CJ Fredrick health?

Followed up with his uncle. It is a low ankle sprain but CJ has pain high as well.

As I said, these things aren't always black and white and are tricky injuries.

But, by all means, you guys continue speculating and guessing when he'll be back. ;)
But they're always black and blue!!!

Joe Fredrick called in to the All Hawkeyes podcast and talked for a good 15 minutes. It's worth a listen. He's a well spoken guy. It's a couple days old now so the info on CJ is old, but still really good.

Hold home court without him on Thursday. No sense rushing him back for MSU since we have about 0.00005% chance of winning that game on the road. Then just hope he can be back for Penn State or Purdue if we're lucky.

Hold home court without him on Thursday. No sense rushing him back for MSU since we have about 0.00005% chance of winning that game on the road. Then just hope he can be back for Penn State or Purdue if we're lucky.

The wise thing to do would be to rest him until the Michigan State game or wait until the Penn State game on the 29th.

That would give almost 2 extra weeks to heal. It is essential that we have him for the BTT and The Dance. We have a solid chance of beating the Buckeyes Thursday at Carver without Freddy

With or without Freddy, it will be most difficult to defeat the Spartans in Lansing

Of course, if the team medics and Fran think he is good to go, he will be playing against Ohio State

If we can get through tomorrow with a win and a CJ not having a setback, I'll be feeling pretty good about the rest of the year.

Dang, here I was ruling him out for the rest of the season. It would be incredible to see him back in uniform tomorrow.

If it really is a high ankle sprain, then it would have been better if he'd just have broken it. It may be 4 months until he's right if that's the case.....
When you break an ankle depending on the severity of the break you will be six weeks in a cast minimum. Then rehab say a couple months so I highly doubt a broken ankle is better than a high sprain. Often surgery is necessary to reconstruct the ankle joint. Speaking from experience on this one.

Either way this is great news as it really seemed like this would be a multiple week injury. Personally I’d say hold him out until the Penn State game the following week but obviously they have medical experts on staff to make the right decision.

If he's cleared to play I hope he does, if he isn't I hope he doesn't. Fran's pretty cautious - the U of I is pretty cautious with it's student athlete's injuries. I don't think they put winning games in front of their players health. So that said, if he's clear, play him.

Rest him until after the MSU game. We need him 100% for the tourneys.

If he's cleared to play, you gotta play him. There is a really good chance he doesn't re-injure it and helps us get a way better seed in the tournament. If he does re-injure it, there is a really good chance he can still get back in time for the tournament. It's only been one week since he hurt it. If he plays tomorrow and hurts it, he still has 4 weeks until the tournament. Basketball players never wait until their ankle is 100%.

Got an update this morning. Doesn't sound like he's ready, which isn't surprising. Could have been some gamesmanship on Fran's part as well, planting a seed in Holtmann's head.

As others have said, it's good news he's progressing at a nice pace.

Latest posts