Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

You probably won't be seeing any huge signings for another year or so. The plan has been to build up the farm system until the renovations and new tv deal are done. Then with a bigger budget to work with, go and get some vetran players. I'd guess the 2016 free agency is when you will see them go after some bigger fish. Like bogeyman mentioned, OF and pitching are what they are likely to go after.

I think they may go after one big signing as far as a pitching goes this off-season and then focus on position players the season after, because like somebody pointed out earlier, there aren't a whole lot of big name players as far as position players go. The free agency pool of pitchers looks to be pretty promising though for this upcoming off-season.

I think they may go after one big signing as far as a pitching goes this off-season and then focus on position players the season after, because like somebody pointed out earlier, there aren't a whole lot of big name players as far as position players go. The free agency pool of pitchers looks to be pretty promising though for this upcoming off-season.

When you think about it, if you believe reports, we offered Smardz somewhere between $18-20/yr million for 5 years. So we have the money allotted for a big contract for a pitcher. What I like is the fact we got 3 very good prospects for Smardz, and can still go out and sign a pitcher with the allotted funds. So instead of Smardz for say $100mil, we will get ____ for $100-120mil PLUS 3 TOP Prospects. Win Win. Gotta believe Theo will go after Lester hard being a Sox guy.

When you think about it, if you believe reports, we offered Smardz somewhere between $18-20/yr million for 5 years. So we have the money allotted for a big contract for a pitcher. What I like is the fact we got 3 very good prospects for Smardz, and can still go out and sign a pitcher with the allotted funds. So instead of Smardz for say $100mil, we will get ____ for $100-120mil PLUS 3 TOP Prospects. Win Win. Gotta believe Theo will go after Lester hard being a Sox guy.

I think this is exactly right. Also if they sign a free agent this year, they won't lose draft picks as they will be a bottom 10 team. If they waited until winter 2015, when they won't be a bottom 10 team, they would have to give up a pick for signing big free agents.

Went to the game yesterday afternoon, was hoping Solar was gonna be playing, but he didn't. Beaz is hitting really well lately. Bryant knocked in 3, but it was on a can of corn that the OF lost in the sun (should have been an out).

Went to the game yesterday afternoon, was hoping Solar was gonna be playing, but he didn't. Beaz is hitting really well lately. Bryant knocked in 3, but it was on a can of corn that the OF lost in the sun (should have been an out).
I may take my boys tonight. Hoping Solar will play.

Heading to Chicago for Sunday's game. Cubs-Cards is always fun.

Current Cubs farm system one of the best historically? Great comments from Baseball America. Of course, they have their "ifs and buts" but the point about how many players they have considered to be "top prospect", who tend to pan out, we're in for one heckuva ride fellas.
http://www.bleachernation.com/2014/07/24/is-the-chicago-cubs-farm-system-historically-good/

People need to realize just how good Theo has done stockpiling talent considering A) the farm system wasn't near where it should be when he took over and B) the rules for how much you can spend on draftees etc. all changed (for the worse if your us) right after he came to Chicago. Crossing my fingers they pan out now...

First 9 Padres reach base and score in the 6th and the only thing I can think of is Go **** Yourself San Diego

First 9 Padres reach base and score in the 6th and the only thing I can think of is Go **** Yourself San Diego
Or maybe we can picture Rin saying Go **** yourself Edwin Jackson.

On a positive note, big night for Javy Baez in Iowa tonight.

Least shocking stat of the year:

Jeff Samardzija has as many wins in 3 weeks with the A's as he did in 3 months with the Cubs.

Also to note on salaries, we finally get $14 million off the books this year owed Soriano. Also the 2.3 for Barney will be gone. Edwin Jackson is the lone "bad" contract we have right now. We also have a few other guys likes Scherholtz we won't owe. In other words, there will be a little money available to say the least. All about how soon Theo thinks we can compete, most likely not next year unless every prospect has rookie of the year type numbers. So I could still see him going for one guy but then holding off until 2016 to sign more. Remember he did go after Sanchez and Tanaka pretty hard this past offseason so he isn't scared to go after pitching. I do like the fact we have been loading up on position players though, pitchers are too injury prone any more.

Theo has said he wants to bring in a few proven players so the prospects don't have too much pressure on them to carry the team. The most recent MLB released top 100 prospects has 4. Bryant AAA, 6. Baez AAA, 7. Russell AA, 37. Alcantara MLB, 41. Almora AA, 54. Soler AAA, 60. Edwards AA, and 79. Schwarber A adv.

