CLone fans calling for BOR to get involved

Ozhawk

Clone fans are calling on the Board of Regents to Threaten to pull IOwa out of the Big 10 if ISU isn't invited.

Now that is desperation. Good grief if the BOR were stupid enough to attempt this they could be responsible for destroying the University of Iowa and ISU at that same time. Pulling out of the big TEN would destroy us on so many levels.

Not worried though but I can't wait to here the comments.

Yeah, it just isn't going to happen. As ISU is the low man on the totem pole for the Big 12, we are the low man in priority when it comes to the Big 10. The difference is that the Big 10 is an extremely well-off league that believes in the tradition of the conference. Iowa is not in the bargaining position Texas or maybe Oklahoma or Kansas are in where they can railroad conferences into taking the lesser universities (Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Kansas State) with them as package deals. ISU is probably in even worse shape than Kansas State.

you seriously think Iowa is the "low man" in the big 10? REALLY? Didn't Iowa just win a BCS game for the freaking conference?

There are no "low-men" on the B10 totem pole - that's why the B10 works so well (read: revenue sharing), and why the BXII is falling apart.

Let's not lump all clone fans in on this. There are one or two idiots who are bringing this up. Most of us realize that there is no bargaining chip here. In all other cases, (KU and KSU, Texas and Baylor, OU and OSU) the big school is also being added which gives the politicians a voice. Here Iowa and ISU have been split for years and there is no politician with a brain willing to suggest that Iowa risk their spot to help ISU get in.

Let's not lump all clone fans in on this. There are one or two idiots who are bringing this up. Most of us realize that there is no bargaining chip here. In all other cases, (KU and KSU, Texas and Baylor, OU and OSU) the big school is also being added which gives the politicians a voice. Here Iowa and ISU have been split for years and there is no politician with a brain willing to suggest that Iowa risk their spot to help ISU get in.
Good post. It's just not a remotely comparable situation. The only reason that the Texas legislature has any power here is that they can say "If you want Texas, you have to take Tech and A&M too." The BoR has no leverage here - the Big 10 already has Iowa. Jim Delaney would laugh his *** off if Iowa actually threatened to leave the Big 10 if ISU wasn't added.

mrolympia, no offense intended by my comments. I actually misspoke and Iowa is 10th (ahead of Northwestern). If you were going to form a league from scratch with teams from the Big Ten (no history at all), Iowa would be 10th on the list. The University of Iowa is the smallest public university in the Big 10 and Iowa is the smallest state.

Now luckily, the Big Ten is an equal partner conference as Bucketochicken stated. But I was thinking if Ohio State, Michigan or PSU tried to powerplay (they are in or we are out) another university into the league, how would the league react. While this scenario will never happen outside of an intellectual exercise, I think the response by the league would actually be similar to those schools as it would be to Iowa trying to strong arm ISU into the league. The Big 10 would allow the school to leave because the league is much stronger than any individual team. It is why the Big 10 will not dissolve and will only continue to get stronger with expansion.

Let's be honest ... we would be in crisis mode if we were in the same position as ISU right now. Luckily we are not, but have a little compassion. The scenario they are posting will not happen. It is just some fans trying to make a desperate attempt to get into the Big Ten. A noble try, but it just doesn't work because Iowa doesn't have the weight to be able to get ISU into the Big Ten with an ultimatum.

There are no "low-men" on the B10 totem pole - that's why the B10 works so well (read: revenue sharing), and why the BXII is falling apart.

I think that's a pretty fair assesment. When you think about it, there really isn't any reason why any one school would have any more or less "pull" than the other.

That applies more for the conferences internal affairs than anything else.

Let's be honest ... we would be in crisis mode if we were in the same position as ISU right now. Luckily we are not, but have a little compassion. The scenario they are posting will not happen. It is just some fans trying to make a desperate attempt to get into the Big Ten. A noble try, but it just doesn't work because Iowa doesn't have the weight to be able to get ISU into the Big Ten with an ultimatum.

This is the exact argument I was trying to make over there.

Saint Paul ends up agreeing with you and I, Shadasrevenge. It is just a couple of diehard fans not thinking clearly about the truth of the ISU situation.

you seriously think Iowa is the "low man" in the big 10? REALLY? Didn't Iowa just win a BCS game for the freaking conference?

There is no doubt that Iowa is in the bottom three of the big ten when it comes to finacial and academic importance to the conference. Out of the 10 publics, we are the smallest market in the smallest state with the smallest student population and alumni base.

The big 10 would be fine without Iowa, and if the BOR tried to blackmail the Big 10 to take ISU, they could drop us with little regret.

There is no doubt that Iowa is in the bottom three of the big ten when it comes to finacial and academic importance to the conference. Out of the 10 publics, we are the smallest market in the smallest state with the smallest student population and alumni base.

The big 10 would be fine without Iowa, and if the BOR tried to blackmail the Big 10 to take ISU, they could drop us with little regret.

Opinion or fact?

Let's be honest ... we would be in crisis mode if we were in the same position as ISU right now.
instead of crisis mode we are laughing.
Luckily we are not, but have a little compassion.
No thanks I only reserve compassion for humans and pets and other innocent mammals
It is just some fans trying to make a desperate attempt to get into the Big Ten.
A pathetic scene of desperation which is highly entertaining.
A noble try,
You are kidding right?