Coaching issue

I expected Conner to start at PG from day 1. I never expected him to red shirt. Moss is a much better slasher from the SF position, than he is at the SG spot. If I'm going to put the best 5 players on the floor, IMO, it's,
Conner
Bohannon
Moss/Baer (split time)
Cook
Nungee
First off the bench is Baer, Dailey, Wagner, Kriener. That's my rotation.
Your one of the few to suggest that about Conner. I can't say I've heard anyone else that has said that about him. I haven't seen enough to suggest that yet and since his own dad hasn't done it then who are we to... You do know the reason he was going to redshirt was to play baseball right? and that he only dropped those plans for now because Williams transferred. I hope he grows into the spot because I love the taller/longer pass first pg type. I doubt he'll be any better then JBo at driving to the hoop I don't think he has those kind of quicks either but I think he can handle on the ball defenders better then JBo due to his size. JBo needs some help back there that's for sure.

Jordan was fine when he had a supporting cast... ie last season. He can't be Iowa's PG and floor general and also leading scorer, he's not good enough for that and very few players are. If you have no perimeter threat besides him, he's easy to guard.
I agree. I think there's going to be games where he is just due to him getting hot. But as a whole and how teams are defending him/team they are going to make someone else beat us. Moss to me is who's under performed and isn't carrying his weight out there. He not only has to take on scoring/defending but ball handling responsibilities. He needs to be able to dribble drive and setup scoring chances for others. He hasn't done much of any of that...

If you are referring to direct criticism of JBo, I completely agree. If you are talking about criticism of the program not having a real pt guard, then I don't agree. If the first, that's fair. If the 2nd, then you are really being a part of the "griping" problem yourself.

I don't know how adding CM at point really changes things. His bread and butter is moving to position to receive the ball. Iowa will have two extremely decent passes at guard at that point. In a sense it will be a 2 #2 set. as opposed to Michigan with a 2 #1 set. With CM in the lineup, he has a benefit of having a really good #2 if that #2 is healthy. CM will add nothing to breaking down D from the dribble. No team anywhere will be better at breaking down a D with passing. Both can shoot if open and have quick release. CM has a low release that will create problems for him, even over screens.

Passing into a big has weaknesses that good coaches will exploit and will lead to being destroyed against some really good teams. Cook will look really up and down and it will be mostly on this point. Iowa just doesn't have much in the way of scoring 1 on 1. Many are dependent on waiting for the d to overplay. The shot clock prevents that. This is a team made for a time when there was no shot clock.

I still think FM basically has what he wants unless he gets a stellar pt. Serviceable he doesn't seem interested in.

I just don't get why people jump on JBo, but people also jump on other guys, as well.

I DO get why people mare pissed about this season, though. Then again, I'm just not a fan of those summer tour deals. We seem to either come into the season lacking fire and hustle, or we end the season looking like there is nothing left in the tank. It's bad enough when people get overly optimistic during PTL "season".

Your one of the few to suggest that about Conner. I can't say I've heard anyone else that has said that about him. I haven't seen enough to suggest that yet and since his own dad hasn't done it then who are we to... You do know the reason he was going to redshirt was to play baseball right? and that he only dropped those plans for now because Williams transferred. I hope he grows into the spot because I love the taller/longer pass first pg type. I doubt he'll be any better then JBo at driving to the hoop I don't think he has those kind of quicks either but I think he can handle on the ball defenders better then JBo due to his size. JBo needs some help back there that's for sure.
I told everyone here, that he would play PG at Iowa, when he committed almost 3 years ago. Everyone doubted me because the scouting services had him listed as a 4* SF.
They all said " I think the scouts know better than you do". And yet...here we are with Conner playing PG.
I never believed he would red shirt. Not with our back court players. Here we are.
I thought he was going to start from day 1. I was wrong about that. But I thought he was better than any other option. I still do. And that's no knock on Bohannon, as I expected Bohannon to start at the 2.
Having "quicks" isn't nearly as important on the offensive end of the floor, as a PG. It doesn't hurt you but varying pace and being able to change direction in traffic is more important. IMO. I think we'll get that with Conner.
I've already said that Conner will be an immediate improvement to the line up but he won't make that big of a difference in Wins/losses. Our problems are on the defensive end. And it's at every position.

