Chicago Cubs 2015 Thread

Because top prospects are almost never called up in April if they start in the minors. Strasburg, Wieters, Trout, Bruce, Profar, Harper etc. all the big name prospects had to bide their time for a few months before getting the call.

I find it it very hard to believe that the Cubs will hold Bryant back just because. The only reason he is starting the season in the minors to begin with is because of the CBA, not his performance. They'll bring him up as soon as they can, barring any injuries or setbacks.

I find it it very hard to believe that the Cubs will hold Bryant back just because. The only reason he is starting the season in the minors to begin with is because of the CBA, not his performance. They'll bring him up as soon as they can, barring any injuries or setbacks.

Actually it isn't only because of the CBA. Theo doesn't have Rookies make the opening day roster if they have never played on the Big league club, he has never done it before in 13 years, with some great talent. If you start him at the big club and he struggles and you have to send him down to get right, now you have wasted 2-3 months. Instead you let him start in AAA, stay hungry, rip the cover off the ball, and call him up when he is game ready (spring training ain't the real deal). That is why the Players Union collectively bargained the way it did, as hardly any rookies at all start at the MLB level to start the year.

Epstein told ESPN on Thursday that he prefers young players to make their debuts in-season, which was his approach with Dustin Pedroia and Jacoby Ellsbury during Epstein's tenure as general manager of the Boston Red Sox.
"I've never put a guy on an Opening Day roster who hadn't played in the big leagues previously. In 13 years, I've never done it," Epstein told ESPN. "I'm not saying I'd never do it, but the general rule, the presumption, is to allow those guys to go out, play, get comfortable, get in rhythm, and come up when you handpick just the right moment for them to have success."

Yeah he says that but do you really think he would start a rookie in the majors on day 1 under the current format? I seriously doubt it. Hell if he isn't going to do it with Bryant, he isn't doing it with anyone. I don't see how Bryant could have done any more to prove he is big league ready and he's still not coming up yet. For the record though, it's the right decision.

Yeah he says that but do you really think he would start a rookie in the majors on day 1 under the current format? I seriously doubt it. Hell if he isn't going to do it with Bryant, he isn't doing it with anyone. I don't see how Bryant could have done any more to prove he is big league ready and he's still not coming up yet. For the record though, it's the right decision.

He says it and he has done that for 13 years now. I'm not sure what else could convince you, if 13 years of track record doesn't, nothing will.

He says it and he has done that for 13 years now. I'm not sure what else could convince you, if 13 years of track record doesn't, nothing will.

OK maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say. What I'm saying is the only reason he's starting Bryant in the minors is because of the CBA and you said that's not necessarily the case. I took what you are saying as it is at least partially performance-based. I'm saying I don't buy that as Bryant's performance is clearly big league worthy and he is still starting in the minors.

Theo said that there is a chance that he may allow a rookie to break camp in the majors down the road but I call BS unless something changes with the current format.

I would be shocked if he were up before May. I would be surprised if he's up before the middle of May.

Prepare to be shocked, he will be up April 21st or so. Can't do it after exactly twelve days but very soon after. Similar situation to Evan Longoria who made his debut April 12th, 2008.

I will be genuinely surprised if Bryant does not make his regular season MLB debut in either Pittsburgh or Cincinnatti. If I had to put a bet down on a specific date, I would bet on the April 20 game to open the Pittsburgh series.

If he starts off well, the Cubs will try and offer him a long term deal early...just like Castro and Rizzo and even the aforementioned Longoria. Who knows, they may have already talked to him about this some. However, with Boras as his agent this could be difficult which forces the Cubs to make this move even the more so.

If he starts off well, the Cubs will try and offer him a long term deal early...just like Castro and Rizzo and even the aforementioned Longoria. Who knows, they may have already talked to him about this some. However, with Boras as his agent this could be difficult which forces the Cubs to make this move even the more so.
I get that Boras is just doing his job, and getting his players the most money possible, but it's guys like him that have taken away from the game over time. I know it's really old fashioned, but I loved it when players played for the same team for most of their career. Not that it still doesn't happen, but it's becoming less frequent than it used to be. It's tough to give someone a huge 10 year guaranteed contract without getting burned.

