CJB, himself, on his health

I am going with a literal interpretation.

He's a little banged up but its nothing serious. If his body heals the normal way you expect somebody to heal, he should be ok by Sat, but if he had to go today, he would be limited in what he could do.

So he thinks he will be ok by Sat.

I fully expect to see Winger (she's only seeeeeventeen) trot onto the field Saturday to open the game followed by a remaining season of what could have been. We just can't have nice things.

Correct. It is an immutable law of Iowa football and basketball. Ronnie Lester. '87 Hoops v. Cheaters. '85 Rose Bowl. Brad Banks v Iowa State. Rick Stanzi v. Corey Wooton '09.

Yikes....that actually made me feel worse....not a baseless rumor....something is up.

He sure was non-committal...I believe we are going to see Mr. Wiegers get his first start in quite possibly the biggest game of the year....on the road....my stomach is starting to turn....

Maybe they'll just have Canzeri run the wildcat offense all game. And I'm sure he can throw a 5 yard pass every once in a while too.

1234931504682.jpg

​HE GONE

By wording it "I think"... it can't be a lie, it's an opinion.

Look, it's just a three second blurb from a kid, so I don't want to read too much into it, but that is exactly how folks justify making misstatements. I've seen it a thousand times - the more certainty levied on the back end of a knowledge qualified statement, the less I tend to believe whatever they say because they are trying to draw attention away from the knowledge qualifier. If someone says "I think the financial statements are correct" I don't think they're hiding anything, but if someone says "I think those financial statements are absolutely pristine and would leave a team of auditors at KPMG with no questions because they are so perfect" I expect that there is a missing reserve for 10% of the value of the company for product warranty claims or something like that. Maybe I am imputing CJ with a higher degree of intellect than he has and Billso is right.

Per Keith Murphy's Facebook page.
"With rumors flying, Iowa QB CJ Beathard tells reporters in Iowa City he is sore/banged up, but fully expects to play Saturday at Northwestern. Beathard says he can't discuss specifics of any injury.
(Thank you to Register's Chad Leistikow for the relay.)"

Look, it's just a three second blurb from a kid, so I don't want to read too much into it, but that is exactly how folks justify making misstatements. I've seen it a thousand times - the more certainty levied on the back end of a knowledge qualified statement, the less I tend to believe whatever they say because they are trying to draw attention away from the knowledge qualifier. If someone says "I think the financial statements are correct" I don't think they're hiding anything, but if someone says "I think those financial statements are absolutely pristine and would leave a team of auditors at KPMG with no questions because they are so perfect" I expect that there is a missing reserve for 10% of the value of the company for product warranty claims or something like that. Maybe I am imputing CJ with a higher degree of intellect than he has and Billso is right.

AKA

"To the best of my knowledge..."

"As far as I know..."

"As it stands now..."

"From what I can tell..."

image.png

What worries me is that most (but not all) of the time when someone puts a knowledge qualifier ("I think") on a certainty ("I'll be out there for sure") it means they are lying. A sociopath will just lie "I'll be out there for sure" and someone who isn't injured and is positive they'll play will likewise say "I'll be out there for sure" but someone with a moral compass and who doesn't want to tell a direct lie will add the knowledge qualifier. You see it all the time in business negotiations and depositions. I'm terrified - far more concerned than if he had said nothing at all.

It could be part of the "New Kirk".

They could be just playing with NW. If the cats think he's a little dinged up they may think Iowa will only run the ball so CJB doesn't take any hits.

It feels dirty just writing that though thinking KF would ever do this But you never know.

Yikes....that actually made me feel worse....not a baseless rumor....something is up.

He sure was non-committal...I believe we are going to see Mr. Wiegers get his first start in quite possibly the biggest game of the year....on the road....my stomach is starting to turn....

CJ acknowledged he is dinged up but gave no specifics other than to say it's not serious. In that case, it may not be his call whether he gets cleared to play -- it's the medical staff's. The coaching staff has probably told him not to say whether he can play or not. And that's smart coaching. Why give the upcoming opponent -- in this case, the hated Fatty Pitz -- a clue on the questionable status of a key player so he can game plan for his replacement?

I agree with OK4P -- CJ's comment is more troubling than reassuring. My hunch is that CJ will come out for warm ups Saturday in street clothes. Young Mr. Wiegers, make the best of your first B1G start.

CJ might think he knows whats going on, but my inside source is deep inside CJ's body in some kind of miniature vessel and he sees what going on and its not good.

CJ acknowledged he is dinged up but gave no specifics other than to say it's not serious. In that case, it may not be his call whether he gets cleared to play -- it's the medical staff's. The coaching staff has probably told him not to say whether he can play or not. And that's smart coaching. Why give the upcoming opponent -- in this case, the hated Fatty Pitz -- a clue on the questionable status of a key player so he can game plan for his replacement?

I agree with OK4P -- CJ's comment is more troubling than reassuring. My hunch is that CJ will come out for warm ups Saturday in street clothes. Young Mr. Wiegers, make the best of your first B1G start.

If Beathard was hurt seriously, i don't think they would have allowed him to be interviewed. It's encouraging that he made it through the game against Illinois. Beyond that, we are all guessing.

When the heck did this all come about. Did he even look injured last Saturday? Anybody see him with a gimp in his running.

Is this a ploy to goof with N'western?

If Beathard was hurt seriously, i don't think they would have allowed him to be interviewed. It's encouraging that he made it through the game against Illinois. Beyond that, we are all guessing.

Dude's getting shellacked at least a dozen times per game.

Fatty Pitz is gonna blitz the hell out of The Ceej (assuming he's out there) and try to knock him from the game.

These gd tackles better strap in.

When the heck did this all come about. Did he even look injured last Saturday? Anybody see him with a gimp in his running.

Is this a ploy to goof with N'western?

He had ice packs wrapped around his hip and groin. Dude got lit up hard. He's injured, it's just a question of how badly.

He denied the sports hernia thing.

No doubt he is beat up...but if they didn't think he was going to play, I doubt he would have been out there taking questions...and no, Kirk does not want them speaking specifically about injuries.

Latest posts