CJ Fredrick

Add Eli King (4 star) to the list for ISU......reportedly down to us and ISU. Talk about two programs heading different directions with recent recruiting. Fences are getting mended pretty quickly in Ames.
That fence needed/needs a lot of mending. I’m fine rolling with Ulis, Perkins, Patrick and the Murray boys against whatever they have coming. That’s 5 freshmen next year plus the Brit and 2 more on the way. 8 freshmen!

Moss did rather well at Kansas

Started most of the games and was always in at crunch time
I guess I didn’t think about the fact he’s leaving because he’s getting passed on the depth chart. But folks bringing up Moss makes it obvious now. Cool! Now I’m really pumped. Good luck CJ.

Only quoted your post because of Moss mention...

It would be very frustrating if they were winning and we were losing. But Iowa and Keegan had a much better year than ISU and XF.
That's kind of my point though. We have been winning a lot more than them but they're still getting all of these recruits and we're doing the opposite.

That fence needed/needs a lot of mending. I’m fine rolling with Ulis, Perkins, Patrick and the Murray boys against whatever they have coming. That’s 5 freshmen next year plus the Brit and 2 more on the way. 8 freshmen!
They’re doing what they can at this point. Don’t think anyone with reasonable expectations is expecting them to be a tourney team next year. My point is about current recruiting results and filling needs. They’re doing it coming off 2-22. We’ll see what Fran can do.

P.S. Without JB and JW I wouldn’t be surprised they knock us off in Ames next season.

Freddy will be missed

I will miss his threes with seconds remaining on the clock
just before halftime

His mid-range jump shots that always seemed to go in

His drives, near the end of the shot clock

And his underappreciated D

Like Moss, his D wasn't noticed all that much because he didn't block
shots

Whomever he was guarding seldom scored

He played a step back, not tight, and his hands and feet were always in place
preventing a clear shot or a drive-by

He was quite similar to Moss in that respect

Hope he is successful wherever he lands

F Calipari

I don't post much anymore, in fact, this will be my last. If your team is ranked in the top 10 consistently throughout the year, are #2 seed and get beat easily by a #7 seed in the second round, your team's coaching and recruiting will never make it to the Sweet 16. So if you are a competitive athlete who wants to get into the 2nd week of the NCAA tournament, Iowa is not for you.

I will be back when we get a new coach, if I live that long. It just isn't fun anymore.
I guess we'll be seeing ya then! Or, maybe not...

Agreed. That's what will make it tough for Iowa. They have a lot of guys who are solid college players who will never sniff the league. If you have 2 years to go, would you rather (a) be a starter who gets torched on defense and watch Fran McRedface ream you out en route to yet another early exit from the tourney or (b) go somewhere where you will be used sparingly off the bench but have a chance to nail a dagger three pointer or ice some FTs that puts your team into the Final Four behind some McDonald's All American freshmen?
I heard the rumor a couple of months ago which I posted from a source I knew, if he is to believed, it actually is a personality issue with Fran. After his prediction came true on the portal, I don't see any reason to disbelieve him now.

Agreed. That's what will make it tough for Iowa. They have a lot of guys who are solid college players who will never sniff the league. If you have 2 years to go, would you rather (a) be a starter who gets torched on defense and watch Fran McRedface ream you out en route to yet another early exit from the tourney or (b) go somewhere where you will be used sparingly off the bench but have a chance to nail a dagger three pointer or ice some FTs that puts your team into the Final Four behind some McDonald's All American freshmen?

uhhh... players want to play - they don't transfer to willingly sit on the bench.

no way

I heard the rumor a couple of months ago which I posted from a source I knew, if he is to believed, it actually is a personality issue with Fran. After his prediction came true on the portal, I don't see any reason to disbelieve him now.

I can't help but wonder if this isn't the underlying reason. I don't believe for 1 second he is leaving just because he feels he will get a better shot at a NC at Kentucky. I can't help but wonder what was running through his mind every time he went to the bench and then watched Patrick come into the game and take his spot in the lineup. This is where Patrick and Connor being the coaches son really sucks, anybody playing behind these 2 guys have to feel a part of it is because they are the coaches son.

Freddy will be missed

just before halftime

shots

F Calipari
Every team would like to have a player like him. He's not an explosive athlete. He wasn't jumping over guys and dunking on them. He used ball fakes and jab steps to create space well. He's a little limited when it comes to creating his own shot against guys as big as he is that are more athletic. Teams like Oregon could give him fits. Wish we knew the honest story of what's what with him though. He was vague as all get out and Iowas statement was 10 x more vague.

I don't post much anymore, in fact, this will be my last. If your team is ranked in the top 10 consistently throughout the year, are #2 seed and get beat easily by a #7 seed in the second round, your team's coaching and recruiting will never make it to the Sweet 16. So if you are a competitive athlete who wants to get into the 2nd week of the NCAA tournament, Iowa is not for you.

I will be back when we get a new coach, if I live that long. It just isn't fun anymore.
Bye!

