Chris Williams reporting Iowa offers Utoff

I have very little concern about his weight at this point. His game is not a banger. He has offensive skills shooting and handling the basketball. He is not yet a senior in high shool and he weight 190. The player that I heard him compare most often to was Gordon Heyword(sp?) from Butler. Heywood's freshman year he was listed as 6"8" 200. Utoff at 6"8" 190 with 1.5 years before he plays in college is not a big concern with his type of game IMO. Would added strength help him yes and he is working on it.

He is also pretty good around the basket. I might describe him as unorthodox but effective near the hoop. I could easily see him developing into one of those guys that is frustrating to guard because you can't figure out why he is tearing you up.

I agree with the majority here. There are very few big men that show up to college campuses with the complete package. If they have the frame, it seems they lack footwork. If they have footwork, their hands suck. And so forth. I have never seen Utoff play, but from what I have heard he has most the attributes you are looking for except for the weight and strength. And he has plenty of time to continue working on that until he shows up to college.
Great offer.

+1

Anybody remember a guy named Kevin Durant? He came into Texas weighing something like 210. I think hes 6"9. ( Im not saying hes Kevin Durant trust me) Just saying maybe he could be like a small forward if he has the handles and use his height to his advantage. Im guessing in a couple years he could put on 20 pounds or better. I like the offer

Several folks out there are projecting that both Utoff and Oglesby are projected as top 100 players in their class. Hope we can land them both.

What folks are saying that? Scout just dropped their top 100 a few weeks ago and neither Uthoff or Oglesby are on the list.

I wouldn't put them in the top 100. Oglesby maybe somewhere in the 125-150 range and Uthoff maybe somewhere between 150-175, maybe. And those would be respectable rankings for them, but they are not top 100 material.

Singed by dudes that haven't played college ball in 20 some years? Not a real convincing argument, and its quite possible college ball has changed. Any good kid should be able to contribute right away. Might not dominate, or even be good, but should contribute.

right.

These guys were horrible (not trying to pile on) until their Jr./Sr. seasons. Then they were good enough for the NBA. What has changed in the last 20 years that says you can't develop players, or you have players that need development? I guarantee you one thing that has changed is that the level of B10 BB has gone DOWN since that era, and that should tell you something about your argument. And who recruited those two players?

If you think that Iowa is at the level were a true freshman big man has to contribute right away, what have you been watching? If the coaches who recruited those two players thought it was OK to recruit a big that needed development time, that is good enough for me.

Singed by dudes that haven't played college ball in 20 some years? Not a real convincing argument, and its quite possible college ball has changed. Any good kid should be able to contribute right away. Might not dominate, or even be good, but should contribute.

What!?! We don't need him to play right away. It would be great if he can red-shirt and get in the weight room & gain muscle & mass. Then play some as a RS frosh and gain experience and minutes each year.

Just because a kid redshirts does not mean he is not good. Your logic that "any good kid should be able to play" is not logical or accurate.

Sure the one and done players are talented and would be nice to have, but we need to build a program. You do this with players that develop and improve over their 4 or 5 years in the program.

If you can supplement these players with the one and done or two years and done talent, then great....but don't expect every frosh with a scholly to come in and contribute every year, and if they don't, it does not mean they aren't any good!!

What!?! We don't need him to play right away. It would be great if he can red-shirt and get in the weight room & gain muscle & mass. Then play some as a RS frosh and gain experience and minutes each year.

Just because a kid redshirts does not mean he is not good. Your logic that "any good kid should be able to play" is not logical or accurate.

Sure the one and done players are talented and would be nice to have, but we need to build a program. You do this with players that develop and improve over their 4 or 5 years in the program.

If you can supplement these players with the one and done or two years and done talent, then great....but don't expect every frosh with a scholly to come in and contribute every year, and if they don't, it does not mean they aren't any good!!

