Chris Jans - New Mexico State

If Wisconsin gets Jans I will toss my cookies. But hey, he's an Iowa native, played at Loras. It would be Wisconsin's revenge for Iowa hiring Tom Davis, who grew up in Ridgeway and prepped at UW Platteville.

Bottom line however, Gard isn't going anywhere. He's safe. By the way, Gard is from Cobb, not far from Ridgeway. In fact the area between Dubuque and Madison is an absolute coaching cradle. Dick Bennett lived in Mineral Point for a time and started his coaching career there. Wisconsin high school coaching legends Jim Meyers and Jeff Pustina are from Barneveld and Highland respectively.

Last edited:
WVHS had some great athletes back in my day. Won back to back state championships in football, and solid in basketball.

As I mentioned before Jans could shoot from anywhere. But having Curt Lau down on the block and Borschel (sp) inside as well helped free up Jan's

I miss curt lau. Class act all the way. Died way too soon. Man he could make me laugh.

Love him or hate him Jans knows how to coach. He's developed a winner at every stop, starting @ Kirkwood. Not that I have any idea as to what major boosters are thinking as far as making a change with regards to Fran or Barta I'm just afraid that Jans will be on his way up to other places. That is unless he's willing to bide his time for when we do look for a HC.

What are the programs Jans has been developing?

Jans did not build the NMSU program. That has always been a great program. Jans' predecessor Paul Weir left for New Mexico and has yet to duplicate the one great season he had at NMSU. Marvin Menzies was just fired by UNLV three years after leaving NMSU. Only one coach has ever left success at NMSU and been successful elsewhere, Lou Henson.

His last HC stop was Bowling green where he stayed for 1 season and let them to the CIT.

Someone is going to hire him but I think he's fools gold. Without the stability of programs like Wichita State and New Mexico State around him to take advantage of he's more likely to be average than good and along with that will come the headaches of his personal character issues.

Jans did not build the NMSU program. That has always been a great program. Jans' predecessor Paul Weir left for New Mexico and has yet to duplicate the one great season he had at NMSU. Marvin Menzies was just fired by UNLV three years after leaving NMSU. Only one coach has ever left success at NMSU and been successful elsewhere, Lou Henson.

His last HC stop was Bowling green where he stayed for 1 season and let them to the CIT.

Someone is going to hire him but I think he's fools gold. Without the stability of programs like Wichita State and New Mexico State around him to take advantage of he's more likely to be average than good and along with that will come the headaches of his personal character issues.

Kirkwood, Bowling Green St went from 12-20 to 21-12 in Jans one season there and they went back to sucking after he left. The success he has had at NMST is not with Paul Weir players, I think there is one left that is playing any significant minutes (Eli Chuha), he's using mostly players that he has recruited. Yeah other coaches have had success at NMST but none of them ever won 30 games and I don't think it's a fair assessment judging Jans based on how other coaches have done and I think UNLV is dumb for firing Menzies.

SMH. Ask the WSU coach if Jans is fools gold.
Jans found almost all those players!!!!
AND personal character issues?
The guy was at a bar when a lady was talking to him at the bar.
After talking she told him to “slap her ass.”
He did. And ironically her “friend” was recording it.
What a terrible man.
Give me a f’n break.

That depends. Is Jans supposed to have P5/BIG caliber recruits on his team? Because IF Jans were hired at Iowa and he still recruited at a mid major level, like Fran, we would in fact want him fired after said loss.
First off you can recruit mainly mid-majors and have them for 4 years and put together a pretty impressive team IF you coach them up...not to 200th in defensive efficiency for 3 seasons straight. We may indeed want him fired after 9 years and no improvement. You wanna Coach in the Big Ten? It's not charity....it's not Bernie Sanders universal pay program....$$$ are for overachievers. You must be a Bernie Sanders supporter.

SMH. Ask the WSU coach if Jans is fools gold.
Jans found almost all those players!!!!

That's a great point, last seasons 25-8 WSU team graduated a bunch of seniors and another left for the NBA. This years team was made up of a bunch of freshman but their 2 leading scorers are seniors and they finished 19-14. Jans probably had a big hand in the WSU recruiting.

First off you can recruit mainly mid-majors and have them for 4 years and put together a pretty impressive team IF you coach them up...not to 200th in defensive efficiency for 3 seasons straight. We may indeed want him fired after 9 years and no improvement. You wanna Coach in the Big Ten? It's not charity....it's not Bernie Sanders universal pay program....$$$ are for overachievers. You must be a Bernie Sanders supporter.
I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Nor do I understand your Bernie Sanders comparison to college coaching. Try again tomorrow when you've sobered up.

The Aggies' most notable game was a 63-60 loss to then-No. 2 Kansas on Dec. 8 in Kansas City. NMSU led by seven points with 10:45 to go, earning the respect of Jayhawks coach Bill Self.

"New Mexico State was better than us," Self said at the time. "They were quicker, but they are quicker; physically they are quicker."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/preview?gameId=401123402

Something else caught my eye as one of the weirder stats I've ever seen. They only have 1 player averaging in double digits at 11.3ppg. But everyone contributes significantly to their win shares and every guy with significant minutes is a plus defender with a defensive rating under 100.

Care to elaborate? I can get away with checking scores from work, but I think my boss might notice if I start openly watching the games.
Auburn player basically flipping Aggie player into air by continually backing into him. Officials called Aggie player for the foul. It reminded me of when we were in that bahamas tourney a while back.

Auburn player basically flipping Aggie player into air by continually backing into him. Officials called Aggie player for the foul. It reminded me of when we were in that bahamas tourney a while back.

Bad memories. But at least they're keeping it close. Never been a Bruce Pearl fan.

Jans stating that the final layup that was passed up for a 3 point try and the win, if it goes in "it is an Ali Farokhmanesh moment and that will be remembered forever. That’s what happens in the NCAA tournament." Loved the reference from a NE Iowa guy at heart!

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Nor do I understand your Bernie Sanders comparison to college coaching. Try again tomorrow when you've sobered up.
You should change your screen name lightning implies speed and being quick in wit. You obviously lack both

Latest posts