I told everyone here, that he would play PG at Iowa, when he committed almost 3 years ago. Everyone doubted me because the scouting services had him listed as a 4* SF.
They all said " I think the scouts know better than you do". And yet...here we are with Conner playing PG.
I never believed he would red shirt. Not with our back court players. Here we are.
I thought he was going to start from day 1. I was wrong about that. But I thought he was better than any other option. I still do. And that's no knock on Bohannon, as I expected Bohannon to start at the 2.
Having "quicks" isn't nearly as important on the offensive end of the floor, as a PG. It doesn't hurt you but varying pace and being able to change direction in traffic is more important. IMO. I think we'll get that with Conner.
I've already said that Conner will be an immediate improvement to the line up but he won't make that big of a difference in Wins/losses. Our problems are on the defensive end. And it's at every position.
There's no doubt that the improvement at the defensive end would cure a lot of what ailes this team. That said offensively they have their issues too. Namely turnovers and free throws...

I think it's pretty obvious why Iowa doesn't have a point guard.

No doubt in my mind that JBo is playing in pain where it shows more on D. When one player isn't right, it puts the others a step behind on D, not that FM teams are defensive juggernauts though.

I think it's pretty obvious why Iowa doesn't have a point guard.

No doubt in my mind that JBo is playing in pain where it shows more on D. When one player isn't right, it puts the others a step behind on D, not that FM teams are defensive juggernauts though.
No. Bohannon's defense was garbage last year too. He's just not quick enough to defend D-1 PGs. That's just a fact.

He hax never been good. There is a reason why its worse.

Anyone questioning his competitiveness is wrong.
I'm not questioning his competitiveness. If other posters question it because he doesn't hustle back after a bad pass that leads to a turnover....they have that right. And they are not wrong. You don't want people questioning your heart/desire/toughness, get your butt back down the floor after you make a mistake. If you aren't physically able to, due to injury, get your butt to the bench.

I'm not questioning his competitiveness. If other posters question it because he doesn't hustle back after a bad pass that leads to a turnover....they have that right. And they are not wrong. You don't want people questioning your heart/desire/toughness, get your butt back down the floor after you make a mistake. If you aren't physically able to, due to injury, get your butt to the bench.

Ever had a foot injury? There is no chance of catching the guy and if your foot hurts yiu dont do it. Due to recruiting to that point there was no other option at point. Its on Fran. No other person. Playjng over the summer was probably not smart. That is where leadersip is lacking....bench leadership known as coach.

Kreiner needs more playing time. Maybe he can do point.

Ever had a foot injury? There is no chance of catching the guy and if your foot hurts yiu dont do it. Due to recruiting to that point there was no other option at point. Its on Fran. No other person. Playjng over the summer was probably not smart. That is where leadersip is lacking....bench leadership known as coach.

Kreiner needs more playing time. Maybe he can do point.
I agree it's on Fran.

Fran has recruited Iowa well.
Is recruiting at a higher level overall.
He recruits quality young men.
He graduates all of his players.
He is winning way more games than he has lost over the last five years.
His teams play an up and down style that is fun to watch.
Fran will not have the University in any sniff distance of trouble with the NCAA or the FBI.
But, other than that let’s fire him.

Fran has recruited Iowa well.
Is recruiting at a higher level overall.
He recruits quality young men.
He graduates all of his players.
He is winning way more games than he has lost over the last five years.
His teams play an up and down style that is fun to watch.
Fran will not have the University in any sniff distance of trouble with the NCAA or the FBI.
But, other than that let’s fire him.
As long as you don't want conference titles or Sweet 16s and better........go ahead and hire Fran.

I've actually seen that exact same thing 3 times so far. It has become a bad habit.

Another turnover and then he just completely quits after it. I'm starting to wonder if he's just going to do it in almost every game down the stretch. I can't believe Fran let's it continue to happen.

Another one. He needs to get benched for a game if he doesn't get his ego in check. I'm sorry Jordan but you're not good enough to quit on plays and pout after a turnover.

Latest posts