To develop

Time to move on

The Portal has Fucked college basketball

It is a shadow of its former self and will get much worse

Might as well start paying players as they do the pros

FatCat Hawkeye supporters will have to empty their pockets

For the Hawks to field a quality championship contender

Alas
This is where I am. I hate losing CJ Fred, BUT, he was riddled with injuries while at Iowa. SO, maybe Iowa is better on the long run getting a player providing more consistent minutes. Guess I am a half glass full guy.

I actually don't remember CJ being particularly injury prone. He missed a key stretch of games mid this last season, but my understanding is that was plantar fasciitis... something which I have first hand knowledge of being an ailment that can crop up really bad, clear up, and then never show it's face again.

Oh I think that makes a really big difference. One doesn't just driver back and forth for 14 hours in a day no sweat. So yeah that's pretty significant when you factor in how many times they'd like to do it but just wouldn't due to that. Nunge gets zero grief for going there from me. Absolutely none
You're right, well said. It sounds ridiculous, but I really wasn't thinking about it in practical terms - i.e. the difference between a 14 hr round trip vs a 7-8 hr round trip. The former is an arduous 2-day overnight affair, but the latter can realistically be done pretty comfortably as one (long) day.

It's a bigger difference than I gave it credit for. I think I had some preconceived notions of how close "close" would be.

And, of course, I'll say again I wish Jack nothing but the best. He deserves some good breaks coming his way.

The Portal hasn't necessarily fucked college BB. Hardly in fact.

I'm old enough to remember when freshman were first allowed to play varsity, dunks were outlawed then re-allowed, the shot clock came into being and then reduced from 45 to 35 seconds, the emergence of the basketball camps, and the 3-point line being established, then extended, etc.

Every one of these changes to college BB was heralded as the beginning of the end for the game. And every chicken-little was wrong. The game evolves. The successfull coaches and programs evolve with it.

I'm old enough to remember when freshman were first allowed to play varsity, dunks were outlawed then re-allowed, the shot clock came into being and then reduced from 45 to 35 seconds, the emergence of the basketball camps, and the 3-point line being established, then extended, etc.

Every one of these changes to college BB was heralded as the beginning of the end for the game. And every chicken-little was wrong. The game evolves. The successfull coaches and programs evolve with it.
You make a reasonable counterpoint, I think. We're pretty fragile, collectively, as a fan base right now I think. Easy to start letting your imagination running towards worst case scenarios at times like that.

One thing is, there will be a bunch of programs in Iowa's position (i.e., having to learn how to adapt to a situation where there are higher prestige, more successful programs pilfering your best players). Obviously, it would be great to not have to worry about that...but, that's the direction the wind is blowing, so either adjust your tack or learn to love life at the bottom of the standings.

Here's the other thing. Think about this from the player's perspective. There's no contracts. There's no (real) money to be made. Even at programs like Kentucky where you know they are paying at least their top tier guys, I tend to think it's not "independent wealth" type cash. It's more like "a little extra spending money and car for your mom" kind of money - enough to get you through a little more comfortably until you are draft-eligible, in other words.

To make a long story longer, these guys really don't owe these programs anything. They're essentially free agents. Sure, we all love it when we see a guy who really, truly seems to bleed Black and Gold like we all do. That's great, but it's not something that can be forced, relied upon, or tested/assessed with any degree of reliability. It's really an individual personality thing on the players' part as I see it.

When Coach Cal (or, more likely, Coach Cal's proxies) came knocking at CJs door, we all would have liked to believe he would have made his back rigid, thrust his chin in the air, straightened up his letter jacket and said "I, sir, am a Hawkeye. I bid you good day." But it's clearly not like that for CJ. The grass looks greener on the other side to him, he had an opportunity, and he took it. He's out nothing other than leaving a bunch of disappointed Hawk fans in his wake but, let's face it, none of us have any bearing whatsoever on how the rest of his life will play out. CJ's never going to have any meaningful contact with any of us.

It sucks, but CJ's not breaking any rules or causing any real harm. Again, he's a free agent. He's taking his talents elsewhere.

Dude, I initialy thought that as well being a Hawk fan, but you really need to take the blinders off and look at the history of success of Iowa in basketball. I posted in a thread some time back that Iowa pretty much ranks with NW as the two teams at the bottom when showing conference titles in like 25 or 30 years. Add to that the lack of getting to the tournament or making the Sweet 16. It's bad bud!

Google some of the historical results.
Thus my comment a few weeks ago when some were mocking other schools........ “Who you pointing fingers at.”

Of course Not referring to you Mel.

For some, Sometimes honesty can be brutal.

