Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

So very Cubs like tonight. 3 runs on 13 hits, give up tying run, then strike out the NL MVP with the bases loaded

So very Cubs like tonight. 3 runs on 13 hits, give up tying run, then strike out the NL MVP with the bases loaded

Two games, two 1-run losses. Also very Cubs-like. Reminds me of another team I root for.... Oh well, I didn't expect anything from the Cubs this year, but it's amazing how consistently bad they are in close games.

Sounds more like the kid didn't pan out. You can say they now have better prospects but if this guy was voted the best and then didn't progress what is to say others wont do the same. I love the Cubs but until I see wins this is like when we were all pumped about he Hawks deep bench. Ultimately means nothing.

That is what I would think. If Nick Struck was that good, why on earth would you flat our release him instead of trading him so that you get something in return?

Two games, two 1-run losses. Also very Cubs-like. Reminds me of another team I root for.... Oh well, I didn't expect anything from the Cubs this year, but it's amazing how consistently bad they are in close games.

I watched the game when we were ahead 3-2, 2 out, bottom of the 12th, only to give up the tying run on a 3-2 count right down the freakin' pipe...I shut the tv off, chuckled a little, and got a good nights sleep....gonna be a long season (again) Cub fans....I just hope they get something put together long term, so they can at least contend before I die.....:)

I watched the game when we were ahead 3-2, 2 out, bottom of the 12th, only to give up the tying run on a 3-2 count right down the freakin' pipe...I shut the tv off, chuckled a little, and got a good nights sleep....gonna be a long season (again) Cub fans....I just hope they get something put together long term, so they can at least contend before I die.....:)

I thought it was safe to fall asleep after the Cubs had gone up 3-2. I wake up this morning, check the box score thinking, "there's no way they really could've lost last night, right?......."

Just absolutely brutal being a Cubbies fan. :(

That is what I would think. If Nick Struck was that good, why on earth would you flat our release him instead of trading him so that you get something in return?

Yeah, same thing I was thinking too. If a prospect is that good, you don't just release him without getting anything in return. The Cubs farm system is not THAT loaded.

I saw a commical post on Twitter. If the Cubs were in the NHL, they would have 2 points. Would be tied for 2nd place and would be on a 2 game point scored streak.

cubs-win-flag.jpg

I can't understand why Castro got a green light on a 3-0 Tuesday. He is 0 for 9 now.

Wouldn't it have been a good idea to start him in Iowa after being out with hamstring problems? He'll probably really tear it up after the Cubs trade him some day.

On the bright side a few guys are swinging the bat well and the pitching has been good.

Yeah, same thing I was thinking too. If a prospect is that good, you don't just release him without getting anything in return. The Cubs farm system is not THAT loaded.

I never said he was *that* good, but it is not very often a guy goes from being the 2012 minor league pitcher of the year to being cut less than 18 months later. Last season they tried to change Struck's delivery and it did not work out. The Cubs already have 7 pitchers at AAA that could be starting, decent looking prospects, and there was no room in AA. The farm system has taken a big step forward this year, most notably the upper levels.

I never said he was *that* good, but it is not very often a guy goes from being the 2012 minor league pitcher of the year to being cut less than 18 months later. Last season they tried to change Struck's delivery and it did not work out. The Cubs already have 7 pitchers at AAA that could be starting, decent looking prospects, and there was no room in AA. The farm system has taken a big step forward this year, most notably the upper levels.

SSCK, we are in good shape for a nice run (in a few short years)...the future is looking very bright...Go Cubs

I just get nervous. They tell me the farm system is loaded. I can't see it yet. Did the win lots of various league titles last year at the A and AA levels?

They put a lot of bank into Castro, Castillo, Rizzo that has not worked out 100%. Investments don't always turn out how you think and it seems wer really investing in potential. I am ok with that but why not in fill with some more ready made tallent. The Cubs are a major market team now with spending well into the bottom third of the league. Feel like a more diversified approach would have produced better returns on the field and not saw a 120K reduction in attendance and 100 losses last season.

I just get nervous. They tell me the farm system is loaded. I can't see it yet. Did the win lots of various league titles last year at the A and AA levels?

