Coaching issue

BurkeHawk

Watching from afar and it seems 3 MAJOR issues with Fran's coaching from my perspective:

1) similar to the old football narrative "if you have two quarterbacks, you probably don't have one", major college basketball teams cannot play 10= players. Pick the best 8-9 players and develop them and their playing style together
2) if you can't play defense you cannot be one of the top 8-9 players. Standing in front of someone is not defense - getting up into someone, playing off the ball, help defense, and hard work are all part of it
3) saving timeouts is stupid. If you're team is in a funk such as turning the ball over multiple times then CALL A TIMEOUT. Having timeouts at the end of a game when you are going to lose the game doesn't help.

All correctable but geez it seems so obvious to me

Here's my problem...and I'm giving Fran somewhat of a pass as he probably knew Southern would run out of gas. That being said, this is where I kind of lose my mind watching Franball.

Their best player gets two fouls, their coach leaves him in the ballgame. We do nothing to pick up the third foul...nada, zip, zilch, zero...why?

One last observation...if Jordan Bohannon can't play better defense...you can't play him the minutes he's playing. He struggled again against penetration...against Southern. The MO when you play against Iowa now is to let your guards penetrate and dish either to the basket or for wide open threes. Penetration...can't have it. We are terrible defensively in the backcourt.

One thing about the defense is that you have to deny the ball to the opponents top scorers. Prevent them from receiving a pass. Also when standing in front of an opponent with the ball, it is not enough to stand with your hands in the air. One has to place his hands strategically close to the ball and altering a clear line of sight to pass it.....

Plus we cannot leave the basket unprotected while jumping out to help on the perimeter, Too many times this had killed us. Happened a few times in the clone game. Nobody under the basket, leaving the area wide open for a player to receive a pass for an easy layup or slamdunk.....

:cool:

JB, most often, seems disinterested in playing defense...plus, he isn't that good at it...

This would be a bad thing when he is your only "PG" option...

JB, most often, seems disinterested in playing defense...plus, he isn't that good at it...

This would be a bad thing when he is your only "PG" option...

It seems like he's resting on his laurels. I think he got a pretty big ego after earning some recognition last year. Talking about playing in the Final Four and tweeting "RELAX" like he's Aaron Rodgers doesn't look good when you don't even cross half court after turning it over.

What's crazy is that every Iowa basketball fan I know keeps pointing out the same things. If we can all see the huge problems, why can't Fran? Is he stubborn, does he think that everyone analyst and fan is clueless? He keeps doing the same thing over and over and it's not working.

It seems like he's resting on his laurels. I think he got a pretty big ego after earning some recognition last year. Talking about playing in the Final Four and tweeting "RELAX" like he's Aaron Rodgers doesn't look good when you don't even cross half court after turning it over.

How do you know he has a pretty big ego? Do you know him? Have you been around him?

Kind of weak coming on a message board anonymously and taking shots at a college kid working his ass off for the school you supposedly support.

How do you know he has a pretty big ego? Do you know him? Have you been around him?

Kind of weak coming on a message board anonymously and taking shots at a college kid working his ass off for the school you supposedly support.

I'll leave this here for you in case you missed it:

Talking about playing in the Final Four and tweeting "RELAX" like he's Aaron Rodgers doesn't look good when you don't even cross half court after turning it over.

There really isn't much sense in posting anything...if the gold standard is personal, in depth, contact with a player or coach...

I don't know JB...but he appears to be disinterested...and doesn't appear to be a very good defender...although physically he doesn't appear to be a guy who can cover high quality PGs for an extended amount of time, anyhow.

The problem is more about recruiting...the roster...etc. etc...perhaps he is doing all he can...and the results are still disappointing and abysmal compared to what the players, Fran and lots of fans were expecting this year...so it seems.

Also Rob I never said I know he has a pretty big ego, I said I think he got a pretty big ego after getting some recognition last year. I explained why and a lot of it has to do with following him on Twitter and then watching him this year compared to last year. Last year he seemed to play with a chip on his shoulder while this year he appears to just go through the motions defensively and doesn't get back on defense after a turnover. Maybe he is a humble kid but I think it's fair to question some things after what he's put out there on social media. That's not taking shots at him.

Also Rob I never said I know he has a pretty big ego, I said I think he got a pretty big ego after getting some recognition last year. I explained why and a lot of it has to do with following him on Twitter and then watching him this year compared to last year. Last year he seemed to play with a chip on his shoulder while this year he appears to just go through the motions defensively and doesn't get back on defense after a turnover. Maybe he is a humble kid but I think it's fair to question some things after what he's put out there on social media. That's not taking shots at him.

And you've been so fair to Jordan Bohannon since he's been at Iowa.

Rob - You been kind of grumpy the last two days! Lol. :p

So you know someone and can make remarks based on what you see on social media? And saying he got a pretty ego based on recognition is say he has a pretty big ego. Same thing. It is taking a shot at him. But you have a history of that. He's proven you wrong and you don't like it.

So you know someone and can make remarks based on what you see on social media? And saying he got a pretty ego based on recognition is say he has a pretty big ego. Same thing. It is taking a shot at him. But you have a history of that. He's proven you wrong and you don't like it.

I don't think you have to know someone personally to form an opinion on them. I get that you develop relationships with these players since you are around them often but combining all the questionable stuff he's posted on social media with his effort at times on the court this year I don't think it's unfair what I said.

Is it possible that his plantar fasciitis is bothering him more than we are being told? I’ve seen him visibly limping in several games. I think with Connor’s injury he was playing more minutes than he probably should be.

I don't think you have to know someone personally to form an opinion on them. I get that you develop relationships with these players since you are around them often but combining all the questionable stuff he's posted on social media with his effort at times on the court this year I don't think it's unfair what I said.

You're making assumptions based on very little knowledge. That's dangerous.

Is it possible that his plantar fasciitis is bothering him more than we are being told? I’ve seen him visibly limping in several games. I think with Connor’s injury he was playing more minutes than he probably should be.

He has that? That's a naggy condition and can linger around. Yea, one isn't going to be able to plant a foot and push off very well dealing with that. Not a good injury/condition for a basketball player.

He has that? That's a naggy condition and can linger around. Yea, one isn't going to be able to plant a foot and push off very well dealing with that. Not a good injury/condition for a basketball player.

I can't believe how little this has been discussed. He is the one guy we can't afford to have injured and he's the one guy who we can't have lose some quickness. Yet this isn't talked about. This is probably hurting our team more than the Baer injury did. I can't wait for people to say it's just excuses.

Latest posts