Canzeri transfer rumblings????

Indeed. Mossad pounds the sh!t out of the defense. But that hitting doesn't come for free. That kind of hitting is like being involved in a couple dozen car accidents in the span of 3 hours. It adds up, and regardless of how brutish Mossad might be, he's going to wear down over time. It's physiology. The abusive way he runs ought to be limited to 20 carries on the high end if Kurt harbors any intention of that kid playing through the season productively.

I could care less about the "big picture". We needed Weisman to shoulder the load on Saturday to ensure a win; as sad as that is, I'd rather make sure we don't lose to Missouri State for the sake of keeping Weisman in the lineup in November.

That said, it's not like Weisman is going to average 30 carries a game. He got 30 because he needed to.

Ferentz is making the same fatal mistake he made last year, even when some games were out of reach. You don't think Jake or any of the other returning QBs wouldn't at least have had a leg up had they had some actual playing experience last year? That they wouldn't have had an idea what to expect and wouldn't panic in the pocket or make bad reads? I'll go out on a pretty firm limb here and suggest that a QB with even a minimum of experience would have won this year's opener and may have given Kirk-Davis the cushion to insert someone else late in Saturday's game. This game is not played in a vacuum, ladies and gentlemen. Ferentz is getting further and further behind the 8 ball...

Sure they would have. But Saturday's game wasn't "out of reach," and neither was the NIU game. They were close games, and that's not the time to experiment or give out reps just to get your backup in the game so he has a little experience. I don't understand why you can't differentiate what we've seen through two weeks from what we saw against PSU last year (when Rudock absolutely should have gotten some snaps).

Sure they would have. But Saturday's game wasn't "out of reach," and neither was the NIU game. They were close games, and that's not the time to experiment or give out reps just to get your backup in the game so he has a little experience. I don't understand why you can't differentiate what we've seen through two weeks from what we saw against PSU last year (when Rudock absolutely should have gotten some snaps).

You're missing my point, Tork. I totally agree Rudock or one of the other backups should have gotten some reps last year when games were out of reach. IMHO, that experience would have translated to stronger performances in the first two games this year and perhaps have allowed Kirk-Davis to insert a backup late in either of those games. At this point, I don't see any chance that Iowa has a cushion in the remaining 10 games to give backups at the skill positions playing time. The staff seems caught in a cycle of feeling they have to play only starters because the games either will be so close or in deficits that it would be difficult to play anyone else.

He isn't that good anyway. Show him the door cause we only need players that really want to be there.

You're missing my point, Tork. I totally agree Rudock or one of the other backups should have gotten some reps last year when games were out of reach. IMHO, that experience would have translated to stronger performances in the first two games this year and perhaps have allowed Kirk-Davis to insert a backup late in either of those games. At this point, I don't see any chance that Iowa has a cushion in the remaining 10 games to give backups at the skill positions playing time. The staff seems caught in a cycle of feeling they have to play only starters because the games either will be so close or in deficits that it would be difficult to play anyone else.

No, Iowa won't have a positive cushion large enough in their remaining games to get a backup in. But I would bet that there will be at least a couple Big Ten games where we'll be getting drilled badly enough to get Beathard some snaps (Ohio State and Michigan spring to mind), and I don't think Ferentz will make that mistake again in those situations.

I can say that I don't.

New poster, from Las Vegas. Are you... Hayden Fry???

h7E478065

No, Iowa won't have a positive cushion large enough in their remaining games to get a backup in. But I would bet that there will be at least a couple Big Ten games where we'll be getting drilled badly enough to get Beathard some snaps (Ohio State and Michigan spring to mind), and I don't think Ferentz will make that mistake again in those situations.

Experience suggests otherwise but I hope you are right. (Ferentz's experience, that is...)

I thought we were going to see a backup QB and or RB on the last drive of last week. This game might be the game instead. Maybe Western Michigan, Minnesota, Purdue, and in perhaps a few more games Iowa might have a big enough lead again. I think a 2 touchdown lead with 2 minutes left is just fine for that.

Canzeri will get his chances this year. He did a much better job last week then against NIU. If he can continue to produce when given carries then the more he will get. But he is still going to be limited because there are 3 other backs they are playing.

Did anyone else like the fact that we are rotating RB in the middle of series this year? It seemed to me that before, KF like to give RB a whole drive to work with. Now if Weisman rips off a 15 or 20 yd run, in comes Bullock. I really like this, as I think eventually it will lead to big runs by a Bullock and Canzeri, and RB and personnel are constantly changing, even the RB's.

I really think that KF wants Weisman to carry the bulk, and Daniels to spell him with 5-10 carries a game. Then Canzeri will spell Bullock, and they will both see more limited touches. I don't think they are looking at it like a RB 1-4, they are looking at it like #1 RB's in Weisman and Bullock, and their backups will be Daniels and Canzeri respectively.

Did anyone else like the fact that we are rotating RB in the middle of series this year? It seemed to me that before, KF like to give RB a whole drive to work with. Now if Weisman rips off a 15 or 20 yd run, in comes Bullock. I really like this, as I think eventually it will lead to big runs by a Bullock and Canzeri, and RB and personnel are constantly changing, even the RB's.

I really think that KF wants Weisman to carry the bulk, and Daniels to spell him with 5-10 carries a game. Then Canzeri will spell Bullock, and they will both see more limited touches. I don't think they are looking at it like a RB 1-4, they are looking at it like #1 RB's in Weisman and Bullock, and their backups will be Daniels and Canzeri respectively.

Personally, I'd like to see Daniels and Canzeri flipped in that design. Give both tandems a "thunder and lightning" feel.

The SEC would laugh at Iowa's version of no-huddle and blitz, as I suspect Patty Fitz will Oct. 26 when he brings NU to Iowa City. Their players likely saw both run better in junior high.

No-huddle doesn't mean hurry-up. Iowa isn't trying to be like Oregon and never has. But Ferentz always seemed very reluctant to stop huddling, and our previous dabbles were pretty pathetic (save for Pitt 2011).

We don't blitz like SEC teams because we don't have SEC athletes. I really like our linebackers, but none of them will be confused for Donta Hightower or Brandon Spikes. Whether our blitzes are up to your standards is not the same as saying we don't blitz, which has always been a complaint regarding our defense. Are they particularly effective? Not really. But we have been blitzing a lot more than in years past.

As another poster said either in this or another thread, people are letting the end results blind them to the fact that this team IS doing things differently.

No-huddle doesn't mean hurry-up. Iowa isn't trying to be like Oregon and never has. But Ferentz always seemed very reluctant to stop huddling, and our previous dabbles were pretty pathetic (save for Pitt 2011).

We don't blitz like SEC teams because we don't have SEC athletes. I really like our linebackers, but none of them will be confused for Donta Hightower or Brandon Spikes. Whether our blitzes are up to your standards is not the same as saying we don't blitz, which has always been a complaint regarding our defense. Are they particularly effective? Not really. But we have been blitzing a lot more than in years past.

As another poster said either in this or another thread, people are letting the end results blind them to the fact that this team IS doing things differently.

Teams certainly can do things differently -- heck, Todd Lickliter took it to the next level from whatever Steve Alford was doing -- but the end result is the bottom line. Iowa's loss to NIU in the opener and narrow win over an inferior team Saturday effectively dropped the Hawks out of any consideration for the national championship.

Latest posts