I get that Boras is just doing his job, and getting his players the most money possible, but it's guys like him that have taken away from the game over time. I know it's really old fashioned, but I loved it when players played for the same team for most of their career. Not that it still doesn't happen, but it's becoming less frequent than it used to be. It's tough to give someone a huge 10 year guaranteed contract without getting burned.

Definitely more fun to have guys stick with teams for the fans.
I crack up at some of the Cubs players like Lester upset that Bryant got sent down. Don't give me all this crap about winning etc. now, because whenever players have the chance to take the most money they do 99% of the time so don't get all butt hurt when the team does what's best for them in these cases. Bryant got a $6.5 million bonus when drafted too so its no like he's in the poor house.

Definitely more fun to have guys stick with teams for the fans.
I crack up at some of the Cubs players like Lester upset that Bryant got sent down. Don't give me all this crap about winning etc. now, because whenever players have the chance to take the most money they do 99% of the time so don't get all butt hurt when the team does what's best for them in these cases. Bryant got a $6.5 million bonus when drafted too so its no like he's in the poor house.

No kidding, and it is for guys exactly like Lester that the MLB Player Union collectively bargin away things for younger players. They do this for a reason, they want to keep the truckloads of money backed up to their Lester's home, NOT some 23 year old rookie.

These Millionaire players crying over fairness really pizz me off. If teams didn't have to waste Billions of dollars on overinflated guaranteed prices for the player, then maybe a family could actually afford going to games.

No kidding, and it is for guys exactly like Lester that the MLB Player Union collectively bargin away things for younger players. They do this for a reason, they want to keep the truckloads of money backed up to their Lester's home, NOT some 23 year old rookie.

These Millionaire players crying over fairness really pizz me off. If teams didn't have to waste Billions of dollars on overinflated guaranteed prices for the player, then maybe a family could actually afford going to games.
You hit the nail on the head. Salaries are out of control and these guy crying about unfairness is a complete joke.

Prepare to be shocked, he will be up April 21st or so. Can't do it after exactly twelve days but very soon after. Similar situation to Evan Longoria who made his debut April 12th, 2008.

I would bet money confidently that he won't be in Chicago before the middle of May.

I would bet money confidently that he won't be in Chicago before the middle of May.

Oh man, how much you want to put on this? ;)

So the new videoboard is up at Wrigley. sigh. I don't mind new clubhouses and some signage just not a fan of this. Wrigley was literally the last ballpark or stadium of any kind in the country you could actually go to a game with your dad and just talk in between innings and soak in the ballpark. That is part of the draw of baseball, just being with your dad or buddies and taking in a game and talking about life. I was at a game in KC last year, not a bad park, but the constant "noise" between innings and minor league shenanigans made it hard to just talk and enjoy your family. Constant media noise and stimulation is just getting old...kids can' t keep their attention spans more than 10 seconds without something to entertain them. Call me old school, but I loved the organ music and atmosphere of Wrigley.

I didn't realize Lester had the yips with his pick off move to the first. When did this happen? It is almost Steve Sax, Mackey Sasser like.

Cardinals are full of Pros, just not other way to put it. They have perhaps the best 2 strike hitting approach of any team I've seen, their guys just battle. They also took advantage on the basepaths as trj mentioned, Lester has to figure that out and keep guys close.
I for one am ready for Russell to be the SS. The Castro experiment is just getting old. Twice last night he just let the ball go in to CF on stolen base attempts without trying to knock it down. Outfield may be his best spot but that is filling up soon too. I really think Castro gets traded if we get a good offer for him. He can hit, but SS is just not his spot.
Going to be real interesting to see what we do with all the pieces, I don't really think they can do much until they figure out where they want Bryant on the field and go from there.

Latest posts