Check out the MSU message boards

I interpreted the award to Doyle that year as a loyalty thing, a have-your-back acknowledgement. I didn't think that was necessary to give him an award, particularly that year - not a shining moment in Doyle's otherwise respectable career. He wasn't getting fired, that was loyalty enough. The PR from it wasn't good, in fact it was bad. But the Iowa athletic department and PR are like oil and water a lot of times.

The reports provide there were 13 players involved, not 12. The only names revealed, by their own volition, were William Lowe, Jim Poggi and Shane DiBona. According to reports Poggi had a season ending shoulder surgery in 2011, and then left the program due to persistent injury issues. According to news reports, Shane DiBona missed the 2011 season due to an Achilles injury and then eventually gave up football due to a severe concussion. I believe Lowe never came back, and I haven't read anything to suggest it was any other injury. I know a lawsuit was settled in 2016 for something like $15K. I'm not certain of the fates of the other 10 players - I don't know who they were. I just don't think it's accurate to say that 12 (13) players lost their careers to Rhabdo, some may, Lowe being one.

One having to give up their career is too many. You nailed the loyalty thing. It was bad PR.

Not to mention Lowe wasn't exactly rocketing up the depth chart.

There was a lot of info out about several players "overindulging" in the the days leading up to the workout. It wasn't a new workout (had been done for years). Yet, a few folks want to criminalize it.

The report of the Committee is available online. They concluded, among other matters, that there was no recklessness or negligence on the part of the staff, although the staff was not that tuned into rhabdo before, and wasn't that aware of the symptoms. They also found that the players did nothing to contribute to this, i.e., had taken no substances, legal or otherwise, that caused or exacerbated the condition. Finally, they had done this workout twice before 2004 and 2007, but at different times of the year when the players were more "ready" for this type of workout. In this instance, they were coming off a three week break, so that lapse may have contributed to it all.

The report of the Committee is available online. They concluded, among other matters, that there was no recklessness or negligence on the part of the staff, although the staff was not that tuned into rhabdo before, and wasn't that aware of the symptoms. They also found that the players did nothing to contribute to this, i.e., had taken no substances, legal or otherwise, that caused or exacerbated the condition. Finally, they had done this workout twice before 2004 and 2007, but at different times of the year when the players were more "ready" for this type of workout. In this instance, they were coming off a three week break, so that lapse may have contributed to it all.

I wasn't talking "substances" as much as maybe a little alcohol fun. Not sure if that was addressed, or if it's even relevant.

I wasn't talking "substances" as much as maybe a little alcohol fun. Not sure if that was addressed, or if it's even relevant.
Got it. Although looking through that report it refreshed my memory that there was a claim that the players had taken something to make them more susceptible to rhabdo.

I also saw an article that a couple of Oregon players had rhabdo in 2017.

Got it. Although looking through that report it refreshed my memory that there was a claim that the players had taken something to make them more susceptible to rhabdo.

I also saw an article that a couple of Oregon players had rhabdo in 2017.

The Oregon situation was mentioned in the Frost/Nebraska story. Frost also said they did the workout at UCF without any problems.

While it's important for the training staff to be cognizant of potential risks of work-outs, rhabdo is actually a lot more common than most think, and can occur in a variety of situations. Marathon runners for example, people performing demanding workouts on their own, and even people undergoing prolonged surgery procedures due to positioning, can experience it. Other than extreme cases, it is rarely life or career threatening.

Not defending MSU in any way, shape, or form, but I hope you guys all know that these kinds of things happen at every university with a major sports program. It’s 100% wrong and people who do it should be tossed in the river, not jail...

However, P5 football and basketball players are treated like rock stars by both staff and students alike, and their larger than life personas give them way more assumed power and “untouchableness” than any other students. They’re put on a pedestal and literally think they can get away with anything (and they usually do).

I’m going on record as saying that if you don’t think these things happen in Iowa City then you’re head is in the sand. If you don’t like the thought of it that’s fine, I don’t either...but you’re ignorant. Iowa and any other schools are only different in that they didn’t have a Larry Nassar in the program to open the flood gates.

Let’s not get on our high horses here and shout to the world that no one’s ever been sexually assaulted by an athlete at Iowa and the athlete allowed to continue. That’s a good way to end up eating crow.
Well said.With much clarity.Believe Iowa on its Toes! Watching oh so careful.JOCKS get waay too much POWER.Human nature. Must be vigilant.

Latest posts