CHA will it be rocking?

My son just told me he seen Elvis when they ran down the steps to try and catch a t-shirt. He said he stood next to him.

But yeah the students need a vocal leader, someone willing to get a little crazy to get them fired up.
Today was a pretty big game for Iowa and a chance to enter the top 10 in the national standings.

Yet, we couldn't fill up the student section again. The University even eliminated Sections 'E' and 'F' from the students and gave those to the general public.

They need to give the students the first 20 rows from sections E,F,G,H,I,J,K and sell rows 21-42 to the general public. That would eliminate that giant empty section you see at every game.

My son just told me he seen Elvis when they ran down the steps to try and catch a t-shirt. He said he stood next to him.

But yeah the students need a vocal leader, someone willing to get a little crazy to get them fired up.

69037_569177276500528_1451276972_n.jpg

Today was a pretty big game for Iowa and a chance to enter the top 10 in the national standings.

Yet, we couldn't fill up the student section again. The University even eliminated Sections 'E' and 'F' from the students and gave those to the general public.

They need to give the students the first 20 rows from sections E,F,G,H,I,J,K and sell rows 21-42 to the general public. That would eliminate that giant empty section you see at every game.

Students weren't fully back from break yet today.

Students weren't fully back from break yet today.
They start back tomorrow. Also, Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area is quite large. You can't tell me there aren't 4,000 University of Iowa students that live within a 20 mile drive of Iowa City.
Not every student is from out of state.

The new generation of Iowa fans/students are huge fairweather fans.

(by the way, this post isn't directed at you. it sure sounds like it though lol)

Odd how we have to make excuses for our students when any other game I watch of a top school has no problems filling their student sections.

I don't remember having to make excuses for the students back in the Tom Davis days.

Odd how we have to make excuses for our students when any other game I watch of a top school has no problems filling their student sections.

I don't remember having to make excuses for the students back in the Tom Davis days.
Other schools don't have to protect a #1 ranking ;). It was a early Sunday game. Most college kids are still hungover and still in bed by 12 pm.

Students.....if your team is Top 10, you get your booty back to to campus and cheer on your team man! You can drink or do the thing when the game is over....its only two hours, give your team some support.

I know this is going to be another excuse, but a lot of students are from Illinois and were not Hawkeye fans from birth. They only became 'fans' when they got to school here or maybe their senior year of high school. All they know about Iowa bball is we were horrible a few years ago and wrote us off as the same quality of team as the bad years. That being said, I expect the student's section to be near or at capacity the rest of the year. BTW this is coming from a student who hasn't missed a home game in 3 years :cool:

I know this is going to be another excuse, but a lot of students are from Illinois and were not Hawkeye fans from birth. They only became 'fans' when they got to school here or maybe their senior year of high school. All they know about Iowa bball is we were horrible a few years ago and wrote us off as the same quality of team as the bad years. That being said, I expect the student's section to be near or at capacity the rest of the year. BTW this is coming from a student who hasn't missed a home game in 3 years :cool:

So what in your mind, is exactly the problem anyways?

First-Year Student Profile | Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Iowa

First year student profile for the Fall 2013 semester.
48% are from Iowa
30% are from Illinois
11% are from out of state(excluding illinois)
11% are from another country

Again, half the students are FROM Iowa. You can't tell me we can't find 3,000 students in the area, no matter what time of the year it is.

It's excuse after excuse for this young fan base.
"Kinnick or Carver is too far from where we live"
"School is on break"
"Parking isn't free"

Students have 4 years to access these sporting events for pennies on the dollar. Once you graduate, you're paying a lot more to attend these games. Just can't believe they don't take advantage of it while they can.

They start back tomorrow. Also, Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area is quite large. You can't tell me there aren't 4,000 University of Iowa students that live within a 20 mile drive of Iowa City.
Not every student is from out of state.

The new generation of Iowa fans/students are huge fairweather fans.

(by the way, this post isn't directed at you. it sure sounds like it though lol)

It's cool man. You make a good point. My daughter had to move in today at noon, not a second before. So, she opted to do that. When I was a student, we typically did the fun stuff first (ball games) and not-so-fun stuff 2nd (moving).

Then again, that was in the era of Lute Olson, contending teams, and etc. Hawk BB was ingrained in us. These days, not so much.

So what in your mind, is exactly the problem anyways?

There still is a notion that this team is like the previous years in the thought that they are not very good. And the fact that Iowa bball has not been a statewide 'event' is quite some years so there are less younger fans than in years past.

Also honestly the marketing for getting students to attend games is beyond pathetic. I know we shouldn't have to do it, but obviously it needs to be done to get the students into Carver.

Latest posts