I have been a life long Iowa Hawkeye fan, Chicago Bears fan, and Chicago Cubs fan.

I also like it when people water board me or tear my fingernails and toenails off with pliers.

Last edited:
I don't post much anymore, in fact, this will be my last. If your team is ranked in the top 10 consistently throughout the year, are #2 seed and get beat easily by a #7 seed in the second round, your team's coaching and recruiting will never make it to the Sweet 16. So if you are a competitive athlete who wants to get into the 2nd week of the NCAA tournament, Iowa is not for you.

I will be back when we get a new coach, if I live that long. It just isn't fun anymore.

His getting into the lane at times could be attributed to having Garza, JW and JBo spacing the floor too. He often would receive a pass where his defender was scrambling to recover and he could easily fake and dribble drive to make his move. He's not a quick tall long armed fast athletic guy that was beating guys with his first step. He beat guys by playing smart coming off screens and always moving too.

CJ is the kind of player where the more he was asked to handle the ball and make plays the more diminishing returns we'd have seen with his efficiency. He's a smart player that rarely tried to do more then he was capable of. But a lot of his driving lanes and open shots were largely due to the guys around him. Of our top 7 or 8 guys I bet he touched the ball the least just about. He didn't dribble much for a guard or play make. It's not his game. Which is fine.

As far as playing like he did in HS goes most guys aren't able to continue playing that same way. The competition doesn't dictate that. He's not going against a bunch of 6'1 slower unathletic guys now. I think his ceiling style wise is what we saw of him for stretches. He'll occasionally have a big game but low double figures scoring is about what he'd get for an average I think.
I disagree. My take is more in line with PC. CJ can handle and has an all around game.

Pretty easy to see the portal world favoring those coaches who are noted as strong recruiters. I don't see that playing into our staff's strengths necessarily.

I can see why Fran doesn't like the change.
This was my initial thought. But wait until the big boys start recruiting the top HS kids to put the transfers on the bench. I’m not sure what this mess looks like long term. But it’s a mess and could ruin college basketball for me personally.

This may be true for you and many others. But the grad transfer was bad enough...already have seen how that works. This is grad transfer on steroids. The game will survive. I’m just not going to enjoy it as much...if at all.

Yeah those that already have it had it out for Fran would certainly do it I'm sure. And with the rumor mill being what it is in college hoops anymore it seems like where there's smoke there's fire. I almost started to think he wasn't leaving because till now these rumors had been out there for more then a month and he hadn't left yet. So who knows. Every story is unique every kid can do what they want. So just ride the wave.
I assume he wanted to be 100% on the new transfer rule since he’s already redshirted.

Think about this: there are only so many roster spots on any given college team. The reason the portal is so busy is because good players are not getting playing time.
If Fran plays his cards right, we have a good chance of landing some damn good players.
Molding them into a team with leadership and chemistry is another matter.
Bullshit.

The vast majority of it is players who think they’re better than they are not getting the playing time they think they should.

It’s why you see 100 kids leave college early for less than 60 spots in the draft after you consider international players

One of Fran’s biggest issues is getting guys to the league. CJs camp felt like it wasn’t going to happen playing at Iowa. This transfer has apparently been in the works for awhile.
This stuff never gets old to read. Some Iowa fans are like the girls that audition for American Idol that can’t sing for shit and look like Danny Trejo and think that they have a shot at being famous. CJ has 0% chance of playing in the NBA.

Thus my comment a few weeks ago when some were mocking other schools........ “Who you pointing fingers at.”

Of course Not referring to you Mel.

For some, Sometimes honesty can be brutal.

I have been a life long Iowa Hawkeye fan, Chicago Bears fan, and Chicago Cubs fan.

I also like it when people water board me or tear my fingernails and toenails off with pliers.

Well, it's really quite odd as a fan, especially of a team that typically ends their seasons in and around the middle. On the surface, it feels like they are competitive and somewhat successful. BUT, when you take a deep dive into history and look at the data and numbers, it's worse than one realizes. This is the case with Iowa basketball the past 30+ years.

That's when I say to people they have to take the blinders off. It's not to be an ass to them, it's to really point out that it's not as good as it seems.

I don't post much anymore, in fact, this will be my last. If your team is ranked in the top 10 consistently throughout the year, are #2 seed and get beat easily by a #7 seed in the second round, your team's coaching and recruiting will never make it to the Sweet 16. So if you are a competitive athlete who wants to get into the 2nd week of the NCAA tournament, Iowa is not for you.

I will be back when we get a new coach, if I live that long. It just isn't fun anymore.
The best regular season in 35 years was the last straw for not watching anymore huh?

Latest posts