Yes, because 5th year seniors have made such an impact here at Iowa, around the Big 10, and across the country. Oh wait, most kids that red-shirt aren't very good. It turned out all right for Looby and Hansen but they were both 7 feet. But if we are serious about competing we need to recruit kids that can play as freshman. That is the nature of college of basketball. With transfers and kids going pro you need kids that can contribute as freshman.

right.

These guys were horrible (not trying to pile on) until their Jr./Sr. seasons. Then they were good enough for the NBA. What has changed in the last 20 years that says you can't develop players, or you have players that need development? I guarantee you one thing that has changed is that the level of B10 BB has gone DOWN since that era, and that should tell you something about your argument. And who recruited those two players?

If you think that Iowa is at the level were a true freshman big man has to contribute right away, what have you been watching? If the coaches who recruited those two players thought it was OK to recruit a big that needed development time, that is good enough for me.

Things that have changed? More roster volatility. Most All-Conference types turn pro before senior year. Transfers are common. Players appear less willing to red-shirt and sit and weight for 3 years. Many teams don't have 13 scholarship players every year. Athleticism, especially amongst Bigs, is very necessary today.

If we want to compete we need to recruit players that can play as freshman. Of your 13 scholarship players a couple of can be the development type, but the majority should be ready to play as freshman.

While things have changed the Wisconsin model is still being used very effectively by Bo Ryan. He has had numerous players redshirt, play small roles in the their first two years and then start as Junior and Seniors. Brian Butch is a classic example. Get a big with some skill and give him one year to mature and be patient. Very few big guys can make a big impact in their first year on campus. The key is finding big guys with skill who have the right attitude to work on their game.

Brommer and Cougill are guys that a redshirt may have really helped. Of course neither was as highly ranked as Butch coming out of highschool but the point stands. Both have skills (Cougill good hands and shooting touch, Brommer quickness and hustle) but also both have big holes in their game (Cougill conditioning and Brommer footwork around the basket). Hopefully in 2011 Brommer, Basabe and Cougill will have stepped up their game enough to take the pressure off the 2 bigs we will probably bring in and allow Fran to redshirt one of them.

If it isn't a good thing then you are questioning the Iowa staff. I think they get the benefit of the doubt until they do something to lose it.

I would argue with the top big men going into the pros after one year in college(Cousins,Favours ect), and with Iowa not in contention for top 100 type big men very often, redshirting is even more critical than in the past. Virtually every big man in the country would benefit from a red-shirt. Reiner was top 35 overall,and he could have used a redshirt. Gorney,Hansen,Stokes,..every big man we have ever had needed it,outside of may Mike Payne.
Unfortunately,we have been in a catchup mode the last decade and never bit the bullet like Wisky did with Butch. That redshirt begat redshirts for Bergrenn,Gavinski,among others at Wisky. Watching some of the 2009 game vs Wisky, Leuer was a sophmore,and he looked so skinny,yet I remember being shocked at how much stronger he looked from the year before in Wis midnite madness. Leuer has gotten much bigger since that game...and is a stud. If he had taken a redshirt he would be coming into his junior year and dominate the league for two years. But he was too good right away so Bo had to let him play.

Cougill and Brommer are classic cases...lick should have bit the bullet and redshirted them. Woodbury,if we get him, again,should be able to redshirt,if we had redshirted Cougill,we would not need him immediately. At some point we need to just do it.

Uthoff will be playing on the wing in college from everything I have read. And this is coming from people who know a lot more about the situation than I do. And he'll gain some weight.

Uthoff will be playing on the wing in college from everything I have read. And this is coming from people who know a lot more about the situation than I do. And he'll gain some weight.

Eric Katenda would be my first choice for this spot, but I'd also rather have Ross Travis at the wing then because he is way more explosive, has better handles and is as good of a shooter as Uthoff. Why the heck didn't Travis get an offer???

Eric Katenda would be my first choice for this spot, but I'd also rather have Ross Travis at the wing then because he is way more explosive, has better handles and is as good of a shooter as Uthoff. Why the heck didn't Travis get an offer???

Apparently he has had a few health troubles. Back problems IIRC, that have caused him to miss significant time.

Latest posts