Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

I just get nervous. They tell me the farm system is loaded. I can't see it yet. Did the win lots of various league titles last year at the A and AA levels?

They put a lot of bank into Castro, Castillo, Rizzo that has not worked out 100%. Investments don't always turn out how you think and it seems wer really investing in potential. I am ok with that but why not in fill with some more ready made tallent. The Cubs are a major market team now with spending well into the bottom third of the league. Feel like a more diversified approach would have produced better returns on the field and not saw a 120K reduction in attendance and 100 losses last season.

Daytona won the Florida State League (high A) and Tennessee won the 2nd half division title in AA. This is the best the farm system has looked since 2002, and that farm system helped the Cubs come within a game of the World Series. With the payrolls and salaries spinning out of control you will see teams putting more emphasis on developing home grown talent than trying to buy free agents. To steal a line from Moneyball "If we try to play like the Yankees in here, we will lose to the Yankees out there."

If you ever visit Bleacher Nation there is a terrific article explaining the Cubs financial situation. A very good read for all Cub fans.

Daytona won the Florida State League (high A) and Tennessee won the 2nd half division title in AA. This is the best the farm system has looked since 2002, and that farm system helped the Cubs come within a game of the World Series. With the payrolls and salaries spinning out of control you will see teams putting more emphasis on developing home grown talent than trying to buy free agents. To steal a line from Moneyball "If we try to play like the Yankees in here, we will lose to the Yankees out there."

If you ever visit Bleacher Nation there is a terrific article explaining the Cubs financial situation. A very good read for all Cub fans.

How much did the farm system have to do with that 2003 team?

C- Damian Miller
1B- Karros/Simon
2B- Grudzilaniek
SS- Gonzalez
3B- Ramirez
LF- Alou
CF- Lofton
RF- Sosa

Prior
Wood
Z
Clement
Estes

Remlinger
Borowski
Farnsworth

A lot of the pitching was brought up through the farm system but barely any of the position players were. It seems like all the highly rated position players either got traded, injured or didnt develop (Choi, Patterson, Hill, etc.).

Prior and Zambrano were big reasons why the farm system was rated so high back then. Patterson had one of his best seasons as a Cub before he got injured in that 2003 season. Bobby Hill, a top 100 prospect, helped the Cubs get Ramirez and Lofton. In other playoff runs Choi helped the Cubs get DLee.

The farm system should not be used just to fill holes on the MLB team, but also to acquire players from other teams.

Link? jk :)

I understand what they're trying to do, it's just frustrating not seeing any type of results yet is all. Hopefully they'll come along and we'll start seeing results within the next few seasons.

Glad to see the win on Sunday.

I think the frusteration is the fact they come at fans with the idea of saying we are not trying to be competitive this year. Like i am not asking for a WS win every year but geez put sombody on the field that play ball at a big league level.

Already talks of Jeff and Bonifacio getting dumped to teams that are looking to win.

Glad to see the win on Sunday.

I think the frusteration is the fact they come at fans with the idea of saying we are not trying to be competitive this year. Like i am not asking for a WS win every year but geez put sombody on the field that play ball at a big league level.

Already talks of Jeff and Bonifacio getting dumped to teams that are looking to win.

I still hold out hope that they can extend Shark. Bonifacio is surplus at this point, he will not be a long term asset and they probably get more out of him than either Barney or Sweeney.

I still hold out hope that they can extend Shark. Bonifacio is surplus at this point, he will not be a long term asset and they probably get more out of him than either Barney or Sweeney.

Agreed, he brings a decent bat, speed on the bases, and versatility being able to play infield and outfield. If he can stay healthy he could have great value at the deadline for a contender.

The I-Cubs got rocked 30 to 3 in the first 3 games. Can I order 2015 World Series tickets now? Monkeys will fly out of Epstein's *** first.

The I-Cubs got rocked 30 to 3 in the first 3 games. Can I order 2015 World Series tickets now? Monkeys will fly out of Epstein's *** first.

The organization is just sand bagging on purpose. Other teams we'll never know what hit 'em once we actually start competing for realz, yo.

It does not help that the only player on the team who is hitting consistently is Vitters and I am guessing he will be in Chicago just as soon as they can figure out how to get rid of Ruggiano.

It does not help that the only player on the team who is hitting consistently is Vitters and I am guessing he will be in Chicago just as soon as they can figure out how to get rid of Ruggiano.

Hopefully Vitters can stay healthy. Last season just stunk for him having 4 trips to the DL. He struggled in 2012 with his first crack at the big leagues, like many young players, but he's been a productive hitter in all of his minor league stays. It sure would be nice if he could become a steady contributor for Chicago later this year and into the future.

Yeah, the loss last night was a bummer but it was nice to see Castro hitting and having his first multi homer game of his career. It appears Castro is back to his old self at the plate, swinging at about anything he thinks he can hit, but it looks like he might have more power.

I hate losing but at least they seem more fun to watch when they are hitting.

Yeah, the loss last night was a bummer but it was nice to see Castro hitting and having his first multi homer game of his career. It appears Castro is back to his old self at the plate, swinging at about anything he thinks he can hit, but it looks like he might have more power.

I hate losing but at least they seem more fun to watch when they are hitting.

As a White Sox fan, I have suffered thru a 2013 where they pitched ok, but hit like arse. I agree, offense makes losing a bit better.

Cubs are going to have to find someone that can close out games. Veres, the anointed closer, has been nothing short of awful. I thought Strop might be the answer, but he gave up a couple of dingers late last night in a win. Do they have anyone that can get those final three outs without a lot of the drama that Cub fans are used to?

Cubs are going to have to find someone that can close out games. Veres, the anointed closer, has been nothing short of awful. I thought Strop might be the answer, but he gave up a couple of dingers late last night in a win. Do they have anyone that can get those final three outs without a lot of the drama that Cub fans are used to?
Maybe Joe Borowski is available

SHOOTER! Is Beck still partying in a RV at Sec Taylor or did he head down to Mexico with Kenny Powers?

Latest posts