They put a lot of bank into Castro, Castillo, Rizzo that has not worked out 100%. Investments don't always turn out how you think and it seems wer really investing in potential. I am ok with that but why not in fill with some more ready made tallent. The Cubs are a major market team now with spending well into the bottom third of the league. Feel like a more diversified approach would have produced better returns on the field and not saw a 120K reduction in attendance and 100 losses last season.

If I understand correctly, the Ricketts' are paying for the Wrigley renovation with private funds, rather than being funded by the city. So I think basically they are not in a great position to do a lot of spending until the renovation is done, which will result in some new forms of revenue that will cover the cost of the renovation and also allow the Cubs to sign on a higher payroll. In other words, it doesn't sound like we should expect much spending until this is complete. The contract with the rooftop owners across the street is severe sticking point on the whole thing. Last I've read, I thought they were hoping to get underway with the renovation after this season.

The renovation includes the new jumbotron that will provide a lot of this new revenue by way of advertising dollars, which happens to be the sticking point with the rooftop owners (blocking their view or not). Also a new clubhouse, better facilities, etc. which I've always heard has been a problem with signing top players, when said players can get much better facilities anywhere else in the league. The stadium is in dire need of an overhaul.

If I'm not mistaken, I also think the Cubs' partnership with WGN may be coming to an end, so a new TV contract will apparently have to be made at some point as well.

Others who follow closely can correct me and/or add more to what I just wrote.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, the Ricketts' are paying for the Wrigley renovation with private funds, rather than being funded by the city. So I think basically they are not in a great position to do a lot of spending until the renovation is done, which will result in some new forms of revenue that will cover the cost of the renovation and also allow the Cubs to sign on a higher payroll. In other words, it doesn't sound like we should expect much spending until this is complete. The contract with the rooftop owners across the street is severe sticking point on the whole thing. Last I've read, I thought they were hoping to get underway with the renovation after this season.

The renovation includes the new jumbotron that will provide a lot of this new revenue by way of advertising dollars, which happens to be the sticking point with the rooftop owners (blocking their view or not). Also a new clubhouse, better facilities, etc. which I've always heard has been a problem with signing top players, when said players can get much better facilities anywhere else in the league. The stadium is in dire need of an overhaul.

If I'm not mistaken, I also think the Cubs' partnership with WGN may be coming to an end, so a new TV contract will apparently have to be made at some point as well.

Others who follow closely can correct me and/or add more to what I just wrote.

The video board advertising is chump change compared to what they'll get from their tv deal. It won't be as big as the Dodgers deal, but it probably won't be too far off either.

Glad we arn't spending so Tom can build video board, a boutique hotel, and pay parking ramp accross the street. Structural improvements and a upadate clubhouse / press area I get but the rest is just B.S. IMO. The Dodgers and Yankees don't have boutique hotels. Tom has gone about these renos pretty poorly and really polarized a once pretty unified group. The rest be it as it may but times seemed a lot happier before Tom can and the Cubs still wern't winning that much.

The attendance since Ricketts bought the Cubs

2009 - 3,168,859
2010 - 3,062,973
2011 - 3,017,966
2012 - 2,882,756
2013 - 2,642,682

That is 526,177 bodies not coming through the games of Wrigley

Say average ticket price is $50 X (526,177) that is $26,308,850 lost it ticket sales alone in 1 year!

Say average merch / food spend it $15 a head X (526,177) ther is $7,892,655

That is almost $35 Million in lost revenues. That is easily over 1/3 of the cubs total payroll this year.

Wished they would of put in a pitch hitter for Castro. Castro just looks totally out of sink in the box.

The attendance since Ricketts bought the Cubs

2009 - 3,168,859
2010 - 3,062,973
2011 - 3,017,966
2012 - 2,882,756
2013 - 2,642,682

That is 526,177 bodies not coming through the games of Wrigley

Say average ticket price is $50 X (526,177) that is $26,308,850 lost it ticket sales alone in 1 year!

Say average merch / food spend it $15 a head X (526,177) ther is $7,892,655

That is almost $35 Million in lost revenues. That is easily over 1/3 of the cubs total payroll this year.

Can you post the team records for each of those seasons. I think you'll find a pretty big correlation.

The Plan is still intact. The revenues from the TV deals are the key...but will not be totally realized until the Comcast deal expires in 2020. Til then, it is a slow build and lots of losing. This years Cubs offense is looking very weak right now. I doubt that changes until the prospects start to arrive in June of next year.

Latest posts