Coker....legal

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about this..you create an account with your real name. Someone will send you the rumor, and you post it, with your name and where you work. In the event that what you heard doesn't turn out to be 100% factual, and someone comes to sue you for libel, I will have that information handy so that I can be sure to give you full credit, and liability.

Deal?

If someone says they heard rumor XYZ, they can be sued for libel if it's not true? I honestly don't know, but that would surprise me.

If someone says they heard rumor XYZ, they can be sued for libel if it's not true? I honestly don't know, but that would surprise me.
I do believe so, it's basically defamation....now if the police release a report detailing anything about Coker than it's open season.

If its something that is potentially harmful to a person's character, you darn right they can try. And whether or not that attempt proves in a successful libel suit, you spend a great deal of money defending yourself...so you lose either way.

My stance on these matters is not open for debate. Either stick to the policy, or please visit another website (this is a general statement, not necc. directed at one poster)

I do believe so, it's basically defamation....now if the police release a report detailing anything about Coker than it's open season.

Once things become a matter of public record, in any instance, then if folks want to comment on it that's fine as long as people stick to what is a matter of public record.

Even if you add the caveat that the rumor is only a rumor and may not be true?

I can understand the argument that propogating a rumor, even with protective language, can be just as bad as making one up. But usually the legal system draws fine lines around what is and isn't a crime/tortious, so this would surprise me that they'd see it all in the same light.

Jon

Enough people have their law degree from Iowa maybe if it happens you could get someone to defend you pro-bono :)

I would represent Mr. Coker pro bono to punish JD for the time he banned me. I have access to 400 junior associates to do my bidding. Think carefully, JD.

Even if you add the caveat that the rumor is only a rumor and may not be true?

I can understand the argument that propogating a rumor, even with protective language, can be just as bad as making one up. But usually the legal system draws fine lines around what is and isn't a crime/tortious, so this would surprise me that they'd see it all in the same light.

Look, it doesn't matter. You know my policy. If you feel you can't abide by it, then perhaps this site is not for you.

I would represent Mr. Coker pro bono to punish JD for the time he banned me. I have access to 400 junior associates to do my bidding. Think carefully, JD.

OK4P, you know that banning actually served a good purpose and you grew from it. You are a better person today for having gone through that experience, and you learned a great lesson from me; grace ;)

According to this article in the gazette:

Coker suspended from Insight Bowl | TheGazette

Coker doesn't appear to be under any type of investigation with the UofI Police or the ICPD, and no charges have been filed by the district attorney. Any ongoing investigation would have to be by the UofI or the athletic department at this point?

Based on the Gazette article, where is the legal trouble that KCJJ is reporting from?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.