CHA will it be rocking?

We could use even a couple of vocal fans sitting towards the front that is not afraid to jaw at the refs and will turn and wave their arms in the air to try and get people into the game.

haha. If people at a college basketball game need some overweight dude in their 50's to run around and encourage them to get on their feet and be loud then they probably should just leave the game.

I absolutely hate this guy at sporting events.

The students at the Fieldhouse were never court side. We sat in the upper balcony including the pep band. We stomped on those old metal bleachers and screamed until you could not here the person next to you. Quit making excuses and start yelling your guts out.

1. The Field House was about the size of a shoebox. Fans were right on top of the court, just like at Kinnick (which is what visiting teams have repeatedly said is what makes Kinnick tough to play in).

2. Those metal bleachers made a **** ton of noise by nature. There is nothing like that available to most of the fans, and the pull out bleachers aren't the same.

Carver, even at its very best, doesn't hold a candle to the Field House in terms of intimidation/home court advantage.

I think the acoustics in Carver have a lot to do with it. Sound doesn't echo around in there.

^^ this is part of it as the big open walk ways at the top suck out and trap a lot of noise that ends up getting lost. At least this is what I read and heard as far back as 1990 or so.

But that being said, if you are sitting down in the first 20 rows it can be loud, it is loud for the players.

When Alfords team barely lost to Georgia Tech and Chris Bosh my kids and I were in about row 15 even with the baseline and it was loud.

Last year at the Stony Brook NIT game I was up high and I knew it was loud but it didnt sound as loud.

Now I am old so I saw tons of games from 1969 to 1985 in old fieldhouse and it could be tremendously loud.
I would really like to see the students all brought down lower to form a U shape from side to behind the basket to the other side at the end where the opponent is shooting in the second half.

Screw the old people who dont yell cuz I yell.

I think several aisles need to be removed in the lower 1/3 of CHA. It's ridiculous how much prime seating space is taken up by the aisles.

I think several aisles need to be removed in the lower 1/3 of CHA. It's ridiculous how much prime seating space is taken up by the aisles.

Good point, and once people are in their seats and the game is on you dont get up to go to the bathroom or get a coke, you sit and cheer.

I expect it will be rocking for sure. When Iowa is good, CHA is good. This momentum they've been building the past few years is culminating.

If they keep winning it will get louder and louder. I think this weekend is going to be treated like a big game by the fans.

haha. If people at a college basketball game need some overweight dude in their 50's to run around and encourage them to get on their feet and be loud then they probably should just leave the game.

I absolutely hate this guy at sporting events.

I couldn't help but laugh at this. It does not have to be a 50 year old slob.

The NIT game vs Dayton 2 years ago was very loud. That wasn't season tickets holders or students. It was lots of families. No reason not to be loud the rest of the year.

Been through this over and over, but it is cool if you want to discuss it again. But you have to get the students out from behind the basket and it will never happen. It is an older crowd that are season ticket holders and sitting in the best seats. The fans that used to have the old Fieldhouse rocking are now old and Iowa lost a good deal of younger fans from the Alford years through the Lick years. The younger fans that do go to the game are all stuck at the top of the arena and in the corners where we can scream and hollar all we want but no one will hear us.

There you have it.....

:cool:

The NIT game vs Dayton 2 years ago was very loud. That wasn't season tickets holders or students. It was lots of families. No reason not to be loud the rest of the year.

Good point, I was at that game and last season against Stony Brook. Completely different crowd and the team responded to the energy.

Maybe the reason it isn't loud is because the real fans were there that night.

I think Iowa has great fans, but a horrible basketball crowd. The passionate Iowa fan who is a working man prole can't afford season tickets close to the court. That guy was able to get tickets to that NIT game. He came and screamed and cheered his *** off.

Carver will be loud on Sunday. Look at ticket prices to just get INSIDE Carver. It's $100+ on stubhub.
When was the last time it cost 100 bucks to watch a game? I can't recall...

The demand for this game is at an all time high. Fans aren't going to spend 100 dollars to sit on their hands.

It had better be rocking. I hate it when it's packed but quiet as a church on monday morning. Some say it happens because "Carver is too comfortable for its own good"...I think it happens because our fans sit there waiting for the rug to get pulled out from under their feet instead of helping the team build momentum to ensure that doesn't happen.

I think they should have fan try-outs for the good seats.
You get points for being able to stand. Points for yelling. Points for clapping and waving your arms.
I'm telling you...I'd be the first row. With Jack.

Yeah, but, you'd always be late! :rolleyes:

Carver will be loud on Sunday. Look at ticket prices to just get INSIDE Carver. It's $100+ on stubhub.
When was the last time it cost 100 bucks to watch a game? I can't recall...

The demand for this game is at an all time high. Fans aren't going to spend 100 dollars to sit on their hands.

Right on about the price. $100 for row 36, section KK on Stub Hub a couple of days ago.

The best my "personal" scalper could do was $92/each for about the same quality of seats.

Ouch.

I love how people pick the worst/best pics to make their point. My experience is that the student section is standing the entire game, sans timeouts. Poster chose to post the pic with them sitting. ISUs biggest games are against Iowa and Kansas, poster chose to post KU vs ISU. Also, not that it was that intimidating, but why did they get rid of the 100 or so students on the floor level, with the Hawks Nest border?

This just looking at The Breslin Center for example, no reason Carver can't have that lower ring.

th

Latest posts