nd half. Against Northwestern Iowa did the pushing around for the first quarter and a half and got handled for the last 2 1/2 quarters. Wisconsin and MSU games were laughable, Iowa was completely outmatched. They did dominate Minnesota all game, but so did Michigan a week later. And they hammered Purdue, just like everyone else.

So in B10 play, Iowa has been pushed around as much as they have done the pushing. So its difficult for me to say they have an edge over Michigan in the trenches. Its hard to consider your team physical in the trenches when a finesse team (Northwestern) handles Iowa's OL & DL for 35-40 minutes.

Physically Iowa played head up with OSU for the first half, got completely dominated in the 2nd half. Against Northwestern Iowa did the pushing around for the first quarter and a half and got handled for the last 2 1/2 quarters. Wisconsin and MSU games were laughable, Iowa was completely outmatched. They did dominate Minnesota all game, but so did Michigan a week later. And they hammered Purdue, just like everyone else.

Your memory is quite odd. We did not get dominated in the trenches in the 2nd half of the OSU game. We got beat by speed on the edges. We averaged 6 yards a rush in the second half, albeit on 6 rushes.

Wisky didn't "completely outmatch" us. Somehow after three quarters it was 14-9 and the yardage stats were about even. They did break us in the fourth. MSU owned the LOS.

Iowa vs MSU, 1980. Game we qualified for the Rose Bowl, coldest game I ever endured in Kinnick, our family season tickets were 50 yard line very top row opposite press box. Couldnt feel my toes.

Your memory is quite odd. We did not get dominated in the trenches in the 2nd half of the OSU game. We got beat by speed on the edges. We averaged 6 yards a rush in the second half, albeit on 6 rushes.

Wisky didn't "completely outmatch" us. Somehow after three quarters it was 14-9 and the yardage stats were about even. They did break us in the fourth. MSU owned the LOS.

A big stack of THIS!

My memory may be odd. I'd be the first to admit, the results and path to get to the final result of both the MSU & Wisconsin games put me in a sour mood so my thoughts are probably a bit more negative than many others.

Regarding Ohio St, I felt that particularly Iowa's DL was outmatched by OSU in the 2nd half. Some plays were Miller doing his thing. Other plays I saw him have all day so he could have scrambled and killed Iowa or stood and there and done them in with his arm. So it was speed and physicality that doomed Iowa. Maybe Iowa was running better than I recall but if that was the case you would have thought KF would have kept running, particularly because he runs even when it isn't working a lot.

Either way, I'll defer to you. Mostly because you seem to be on the same page as that importankle dude is like the smartest guy ever. And if he says so, it must be.

I'd say OSU's run game had their way with Iowa in the 2nd half. Up the middle especially. If you remember differently, go back and watch again.

Northwestern also opened up a lot of holes, again, up the middle in the 2nd half.

I think this was due to Iowa insisting on not getting beat by running QBs. The need to play it safe and respect the edges left them vulnerable.

This is why, If I were UM, I'd show pass / draw look and let Gardner see if he can run. If he can't they can go back up the middle? meh nevermind - don't think so because their OLine hasn't gotten it done so far this year.

I expect short passes and sweeps from them. #athletesinspace

Iowa vs MSU, 1980. Game we qualified for the Rose Bowl, coldest game I ever endured in Kinnick, our family season tickets were 50 yard line very top row opposite press box. Couldnt feel my toes.

I was at that game with my Dad! 12 years old! We sat in the south endzone with the north wind blowing right up our Aces! COLD! Sure was great to get half time scores though and know if we won the game we were off to Rose Bowl! Good Day!

Actually 1981 but it was cold. I think tickets were $11. I also had top row seats.

Physically Iowa played head up with OSU for the first half, got completely dominated in the 2nd half. Against Northwestern Iowa did the pushing around for the first quarter and a half and got handled for the last 2 1/2 quarters. Wisconsin and MSU games were laughable, Iowa was completely outmatched. They did dominate Minnesota all game, but so did Michigan a week later. And they hammered Purdue, just like everyone else. So in B10 play, Iowa has been pushed around as much as they have done the pushing. So its difficult for me to say they have an edge over Michigan in the trenches. Its hard to consider your team physical in the trenches when a finesse team (Northwestern) handles Iowa's OL & DL for 35-40 minutes.
This is exactly correct. Spot-on post.

IIRC, the Nebby game was 26° at kickoff, with a windchill of 17°. The temperature will be colder, but what is the forecast for the windchill (I believe wind gusts last year of 35mph).

Negative 5 .

The high is now only supposed to be 20, so I'm guessing much colder than 23 at kickoff.

Man I'm from the south the coldest TN game i have ever been to was 38 degrees. Man its going to be cold at Kinnick. GO HAWKS!

Latest posts