Carton Update

It sounds like if he doesn't believe Iowa is the best chance for him to reach the NBA he will be going elsewhere. Michigan has a four star point guard coming in this year, and all the schools he is considering probably could be iffy if he ever started at any of them except Iowa. He is a good player, and I hope he does whats best for him, but that doesn't mean he will ever be in the NBA.

Odds Fran has an "Ace In The Hole" on this one?

Odds Fran sees another PG talent fritter off to a top 30 program?

Odds the AD knows who Carton is?

It sounds like if he doesn't believe Iowa is the best chance for him to reach the NBA he will be going elsewhere. Michigan has a four star point guard coming in this year, and all the schools he is considering probably could be iffy if he ever started at any of them except Iowa. He is a good player, and I hope he does whats best for him, but that doesn't mean he will ever be in the NBA.

He seemed kind of immature.

There doesn't seem to be a plan B for Fran. He seems to think his son can be a B1G point guard. I hope he has found a supplier for quickness pills to give him.

He seemed kind of immature.

He's what, 17? Of course he is.

"My top six isn't a final six," Carton said. "I'm still open with my recruiting."

Carton admitted if a blue blood offered, it would change his outlook.

This is definitely an ominous quote.

Getting a "real college degree" will serve him best of all...

That he is looking for "what's in it for me" "I am hopefully headed to the NBA" "thinks he is amazing" Public school product, right?

Hope he does well...but not convinced for a program like Iowa...trying to get and getting players whose focus is on the NBA as soon as possible is that helpful...

I hope DJ wasn't watching the draft last night, or at least when Mo got drafted. All Mo did was gush about Belein and Michigan helping him get to the NBA.

Getting guys into the NBA and having them stay there awhile isn't really on Fran's calling card right now.

"Kansas coach Bill Self, who coached the U18 team to a gold medal, talked with Carton during the tryout camp in Colorado Springs. He hasn't had any direct conversations with Duke or North Carolina."

I'd like to know more about how this works and how it is fair to all?

"Kansas coach Bill Self, who coached the U18 team to a gold medal, talked with Carton during the tryout camp in Colorado Springs. He hasn't had any direct conversations with Duke or North Carolina."

I'd like to know more about how this works and how it is fair to all?

It's not fair, it's a huge advantage to the U18 coach, and it's basically the reason why Duke has had a recent recruiting resurgence because K is the head guy for USA basketball and gets all kinds of access to the top talent from a young age.

Guys, what in the f*cking hell are you all talking about? There is zero, and I mean ZERO chance that a top 25-30 recruit ever comes to Iowa. Ever.

It's not fair, it's a huge advantage to the U18 coach, and it's basically the reason why Duke has had a recent recruiting resurgence because K is the head guy for USA basketball and gets all kinds of access to the top talent from a young age.

Kind of my thoughts too, I was making sure I wasn't missing something. Kind of a joke, they could easily find another coach such as a currently unemployed NBA coach etc to coach these guys. Ridiculous, and of course they choose blue blood coaches to be the USA coach as if they need any more help recruiting.

I don't see anything immature about this kid. Taking his time to make a decision. He isn't committing and then de-committing. I have no problem with his process. More kids should do the same.

For him to have dreams of the NBA isn't a bad thing. Most kids his age haven't figured out their careers either. To have a dream and not reach it isn't a bad thing. The college part will come with whatever school he chooses. If he isn't good enough to go pro early, then I'm sure a college degree will land in his hands with plenty of choices at that point from whatever college he chooses.

With all that said, I'm hoping the logistics of Iowa and family ties have some influence on his decision. I'm seeing his maturity in my eyes as something that actually gives us a more of a chance than not.