I can't help but wonder if this isn't the underlying reason. I don't believe for 1 second he is leaving just because he feels he will get a better shot at a NC at Kentucky. I can't help but wonder what was running through his mind every time he went to the bench and then watched Patrick come into the game and take his spot in the lineup. This is where Patrick and Connor being the coaches son really sucks, anybody playing behind these 2 guys have to feel a part of it is because they are the coaches son.
I’m not saying Patrick never sub’d in for CJ, but Patrick wasn’t taking minutes away from CJ. They didn’t even play the same position. Connor played because he was our best post entry passer and it wasn’t even close. It’s probably a great idea to effectively feed the NPOY the basketball in the post with somebody who can actually do it. I get it, some people are butt hurt by Fran and his kids, not saying you in particular, but it shouldn’t have anything to do with playing time. Patrick will be a bigger star for this team than CJ could have been. Just my opinion on that last point.

Fredrick played 25 minutes a game on average this season and if you were to take out all the games he tried to play in and couldn't, it would probably be closer to thirty. He started from his very first opportunity here and would have next year as well. His playing time was only dependent on his health. He can't use that as an excuse to leave.

I’m not saying Patrick never sub’d in for CJ, but Patrick wasn’t taking minutes away from CJ. They didn’t even play the same position. Connor played because he was our best post entry passer and it wasn’t even close. It’s probably a great idea to effectively feed the NPOY the basketball in the post with somebody who can actually do it. I get it, some people are butt hurt by Fran and his kids, not saying you in particular, but it shouldn’t have anything to do with playing time. Patrick will be a bigger star for this team than CJ could have been. Just my opinion on that last point.

But teams figured out how to half ass guard Luka. Actually, they keyed on Wieskamp. I've stated before and truly believe Iowa at times got tunnel vision getting Garza. Playing NC early in the season, the Iowa team was loose and many contributed.

By the end of the season, they were keying on pretty much Garza and the balance wasn't there.

Fredrick played 25 minutes a game on average this season and if you were to take out all the games he tried to play in and couldn't, it would probably be closer to thirty. He started from his very first opportunity here and would have next year as well. His playing time was only dependent on his health. He can't use that as an excuse to leave.

Actually I heard on the radio last night that the Frederick camp might not have been impressed with how his planter fascitis was handled and thought the injury could have been handled better.

He wants to play for KY. I don't blame him. KY>Iowa. But this is how the transfer portal is going to work. The rich will get richer and programs like Iowa will get raided for the talent that Fran saw early on. This has happened twice now and frankly could have happened with Luka or Jok or White. Fran gets a 3 star that none of the blue bloods want, he builds them up, turns them into a player the blue bloods would love to have and then they shit on the hand that feeds them. That's just the way life is. This doesn't make Fran a bad recruiter, it makes places like KS and KY way more attractive to play at since they actually CAN now.

Freddy will be missed

just before halftime

shots

F Calipari
Well said, I read all the way down to the last sentence, and I laughed hard. Thanks for making my day! Keep up your good work.

He wants to play for KY. I don't blame him. KY>Iowa. But this is how the transfer portal is going to work. The rich will get richer and programs like Iowa will get raided for the talent that Fran saw early on. This has happened twice now and frankly could have happened with Luka or Jok or White. Fran gets a 3 star that none of the blue bloods want, he builds them up, turns them into a player the blue bloods would love to have and then they shit on the hand that feeds them. That's just the way life is. This doesn't make Fran a bad recruiter, it makes places like KS and KY way more attractive to play at since they actually CAN now.
The bottom 4/5ths of every conference are going to be the minor leagues for the other 1/5th.

I'll watch until the poaching happens a few times and then I'm out. Better shit to do. Not mad; just indifferent. I'll fill that void with high school basketball and start following our two local conferences. Hell, every HS game is livestreamed in my area anyway for free.

Part of the fun of being a college sports fan is arguing with your buddies and people on message boards about coaches, recruits, players, etc.

But now, it's not even remotely interesting to discuss a kid like Mulvey coming in, or whether an existing player will pan out, etc., because if they do have success there's a greater chance than not that they'll be splitsville anyway.

You can't even say like, "I'm intrigued by this team 'cause in a few years I think they'll [fill in the blanks]..." because every year the guys who don't feel like they're getting enough PT are gonna jump, good players are going to get poached, and we won't know who the transfer kids are until the last minute and likely won't be long term anyway.

A poster above said things weren't gonna change for the worse because look at the 3 point rule, dunk rule, freshman rule, blah blah blah. Welp, that's complete horseshit. This transfer rule is gonna kill 80% of the basketball programs out there from the fans' perspectives (football will be somewhat different because adapting to a new system in FB isn't as easy). Every year it's a brand new team and you can't even hope for breakout players with a lot of success.

I mean, how fucked up is it that we can't even root for a guy to come out of his shell and become a 20 PPG scorer for the Hawkeyes? That's just fuckin bonkers as a fan. There's a reason they put the transfer rule in place the way it was, and we are about to get a crash course in it. I'm 100% onboard with NIL and allowing athletes to make money and be paid. But this rule has nothing to do with that and it's gonna crush college sports unless you already root for Dook, Bayler, Gonzaga, Kansis, etc.