Well guys I got to see game 1 of the DH on Saturday night, I didn't get to see game 2 because I had 3 women with me and yeah.... you know the rest of the story.
Anyway, Baez hit a 3 run bomb and double off the CF wall. He takes an enormous swing. You can't get a fastball by him. I think he still needs more seasoning myself though, as the breaking balls he was really struggling with and struck out twice on them badly. My fear is he would get a steady diet of them in the big leagues and struggle, I'd like to see him finish through AAA playoffs with Iowa at least. The way he swings he's gonna throw his back out by age 25 :D He is still VERY young. He also seems pretty cocky, which can be good but can also get you in trouble sometimes. I sense he is still learning how to be a pro.
Bryant - I love his approach at the plate. Has a nice wide base, much shorter swing than Baez but very powerful still obviously. He really struggled at 3B on a couple plays though, I still see him being a corner OF. Seemed very relaxed and interacted with fans well and just carried himself like a pro and guy that is ready to handle the responsibilities that come with being a big leaguer.
Soler - holy crap this guy is a specimen. He is about as tall as Bryant, but cut like a linebacker. Just all muscle and quite the sight. Hit a double in the first inning that just jumped off his bat not like many players. Would have liked to have seen him make a throw from RF. He didn't get much action out there, but has nice long strides. Long as he hustles and keeps learning he has a chance to be pretty solid. It was really fun seeing these guys 3-4-5 in the lineup. Mix in Rizzo and Castro with them could be pretty sweet. I don't want to see them rush them though.
FWIW, Olt still can't tell the difference between a curveball and a fastball. Starting to wonder if his struggles last year was really a "vision problem". seems to still have the problem ...
Soler and Bryant each signed an Autograph for me to add to my Cubs collection so that was cool too.

Theo has said he wants to bring in a few proven players so the prospects don't have too much pressure on them to carry the team. The most recent MLB released top 100 prospects has 4. Bryant AAA, 6. Baez AAA, 7. Russell AA, 37. Alcantara MLB, 41. Almora AA, 54. Soler AAA, 60. Edwards AA, and 79. Schwarber A adv.

I like the idea of having a mix of veterans (productive ones) and young blood. The young, talented prospects are obviously a good thing, but IMO it's also a good to have some experienced players on the team that can take the young guys under the wing a bit.

Well guys I got to see game 1 of the DH on Saturday night, I didn't get to see game 2 because I had 3 women with me and yeah.... you know the rest of the story.
Anyway, Baez hit a 3 run bomb and double off the CF wall. He takes an enormous swing. You can't get a fastball by him. I think he still needs more seasoning myself though, as the breaking balls he was really struggling with and struck out twice on them badly. My fear is he would get a steady diet of them in the big leagues and struggle, I'd like to see him finish through AAA playoffs with Iowa at least. The way he swings he's gonna throw his back out by age 25 :D He is still VERY young. He also seems pretty cocky, which can be good but can also get you in trouble sometimes. I sense he is still learning how to be a pro.
Bryant - I love his approach at the plate. Has a nice wide base, much shorter swing than Baez but very powerful still obviously. He really struggled at 3B on a couple plays though, I still see him being a corner OF. Seemed very relaxed and interacted with fans well and just carried himself like a pro and guy that is ready to handle the responsibilities that come with being a big leaguer.
Soler - holy crap this guy is a specimen. He is about as tall as Bryant, but cut like a linebacker. Just all muscle and quite the sight. Hit a double in the first inning that just jumped off his bat not like many players. Would have liked to have seen him make a throw from RF. He didn't get much action out there, but has nice long strides. Long as he hustles and keeps learning he has a chance to be pretty solid. It was really fun seeing these guys 3-4-5 in the lineup. Mix in Rizzo and Castro with them could be pretty sweet. I don't want to see them rush them though.
FWIW, Olt still can't tell the difference between a curveball and a fastball. Starting to wonder if his struggles last year was really a "vision problem". seems to still have the problem ...
Soler and Bryant each signed an Autograph for me to add to my Cubs collection so that was cool too.

"Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid..."

HATS FOR BATS

I too hope they don't rush them. The big club won't be competitive for another couple years anyways unless a complete overhaul is done with the pitching staff. Let them mature and grasp what it means to be a professional.

Latest posts